Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 Ride Sharing - Moloka`i
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  06:00:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David,

You might give these website a try. The first is a shuttle service. I used it when I lived on Maui. The other is the Public Bus system.
http://www.speedishuttle.com/ and http://www.co.maui.hi.us/bus/

See ya soon,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  06:09:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by david r

Also, is anybody else who made a uke last year bringing it back this year? I'm ashamed to say I am just now putting the final coats of finish on mine.

Aloha David

I'm debating bringing mine. I finished it using the Tung (vs tongue) oil finish recommended by Dennis. Never learned to play it, except for two chords (but I just need two more and then I'm set, right? )

We'll see - I'm trying to limit the number of things I have to carry. But, I do want to show Dennis how it looks.

Puna

PS - oh no - I used a smilie! Pif, what hath you wrought?

Puna
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  09:27:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Careful Puna, it always starts with a little 'recreational emoticon usage' Think of smileys as gateway symbolism.......

just sayin' that's all

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  09:31:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha David,

Tell me about that uke? Is it worth the $$? I'm going to be building one this year as well. I think it supremely cool to build your own instrument in Hawaii, to take back and play Hawaiian music.

How much has Dennis pre-made on the assemblies?

/s/ too many questions

Go to Top of Page

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  11:20:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Commander

The 'ukes that you make with Dennis are extremely beautiful and sound wonderful. I've had mine appraised (a 'guesstimate' by a couple very knowledgable people) at $300 to $400.

So, in that sense, worth the $$. But, there is the 'supremely cool to build your own instrument in Hawaii' factor. There is also the very ha'aha'a'ole feeling when someone asks where you bought it and you reply 'I made it!'

For our class (the 'beta-test' of Dennis's workshop), Dennis had already pre-fab'd things that would be difficult or time-consuming at camp - the ribs are pre-bent, the top/bottom is loosely shaped, neck is mostly shaped with the fretboard/frets installed. But...altho Dennis has done a huge amount of prep work, you're not just gluing together some boards. You really feel that you've built your own, from 'scratch'.

Dennis also said that he learned from our experience, and would stream-line things a little more so that you don't have to spend 2-4 hours a day sanding. Like some of us did.

Puna

Puna
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  07:40:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Puna,

Too cool, thank you. I'm actually more stoked about Dennis' uke class than anything else. I really appreciate the synopsis on the procedure.

Mike

Go to Top of Page

sibi
Aloha

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2005 :  11:46:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha,
I'm flying into Ho`olehua the late afternoon of Thursday the 16th.
I'm getting a rental car at 4:30 if someone needs a ride around then. I'll be taking the car back the next day, Friday.
I will need a ride Friday the 17th from the airport to camp; can anyone help me out?

Also, need a ride from camp to airport on Monday the 27th for a 11 AM flight. Anybody going then?

thanks,
Sibyl
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000