Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 Review of Beamer Camp on Molokai
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cotham
Aloha

17 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  09:45:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Cotham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is just a brief report on the Molokai Camp hosted by Keola Beamer and his friends and associates this past week. To get right to the point, on a 1 to 10 scale I'd have to give it an 11. This is my second year to attend and I continue to be real impressed with the way the camp operates. Mark Nelson and his wife Annie are the administrators and they do a great job. As we say in Texas about experienced cowboys, this "ain't their first rodeo" and they have got the logistics of running this camp down to a fine science. Keola and Mark do a great job of selecting instructors, many of whom are members of the Beamer ohana. If there is a nicer and more talented group of people anywhere, I certainly haven't met them. It starts with 83-year old Aunty Nona Beamer, who offers her wit and wisdom to the camp through song and story (and even dance). She is a real treasure and inspiration and it is such a pleasure to be around her. The children especially love interacting with her and my son will always cherish a photograph we took of him playing the ukulele while Aunty Nona sang. The slack key guitar instruction, of course is first rate, with the primary courses being taught by Keola Beamer and John Keawe. Both of these gentlemen are exceptional guitar players and equally good teachers. Keola's brother Kaliko teaches courses in ukulele and the Hawaiian language. He is one of the best teachers I have ever had in any subject and really adds to our appreciation of the Hawaiian culture. Mark teaches courses in beginning slack key and ukulele picking and is an excellent player himself. Keola's wife Monana and John's wife Hope also teach hula classes.There are also classes in crafts and ukulele-making, which were reported to be really good (although I did not have time to take them). About every other night there are wonderful concerts by the instructors. The food is good and the setting on Kaupoa beach is spectacular. So, to sum it all up, this camp was again a great experience for me and my whole family and I would encourage anybody thinking of attending a camp to give this one a try. We will certainly be back.

Texas Ed

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  10:40:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome back campers! Thanks for the report, Ed.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  11:50:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ed,

You are so correct and it was a pleasure seeing you again. Bev, Dave Moran and I are sitting at the Beach House as I write. Getting ready to catch the plane. I'll post more when I get back. Off to O`ahu

Dog
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  4:10:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did I hear correctly that Chris Yeaton was there as an instructor as well?

Gotta go next year
Gotta go next year

(new mantra)

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Cotham
Aloha

17 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  4:18:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cotham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Chris was there, although I am not sure that technically he was part of the staff. He did help out with Keola's intermediate class, however, and did perform some numbers on stage. He is a really talented guitarist and would be great to have as a teacher. I got both of his recordings shortly before camp and have really enjoyed them.

Texas Ed
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2006 :  11:09:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha e Taropatch `ohana,

Once again I was blessed to attend the Aloha Music Camp. As my wife, Bev, says, "We had an illegal amount of fun."

We are all so greatful that Aunty Nona was able to be with us. I was able to try out my hawaiian on her a few times and I can still hear her say "Maika`i dear. That's so sweet". Some of my fondest memories are watching her beaulifully hula from her wheelchair on stage and my performing in a puppet show she wrote for the Student Concert. Maika`i indeed. It was an honor to be asked to be in the play. (as a dog of course)

I figured my time had come to try some other things, so I took Hope Keawe's Hula class. I convinced Rich Cook and Keith Marzullo to join me. The Big Dogs did pretty good and I can still see Keith swingin' those hips. Whoa baby. All kidding aside, it's a wonderful way for us "string" players to understand an amazing side of this music.

John Keawe did a major amount of teaching. In his advanced class he taught two wonderful songs off his soon to be released album. I think Hawaiian Hope could be a Hoku or Grammy winner. He also wrote a student piece for his beginner/intermediate class. Keola taught his duet version of He Punahele to his intermediate class. I was extreme impressed with how well the classes played together at the Concert. A couple dropped notes here and there, but WOW!!!!!!

Bev and I shared our platform with Dan Hofstedt and Bruce Coe. I've known Dan for a few years playing baseball and Bruce is an old friend of Dan's. These boys can play guitar. Every night was a late one with the music circle. John Keawe, Kevin Brown, and Mark Nelson did their share of pickin' late into the night. I think we woke Keola up one night with a rousing version of Guitarzan. I thank Dan and Bruce for sharing our hale and their Aloha.

Breadrun!!!!!!!!

Although I didn't participate in anything other than guitar, hula and beach I do know that everyone had fun no matter what they did. I think this was the most nahenahe camp group ever. I heard nary a grumble. Bev and I definitely plan to go again.

Mahalo to my AMC freinds, old and new.

Dave

PS: Chris did not teach any classes, but he did get a good lickin'

Edited by - `Ilio Nui on 07/02/2006 12:38:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

T-Dan
Lokahi

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2006 :  11:37:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit T-Dan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha e ka kiho'alu hui (I hope my grammar holds up: "Greetings to the Slack-Key Gang?"...)

It was a magical week...I took the "extended stay" option and was so blessed to have been there a total of 9 nights. A truly awesome experience. Took Keola's intermediate class and John Keawe's intermediate and advanced class. I also took a few days of the language class as well as the two talks from Penny about Hawaiian values and the Hokuleia trip. So many wonderful moments and memories. No time to sleep in, as I wanted to enjoy every available moment. Most mornings I was up at dawn and would pick a shady spot near the beach to practice, play and/or compose before breakfast. The food was excellent and the dining company was always full of aloha. There are so many interesting people from all over the world. It's hard to describe it in any other way except to say it was full of the aloha spirit. The time before and after dinner was spent in a variety of incarnations of a song circle where people would take turns presenting songs, either originals or well-known tunes that the others could join in on and "take one." So many good players and singers! That common thread of love for the music and spirit of aloha was an awesome combination. Very inspiring on many levels. I hope I can return very soon...
A hui hou,
Aloha nui,
T. Dan
Go to Top of Page

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2006 :  5:00:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by `Ilio Nui

It was an honor to be asked to be in the play. (as a dog of course)

And a most dandy `Ilio maika`i no you were too---really licked the competition <EG>

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2006 :  10:27:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mahalo to everyone for making the '06 Aloha Music Camp so much fun. There were many wonmderful moments, but the best was watching Aunty Nona smile and giggle as she gained strength day by day. What a treasure!

Mahalo nui to Tommy, who defines the word "selfless." He'll be part of the staff next year, you betcha. Speaking of hard work, lets give a big hand to Jean and Susy for putting together the ho`ike, and to everyone who took part in the, um, pagent during the Beamer Family show. And thanks to all the staff at Kaupoa, too. Ono grinds!

I've got lots of pix up at the camp website: http://www.alohamusiccamp.com/. So check 'em out and see why we call him "Dog," or what not to wear to camp, or how to play heavy-metal slack key, or to see Aunty Nona's beautiful wheelchair hula...

Only please don't e-mail me for hi rez copies unless you can show me your press card, OK?

Oh, and registration is now open for both Feb and June camps. Staff details soon.

Me ke aloha,

Kailana & Lanamalie

Go to Top of Page

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2006 :  8:00:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice pix, thanks for sharing 'em. We've got mine & Susy's edited & on CD now, anybody wants a copy just holler. Also got some VERY rough MP3s of the songs Kaliko was teaching in beginning `uke and language classes for anybody who wants a li'l help remembering the tunes.

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page

Crackseedslackkey
Akahai

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  7:10:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Crackseedslackkey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey BIG DOG DAVE What's happening my old friend!??! Hope all is well with you and Bev. Already looking forward to next years aloha camp. Can't wait to see you then.

Chris
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000