Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 Silly little questions for first time campers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2005 :  06:58:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha Mark,
Are the bathrooms stocked with plenty of shampoo, cream rinse etc etc? Are there 12 V outlets on the platforms to use for recharging camera and recorder batteries? Is there shade available for all classes? What natural sun screen were you referring to in protecting our guitars? Long sleeves? If not, is there a sunscreen you recommend? Is there a real mosquito problem? I'm assuming not, but always come prepared....

For others soing to camp: I live close to and spend a lot of time in the ocean. My preferred sunscreen is Banana Boat Kids waterproof. As you're in and out of the water, it will stay on a bit better, as you perspire, it sticks better than water-soluable, and it doesn't hurt the eyes As Much as others.

Mahalo!
n

nancy cook

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2005 :  11:53:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha Auntie!

I'll help Kailana out by answering a few.

Each hale (tentalow - 2 per platform) came equipped with shampoo, cream rinse, face/shower soap, washcloths, towels, etc. Ours were never replaced after the first day (which didn't matter, 'cuz we were mostly using our own). However, other campers said they got new stuff each day.

Our experience was: if you asked a staff member for something, it showed up pretty fast. Really excellent service.

I'll let Kailana wing the plug-in question. Lotsa info on the FAQ section of the camp website, too.

Pretty good shade for classes. Big tents set-up for each class. However, as the sun moved around, you sometimes had to move the chairs to stay in the shade.

I don't remember any mosquitos. That end of Molokai is pretty dry - not much standing water for them to breed. there was also a nice on-shore breeze, whivch would have blown any of the little suckers away if present.

When you pack, I would recommend taking about a third of your clothes out of the suitcase and replacing them with beverages and maybe pu-pus for the late night kanikapilas. Bring a good camera. And pack all your happy smiles, 'cuz you'll be using them frequently!

Puna

Puna
Go to Top of Page

annie
Aloha

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2005 :  2:08:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit annie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone,

I'm so looking forward to camp, I can hardly stand it!

I did want to mention that there is a grocery store in Maunaloa that is just about 3 blocks away from the Moloka'i Lodge. If you are not planning on renting a car, you can take the shuttle from the Beach Village to the Lodge, and walk to the store for supplies. It's a small store, mind you, but they do carry all the basics.

See you soon! Annie
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2005 :  5:03:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha Annie!!!
So good to hear from you.... There's a lot of energy around the 'patch getting excited about Camp!!
And Puna, thanks so much!! I look forward to meeting you! Yup, full of smiles, just bought Reefmaster Camera - digital underwater to 100 m.
Still need answer to 12V outlet question.....
I'm trying to cut down on luggage - tiny bottle of insect repellent, no shampoo (long hair, though), no towels, no drinks - gotta go to store - never seem to have enough clothes... but will plan on shipping off a bag to the laundry folks. Now I have to get a scale to weigh everything .......
Mahalo!!
n
[8d]

nancy cook

Edited by - Auntie Nancy on 05/13/2005 5:09:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2005 :  09:09:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you go to the FAQs page at www.AlohaMusicCamp.com you'll find this:

I was told I couldn't bring my hair dryer. What's the story on electrical power?

The Kaupoa Beach Village runs on 12-volt solar power, with auxiliary power supplied via gasoline generators. Please do not bring electric shavers, hair dryers and other electrical appliances. They won't work, unless you also bring a 12 volt DC to 110 AC inverter (the kind you'd use in a car). There are a very limited number of 110 AC outlets served by a generator in the Beach House that you may use for recharging cell phones, battery chargers, etc.

Please take the time to check out the FAQs - most likely your questions have been answered already.

Edited by - Mark on 05/14/2005 3:11:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2005 :  5:45:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK Mark. I read that!!! So I'm assuming we actually have those little thingey's that will take the converter so we can use the 12V DC power in our rooms..... to recharge batteries and it's not limited - no cause brown-out.
And we could use hairdryers etc (not me!!) if we wanted to. You said we have 110V AC in limited number.... I don't want to keep someone else from using them if I can use the 12V power instead.
What am I not getting?
I've read that FAQ thing a bunch of times.
By the way, if you make changes to the AMC website, could you point us to a section in this forum?
Mahalo!!!
n
PS: also allergic to coffee....

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

PuaLynn
Lokahi

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2005 :  8:56:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't count on getting any electricity in your tent-a-low. There are stationary 12v lights for night use in the tents and in the shared platform bath. I remember charging my little devices in the Beach House where we have meals and various meetings, where there are various outlets that are shared among campers. I saw no place inside my tent for doing any plug-ins. You gotta know this is a very casual place, warm and wonderful, where I can't imagine anyone want to use a hair dryer, etc. This is luxurious off-the grid living. If it's an appliance, it better run on a battery.

Me ke aloha,
Lynn
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2005 :  03:01:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mahalo!!!
I was just thinking that if I got the little adapter normally used for recharging in the car, that I wouldn't be competing for the few available outlets. No worry, I'm not the hairdryer type..... but I bought a new camera, and am buying a new recorder which do run on batteries. Most of the camping I've done is remote with no electricity. I'm trying to "be prepared" so I'm not a hazard to anyone.
Aloha!! I'll see you in 5 weeks!!!!!
Yippy!!!
auntie n

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  4:23:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ummm - a couple more questions:
Should we bring any books like Mele?? or tab paper? or other stuff we've been tryng to learn?? All that stuff weighs more....
mahalo.
auntie -

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  4:27:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Come with nothing but clothes for a week and an open mind. You'll still be overwhelmed and your bags will weigh less.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  4:50:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mahalo Dave - I think I will keep learning from you of many things for many years.

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000