Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Tuners
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Cotham
Aloha

17 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2004 :  3:19:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cotham's Homepage
I would be interested in hearing what kind of tuner you experienced folks use to get rapidly and efficiently between tunings.I am using an Intellitouch, but it doesn't work particularly well, especially for the bass string. I am trying to learn to play in a variety of interesting tunings but it is so frustrating that I can see why some people never leave the Taro patch.

Texas Ed

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2004 :  3:29:55 PM  Show Profile
There is a gizmo called a "universal pickup" that plugs into chromatic tuners like the inexpensive but good Korgs. It is something, in principle, like the Intellitouch, but the transfer of the vibrations is more accurate. It is an alligator clip attached to a wire with a jack. In the jaws of the clip is a glob of piezoelectric material. You clip this onto one of the tuning posts (usually a bass string post) and use the tuner as usual, except its mic is disabled. I first worried that the clip would scar the posts, but it doesn't.

There is a version that has a pad that clips onto the headstock, but like the Intellitouch, doesn't pick up the vibrations accurately.

...Reid

Edited by - Reid on 10/04/2004 3:30:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2004 :  3:49:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
I use two different tuners that both work pretty well.

My first preference is the Wittman Mini, which I mount inside the soundhole of the guitar. It's accurate and sensitive, and because it's in the shadows it's easy to see even in bright sunlight. The big disadvantage is having to buy one for each guitar.

http://www.fqms.com/fqm/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Product_ID=4274&CATID=8

I also use a Guyatone PT-21. It is also accurate, sticks to the body of the guitar with semi-sticky double sided tape, and it's pretty sensitive. It can be hard to see in direct sunlight, and it's one of the few tuners that I've found require reading the documentation. Some of its functions require slightly elaborate button pushing sequences. I used to use Sabine stick-on tuners, but their sticky pad lost its adhesion pretty quickly compared to the Guyatone.

http://www.fqms.com/fqm/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Product_ID=2077&CATID=8

A trick I've heard of when using the Intellitouch is to play the 12th fret harmonic when tuning low strings. Perhaps this will solve your problem.

Another trick is to place a more conventional tuner, like the Korg mentioned by Reid, directly on the side of the guitar when tuning. This seems to improve the sensitivity.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2004 :  4:21:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Fran,

You mentioned the Wittman before at http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=376

Just curious, can you install this tuner yourself or do you suggest that a pro do it? Especially the splicing the power source part?

Andy
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2004 :  5:00:45 PM  Show Profile
Fran sez:
quote:
A trick I've heard of when using the Intellitouch is to play the 12th fret harmonic when tuning low strings. Perhaps this will solve your problem.

Yes, this works well. It's the best way to tune the 6th string with an Intellitouch. Try picking the string closer to the saddle than the sound hole.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Lowell
Aloha

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2004 :  6:41:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lowell's Homepage
Aloha!

I have found the Intellitouch to be the best shot at getting it right fastest on stage. I have learned that the secret to life with this tuner is using the 12th harmonic as the others have stated either on uke or guitar. Sometimes the thing gets stuck and just freezes, so I just turn it off, and start again. But overall, it's what all of my students use and it's done real well for them. 12th harmonic! Best of luck. Lowell
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2004 :  7:07:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Admin

Fran,

You mentioned the Wittman before at http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=376

Just curious, can you install this tuner yourself or do you suggest that a pro do it? Especially the splicing the power source part?

Andy, I've been tinkering with low voltage audio type wiring since I was a kid, so I do it myself. If you can solder it's a no-brainer. And it's not really necessary to splice the power leads. I just do it to be ornery. Kathy Wingert installed the Wittman and a B-Band in the guitar she built for me and put in two batteries.

