Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 more Leonard Kwan TABS?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

surfguitar
Aloha

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2013 :  6:36:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit surfguitar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Where can I find TABS for Leonard Kwan's Yellow Ginger Lei and Maori Brown Eyes? Any help in finding would be greatly appreciated! thanks. (I have his instruction book and those songs are not included...)

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2013 :  07:05:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No tabs here, and doubt that there's many transcriptions. I assume you may have same liner notes I do:
but just in case,

"My Yellow Ginger Lei" is in Taropatch tuning, as part of a medley on "The Legendary Leonard Kwan...Slack key--the complete recordings.
also on that set,

"Maori Brown Eyes" is in (of course) Maori Brown Eyes tuning=
D-G-D-E-G-D, a G Mauna Loa tuning
Ozzie also plays it in 4/4 time, a Leonard adaption from 3/4 original versions.

I know Ozzie does a nice version in Taropatch he's taught at camps, (probably close to feel, form, and melodic constructs of Leonard's, although I haven't checked Leonard's version lately), also 4/4 time, which he's tabbed and used this in his classes...but since Ozzie had a million requests, doesn't offer tabs except in classes, as far as I know.

IS Ozzie still teaching workshops or classes anymore? Not only is he one of the great players, he's a great teacher and keeping slack key alive and spreading throughout our enthusiastic fingers and minds!
most of his teaching materials use, (as in his performances), Taropatch, Drop C, and for a couple tunes, C Mauna Loa.
But if you figure some of this out in Taropatch, and know a little of the Mauna Loa interval work on top 2 strings, you might get a good start.

The string tuned to E in Leonard's Maori Brown Eyes tuning, is to help execute bass line easily.
Ozzie (in taropatch) accomplishes this bass line with a 2 different positons--one up the neck, and also shifts back and forth, to same note (E) at 2nd fret on the 4th string, depending on where the melody is traveling-- a couple ways to reach the 6th with his 2nd finger in the repeating "boogie woogie-like" bass line. But if you ever watch Ozzie, there's no frantic movement to get to the high and low version--always economy of motions!

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 03/12/2013 07:17:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

Haolenuke
Lokahi

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2013 :  06:26:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha,

See: http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=606
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic