Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 Kanikapila at wdf's on 4/23/05
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  05:11:21 AM  Show Profile
To honor Don (Ianui) and Linda Narup, and to say Aloha to them on their forthcoming move to Nevada, there will be a kanikapila and potluck at Sheila and Dusty (wdf) Foster's house on Saturday, 4/23/05 starting at 3 PM.

Come and meet Sarah and Reid who will be visiting So Cal. We need volunteers to bring appetizers, salads, entrees and desserts. Please let me know if you are coming and what you can bring and I will send you directions. You can email me through my profile.

Dusty

Edited by - wdf on 04/06/2005 05:58:21 AM

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2005 :  1:03:40 PM  Show Profile
If anyone needs directions let me know and I'll email them to you.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2005 :  04:16:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
aloha all,

dusty and sheila hosted one great kanikapila at their beautiful house high in the hills above the san luis rey river. as well as the normal ol' SDSKS crowd, in attendence were reid and sarah, who added a large amount of hawaiian class. sarah did a moving chant written originally for hawaiians in california, reminding them that they were not less because they were away from the islands; it fit the occassion perfectly as we all felt the impending move of the narups to the las vegas area.

dusty and sheila pulled together a wonderful pictureboard of the SDSKS members, and don brought us all to tears as he spoke of his aloha for us and he encouraged us all to keep moving forward. and then, rik awarded don with the most coveted Spammie award for lifetime achievement (the selection committee is clearlly improving in choosing award winners).

we had great kaukau and great music. just like when andy came out, reid and sarah showed us west coasters that the east coast is the home of beautiful technique and great music, vocals included. mmh, i'm still thinking about those hammer-on and pull-offs that poured off of sarah's guitar like a cascade of water in waipi`o. my own high point was jammin' with sarah, especially when bill filled in. what fun!!

plans are afoot for the whole group to show up at don and linda's new place unnanounced with geetars, beer and musubi in hand.

aloha,
keith

Edited by - marzullo on 04/24/2005 04:18:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2005 :  07:02:44 AM  Show Profile
Chunk says WOW! I'm on emotional overload after 4 days of Hawaiian stuff. Mrs Chunk is currently listening to Fleetwood Mac to come down.
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2005 :  1:47:17 PM  Show Profile
Ditto Chunk.
Eddie Kamae Thursday, Ohana Brown Friday, Kanikapila at Dusty's Saturday. Whew!! plenny kine music for all.
:-)
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2005 :  1:41:42 PM  Show Profile
Aloha kakou, e o'u mau hoa ki ho'alu!

Just back from a *spectacular* weekend in San Diego, made possible by all our SDSKS slack key friends and their incomparable hospitality and aloha.

Chunky Monkey and Mrs. Chunk - Terry and Mary - generously opened their home, Mokupuni i Na Pu'u, to Reid and me for the weekend and arranged everything for us so smoothly, and entertained us with their many, many amazing stories. A mahalo *nunui* to them for such a wonderful time and for sharing so much.

We were able to attend the 'Ohana Brown concert in Carlsbad (and even a rehearsal the night before and saw what hard work Don and Linda put into these things), and a SCSKS kanikapila honoring Don at Dusty and Sheila's splendid home-with-a-view. So much good music, so much good food, and so much good company! And I've never had such huge, sweet, ripe strawberries :-o

It was a joy to see Kevin again and to catch up on news and talk of old times. Keith and Susie hosted an after-concert get-together for us all to eat, chat, and relax – warm mahalos to them for more hospitality and aloha, and a time that allowed us to catch up with Kevin. Ikaika and Ka'ena just keep getting better and better every time we hear them. What the three of them create together is magic. Aloha and mahalo to Kevin dem for the beautiful evening! A hui hou ma Maui!

It was another "life-changing" trip, meeting everyone we did in the SCSKS... Many mahalo a nui to everyone... to Don and Linda - what luck to get to meet you before you move to LV (hope we get to see you both again, there) and Don, I love your Bb Wahine tuning; to Dusty and Sheila - what hospitality, beautiful photographs, and sweet nahenahe guitar; to Keith and Susie - again, the hospitality shined, and Keith, I'll always remember that sweet Pu'uanahulu with you and Bill; to Bill B. - thanks for the jamming and the capo experience ;-) ; to Ken, Rik & Donna, Auntie Nancy, to the friends who stopped in to visit and showed such interest in slack key and Hawaiian, and to Cpatch and his darling daughter Rachel, who made it over for a brief visit at the kanikapila on Saturday... It's wonderful to have faces and voices to put with the names on TP, and I was delighted to hear everyone's personal style of playing. So much good stuff! The weekend was sensory overload ... of the best sort!

In fact, today, as I read postings, I feel like I just put on glasses with a new prescription - I see postings so much more clearly, now that I have met you guys! :-)

E Andy, thanks again for your brainchild here, taropatch.net.... it's a household word for so many, and being given credit at concerts, and keeping us all in touch. Mahalo a nui loa.

me ke aloha no,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2005 :  05:24:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Sarah said it so eloquently. Reading her post reminds me of similar feelings evoked by my visit to San Diego. Makes we wonder if I ever expressed it?

In case not, I agree 100%. The aloha, musicianship and friendships of SCSKS are tremendous. Made my business trip special and memorable. Much aloha to all of you.

And, this indeed is a special place. But again, it's the people who hang out and post here from musicians, fans, students, etc. It's the people that make the relationships and the music. Taropatch.net is lucky to have you.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2005 :  05:36:36 AM  Show Profile
Sarah already said much of what we experienced in San Diego, but I thought I would add my mana`o.

As Uncle Ray says, “Words can not express…”. Sometimes, it is difficult to describe an experience without sounding sappy or effusive. Somehow, the usual “mahalo” and “aloha”, and most of the superlatives I can think of, just don’t do the job. That is especially true when you have an experience that will stay with you for the rest of your life. Sarah and I have been lucky to have had a few experiences like that, and our visit to San Diego is one. So, bear with me.

I am trying to get my mind around how and why Terry and Mary, Keith and Susie, Dusty and Shiela, Don and Linda, and all the rest of the Southern California Slack Key crew, just made two complete strangers part of their family. After all, the only thing they knew about us was that we liked slack key and Hawaiian culture. Given the peculiar anonymity of artificial Web “communities”, we might have been two-headed aliens from Alpha Centauri. And, in fact, we admit to, and sort of like, being a bit unusual.

Nonetheless, Terry and Mary altered the courses of their daily lives, took us into their home, fed us, entertained us, made sure we got plenty of exercise, took us on the Official Chunky Monkey Tour ™, integrated us into the group, and made sure we got to see, close up, our dear friends Kevin and Ikaika and Ka`ena display their wonderful talent and warmth.

BTW, Terry gave us a preview of Slack Tracks, and it is brilliantly conceived and executed. If you don’t get a set, you are going to be mightily disappointed.

Then, Keith and Susie arranged a post-concert soiree that allowed us to have some quality time with Kevin dem. Catching up with their lives, after a 2 year gap, was really important to us.

The next day we got to know just how talented and bright and friendly and generous everyone was, as we spent half a day at Dusty’s and Sheila’s house enjoying the company, the conversation, the music, the food and the ambience.

As I told Shiela, our visit had nothing to do with tourism; it was a kind of emotional pilgrimage. During our 4 days there, we were alternately euphoric, teary, laughing, amazed, and never less than fascinated.

So, maybe people who have bought the whole Hawaiian package get a kind of behavioral virus that makes them do wonderful things for others, right out of the blue. Yeah, I guess that’s it. And, maybe, “aloha” and “mahalo” haven’t been devalued by overuse.

So, aloha and mahalo to all our new friends; Aloha `oe, until we meet again.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2005 :  11:19:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage
Reid and Sarah I certainly agree its difficult to find the words that describe the feelings and emotions of this past weekend. As you saw displayed I had a few of my own. Probably the best way to describe it is you would have had to have been there to understand.

We are pleased to have shared with you what we have and thank you for the beautiful songs so skillfully played and sung by Sarah.

SCSKS is an exceptional group of people. Andy knowns, and now you know just how exceptional they are. Thank you for joining us and I know we will meet again.

Remember "What happens in Las Vegas Stays in Las Vegas"

Edited by - Ianui on 04/27/2005 11:42:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2005 :  12:52:52 PM  Show Profile
quote:

So that would mean if you make a million bucks there the money has to stay there too !!

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2005 :  1:49:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ianui

Yeah, especially if you live there!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  05:56:16 AM  Show Profile
Aahh... Nothing better than friends gathered in the true spirit of the music. Sheila and I want to say mahalo to all of you for making it possible.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000