Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 AMC Kids
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cotham
Aloha

17 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2005 :  2:26:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cotham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We are coming to the AMC camp for the first time and are really looking forward to it. I am bringing my 8 year old son. Anybody else bringing kids in that same general age group?
Ed

Texas Ed

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2005 :  11:20:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Ed

I am bringing my kids, but they are only 4 and 2. Probably won't be able to keep each other occupied very well.

See you there!

Jeff

Jeff

Making Trout Country safe for Slack Key!
Go to Top of Page

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2005 :  06:24:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha e, Ed

We are bringing Anthony, who just turned 10 in February. He's hoping that there are some other kids. He's 'into' 'ukulele, hula, learning slack-key, and generally trying everything.

He's also 'into' playing on the beach and letting the waves roll him around until all of his swimsuit pockets (and every other crevice) are tightly packed with sand.

Puna

Puna
Go to Top of Page

Cotham
Aloha

17 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2005 :  3:32:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cotham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sounds great, Puna. My son is just starting to play the uke. Sounds like they should get along well. I have not been to this place but I understand the beaches are really nice.

Texas Ed
Go to Top of Page

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  06:17:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't get to spend a lot of time on the beach - too busy sanding (I was part of the 'build your own 'ukulele class'). The beach is a little steep, with rocky areas on either side (both in and out of the water). The waves did not seem too big - after some initial trepidation (first time he'd seen the ocean), Ant had no problems. One comment is that there is pretty much no shade at the beach - so max out the sunscreen for both the keiki and na makua!

We did (and will) have a rule that the water is kapu without an approved adult - he still does not understand that ke kai deserves a great deal of respect, even when she is calm.

The only other rules that we had for Anthony were that he had to treat everyone with respect, and that he had to try everything at least once. After that, he was allowed to attend whatever class he wanted. The camp feels very safe for na keiki - we often did not see him except at meals and bedtime, and he had a great time.

We'll have to introduce the boys to each other as soon as possible - if they click, they can entertain each other and leave the adults to focus on the lessons (and the kanikapila and the bread runs and the other fun stuff!)

Puna

Puna
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  07:29:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
RE: Kids & da beach....

I'm glad you started this thread. Keiki are a big part of the camp, and we want to make the experience great for everyone.

We really can't have kids running around unsupervised - no matter how respectful. It is a simple matter of safety and concern. So we ask that all parents and/or guardians meet at breakfast during the first day of camp to form ad hoc kid squads. Please don't just assume that someone else will watch your kids while you are in class.

In other words, you folks with kids will need to divvy up the day to watch the keiki. Yes, we have a goodly supply of Aunties and Uncles who'll help. And we will have lots more kids activities than we did last year. So it needn't be a huge deal.

As a former 9 year old who lived at the beach, I can tell you just how much trouble two or three unsupervised young boys & girls can get themselves into. ("Honest, Mr. Barrett, we didn't mean to wreck your dock....")

And speaking of the beach. It is generally safe for swimming, the waves are fairly small, the currents mild. As with most Hawaiian beaches, there is no lifeguard -- so be careful. It's your basic: "We are all responsible adults" kind of deal. If you are unfamiliar with the ocean, a couple things to keep in mind:

Treat her with the utmost respect.

Never turn your back on the ocean. Even small waves can pack a punch. If the waves look too big, stay out of the water. You can always find a calm tidepool to cool off in.

Don't body surf the shorebreak. You'll be diving head first into a couple inches of water. You can ask one of our campers how it feels to break her collar bone two days before camp (Happened on Hawaii a couple of years ago...)

Please don't swim alone.

If you want to snorkle, head to where the fish hang out -- as in, near the rocks. There are ton's of 'em there. Snorkling over the sandy bottom will give you a great view of.... the sandy bottom.

Please do not let your kids go to the beach unsupervised. That's pretty basic.

And let me 2nd Puna's observation about sunscreen. Bring lots, and use it. Even 15 minutes of unprotected exposure can result in a serious sunburn for some of us "People of Pink." Sun hats & long sleeve shirts are a really good idea. (Yes, we'll have official camp hats for sale again this year.)

It's really pretty simple: the Aloha Camp is like the best summer camp you even dreamed off. Only this time, we get to make the rules.

See you all soon!

Mark

Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  12:32:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha Mark!
Are the hats lifeguard hats or baseball hats? It would be nice not to have to carry (and not lose along the way) life guard hat..
n

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  2:05:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really listen to Mark and Puna about ke kai and ka la.

Hawai'i is at the latitude of Cuba. The sun is *fierce*. After a couple weeks of acclimation on Maui and PF 45 sunblock, I thought I could hang out in the *shade* and read a book one afternoon. Burnt by reflection. Dumb.

Even when you are a *very* strong swimmer, there are rogue waves. Remember that Hawai'i is 2500 miles, or more, from any wave generator. Even when the waves are kinda predictable,it is tough. Mornings are calmest. Be in the water by 9AM and out by 12N is our rule. Afternoons, the Trades pick up and drive the water. Note where the winds are coming from at any time and learn to "read" the water. Shore breaks vary on every beach. Knowledge comes fast if you are attentive, so it is not a burden.

Know that, in the summer, the waves/Trades are from the NE. Know that, in the winter, the waves/Trades are from the NW. In between, read the winds and water.

Actually, if you can handle a 20 ft. surge, it is kinda fun, 'cause the fishies and honu surge back and forth with you. (Don't try this with kids or newbies)!

Safe in the water,

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2005 :  08:02:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Are the hats lifeguard hats or baseball hats?

Caps... like baseball, golf, etc.

quote:
Actually, if you can handle a 20 ft. surge, it is kinda fun

Don't let Uncle Reid scare ya.... we're talking little bitty waves in a protected SW facing cove here. Take a look at the pix on our webspages. Jaws it ain't.

Mark
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000