I use 3M double stick transparent tape instead of the foam tape that comes with the Wittman, it holds longer. This tape looks red when you buy it but that's the backing rather than the tape itself. I've had issues with a tiny buzz from the lens on the front of the Wittman, so I put a drop of glue on either end of the lens to take care of that.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

jlsulle
Lokahi

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2004 :  9:11:45 PM  Show Profile  Send jlsulle a Yahoo! Message
Hello All,
For those of you who have found the Sabine tuner to loose its sticky after awhile; just wipe the pad with rubbing alcohol and it will be good as new. Jlsulle'
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2004 :  11:14:59 PM  Show Profile

Yeah, the intellitouch tuners are a great mechanical concept,
I just wish their electronics were as good as Korg's. My
Korgs never get lost and switche from one note to the next at
the 50 cent point (as they should). The intellitouch seems
to have a LARGE deadband at each note boundary, so if you are
in-between notes it tells you either NOTHING, OR worse yet,
THE WRONG NOTE. In noisy environments, I have broken strings
on at least four occaisions due to these problems, (I keep
tuning up and up, hoping the thing will finally tell me where
I am, but the string breaks first). Of course it helps to do
the Octave Harmonic thing on the low strings (I do it on the
lower three (after Keoki Kahumoku gave me the hint)), but this
deadband is a definite "feature" of these tuners.

I still buy and use these tuners because of the sheer mechanical
convienience (three of them so far). And have used them on my
three guitars, several borrowed guitars, and my wifes two ukes.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2004 :  11:27:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
i agree with all the comments on the intellitouch tuners. i still use one because they're convenient, but sometimes ya gotta be patient with them.

i also have a Boss TU-12 (http://www.bossus.com/index.asp?pg=1&tmp=67) which works very well and is, i think, more accurate than the intellitouch. i plug it into the pickup of my guitar. it has an external mic that works well in quiet environments. there's probably a bunch of tuners as good or better than this one too.

aloha, keith
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2004 :  11:51:01 PM  Show Profile
I really like a Korg with a Matrix pick up.
I also have a Fender tuner, a bit larger and a bit heavier than a Korg, but otherwise it operates and displays much the same.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

BreezePlease
Akahai

Japan
86 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2004 :  10:34:39 AM  Show Profile
I use the Guyatone, mentioned by Fran above. It has no problem at all with the bass strings (I regularly switch between C and D on the lowest) and is a godsend for kanikapilas for quick tuning changes. Previously used an el-cheapo Korg. This is much better.

One potential drawback, perhaps, for those with expensive rare-wood backs/sides is that it sticks directly on the guitar using adhesive pads. I've never had a problem with this, but then my guitars are such that I would have no qualms about using any of them to propel or steer a water-borne vessel.

-dean
Go to Top of Page

Steven Espaniola
Lokahi

225 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2004 :  4:40:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Steven Espaniola's Homepage
I've tried a lot of tuners and Intellitouch are my favorite. I've even replaced ones I've lost. Try to look for the PT-1 as that backlight comes in handy on dark stages.

Steven
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2004 :  5:27:04 PM  Show Profile
That dead zone on the Intellitouch can be a slight problem -- when I hit it I tune DOWN till I get a reading. I find I have to place the tuner in different spots depending on the guitar -- some spots are "sweeter" than others -- As to its accuracy -- maybe my ears are just getting old, but I can't really tell a difference of 1 , 2 or 3 cents. If it doesn't make a real difference to my playing, I don't worry about it. Intellitouch is still my favorite.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2004 :  2:50:44 PM  Show Profile
Oops .. last night it was proven to me that I can there a 3 cent difference. Still shakey on the 1 and 2 cent.
Go to Top of Page

Stringbreaker
Akahai

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2004 :  4:25:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stringbreaker's Homepage
I must be drastically behind the times. I have an A tuning fork and an E tuning fork. If I am so far out in the twinkies that neither one works for any of the harmonics or convenient fretted notes, I go back to Standard, focus the guitar, then go back into strangeness. I also build custom tuning charts which show where all of the unisons and octaves hide so I can spot check on tunings I use a lot. Finally, I do spot checks on a single string with my keyboard if nothing else works.

Crazy Man Tuning

Edited by - Stringbreaker on 10/08/2004 4:26:08 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000