Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 Swing Guitar Class
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  1:52:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha

A couple folks have wondered what the heck I'll be teaching at camp this year. So here's the skinny:

Swing Guitar is about playing swing rhythm on your guitar in standard tuning. Some of you may remember various late-nite hoots at earlier camps with Donley, Steve Grimes and myself bashing out Bob Wills, Fats Waller and Louis Jordan tunes.

That's what we'll be doing in this class. We'll also play some hapa haole stuff like Waikiki and Little Grass Shack. Consider it an outgrowth of the class Steve and I "taught" last year.

It is not a beginner class -- you should know basic barre chords and how to get around the neck a bit. We'll cover using extended chord forms like 6ths and 9ths, blues and the American Popular Song Form, enough harmony theory to get you out of a jam and comping in the style of Freddie Greene and Eldon Shamblin. So pack a flatpick.

If there's interest, we'll work on soloing, too. The emphasis is on getting you up and running quickly so we can make some music.

As the man said, It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing.....

Cheers,

Mark

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  2:49:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not to mention (and you didn't) Dog, Cindy Combs, Pat Cockett, etc, but who's keeping track. Let's do it in Taro. I-VI-II-VIs and II-V-Is are way cool and Atta's C really opens up the board.

Dawg
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  1:31:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Let's do it in Taro. I-VI-II-VIs and II-V-Is are way cool and Atta's C really opens up the board.

I'm sticking with standard tuning in the class for a number of reasons. One of which will become abundantly clear when I say, "Ok, let's modulate up a minor third for the solos, then another whole step for the last chorus..."

And yes, these kinds of changes are all over the slack key world: not just Pat & Cindy, but Gabby & Sonny & Leonard & Ikaika & Kevin & a Maui guy named Hal Nishida & on & on.

If you get right down to it, what's standard but a G6/9 tuning with the 6th in the bass, anyway???

Cheers,

M
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  6:24:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just love it when you say "modulate", you sexy thing.

Dawg
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  02:29:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Uh, uh, Mark, "standard" is really a messed up A wahine :-)

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  12:11:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been learning swing guitar from attending fiddle events which feature a lot of swing influence. It's an invaluable tool for jamming with musicians in other genres. There are so many inversions of chords and partial chords up the neck to learn. Plus, you can impress your friend when you throw in chord variations behind a lead instrument to change the color the music. I feel like after 30 years of strumming, I'm just beginning to touch the tip of the guitar iceberg in terms of understanding the instrument.
And swing fits into a lot of Hawaiian music, both oldtime and modern.
Although I haven't taken it, I highly recommend Mark's class to expand your guitar horizons.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  1:15:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahh, I can hear it now: San Antonio Rose. Bob Wills music and Lone Star beer!

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  3:32:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
And swing fits into a lot of Hawaiian music, both oldtime and modern.

quote:
Bob Wills music and Lone Star beer!

Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys recorded "The Hawaiian War Chant" in the 40's. What goes around, comes around.

Hey Dusty, didn't ya mean "Bob Wills music and Primo Beer?"

And Jesse -- nothing like sock rhythm with swing chords to back up a fiddle. That's where I learned, too. Been a few years since I've been to Weiser, tho'. Thanks for the endorsement.

Uncle Mark

Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  05:17:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK this swing class is sounding pretty darn good, now. Jesse, your comment about just now touching the tip of the iceberg in terms of understanding the instrument struck a "chord" with me too. And sounds like I have a ways to go before I get to your level...

Can we substitute a longboard for the primo?

Jeff

Jeff

Making Trout Country safe for Slack Key!
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  06:00:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark,
quote:
Been a few years since I've been to Weiser, tho'.

I'll be in Weiser for the national fiddle contest while while you're on Molokai. It wasn't my first choice...
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  08:01:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Hey Dusty, didn't ya mean "Bob Wills music and Primo Beer?"

Eeeehaaaa! Take your pick.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Bill Neubauer
Aloha

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  10:28:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Neubauer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sign me up for that swing class! I can't wait to swing it with all you slack cats. "Keep Your Eyes On The Hands" always sounded like a Western Swing tune to me. Is "Waikiki" the one by Andy Cummings, "at night when the shadows are falling"? Cool tune. Also, I'd always thought of standard tuning as an Eminor11 chord. Whatever. See y'all next week!
Pila

Kika Pila
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  4:35:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey, I love playing swing on a steel tuned to G6th... can you guys play REAL LOUD, and aim your sound holes toward Maui? I will be listening for you. We have this fiddle player named Gordon who is really hot at swing...

Aloha,
-Konabob

Konabob's Walkingbass - http://www.konawalkingbass.com
Taropatch Steel - http://www.konaweb.com/konabob/
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=Konabob2+Walkingbass
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2005 :  08:11:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
can you guys play REAL LOUD, and aim your sound holes toward Maui? I will be listening for you. We have this fiddle player named Gordon who is really hot at swing...

Yeah, I know. I tried to get him to come to Moloka`i cuz I totally love swing fiddle. Play a couple choruses of "Faded Love" for me, OK? BTW Bob: You really ought to come to the Feb camp: Fred Lunt from Kauai will teach steel. He learned from "Feet" Rogers & he's my fav steel player.

Yep, Waikiki is the Andy Cummings tune. The changes in He Makana Aloha only hint at what's inside the tune. Check out Jim Beloff's harmonization in "Jumpin' Jim's Gone Hawaiian." (Flea Market Music).

cheers,

Mark

Edited by - Mark on 06/13/2005 08:15:12 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000