Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 February Aloha Music Camp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2006 :  8:17:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Earl and Alice!
Julie
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  03:22:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Earl! I thought your voice sounded different *tee hee* just kidding. Hi Alice! We sure didn't need a car. Hardly a spare moment to catch a wink, let alone drive anywhere :-)

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

LopakaDavis
Aloha

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  07:34:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit LopakaDavis's Homepage  Send LopakaDavis a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Eh Mark.. much of the time you will see bidding remain low until the last couple of days.. most people browse for a few days to get an idea of what the want to bid on and then they wait.. sometimes its frustrating to bid early and keep getting outbid repeatedly so why not just wait til the end and go fot it then.. I actually had the link forwarded to our Uke class and our Kumu forwarded it to the entire halau so its definately getting exposure to its targeted audience. I also posted it on one of my Hawaiian Sol MySpace bulletins.. www.myspace.com/hawaiiansolohana.. its a nice page if you'd like to peek. Also, I'll be using your package in an auction promotional ad on Craigs List.. I'm working hard to bring the eyeballs to this package... I might be bidding as well.. depending on the outcome of the KTEH/KQED merger and figuring out how my gal would react.. lol.. we just bought a condo and with a Bay Area mortgage, Top Ramen will be our fine cuisine. Anyway.. Aloha and mahalo...
Go to Top of Page

LopakaDavis
Aloha

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  07:37:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit LopakaDavis's Homepage  Send LopakaDavis a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
sorry about the bad link.. www.myspace.com/hawaiiansolohana try that.. should work better.. I'll add Keola to the calendar when I get some extra time..
Go to Top of Page

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  11:44:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
E Mark, LopakaDavis

The link to the on-line auction shows the list price as $1900. Fine print on the side says 'valued at $3900'

Howzzit?

Puna
Go to Top of Page

LopakaDavis
Aloha

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  06:13:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit LopakaDavis's Homepage  Send LopakaDavis a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Wow.. you're right.. I'll have to look into that quickly.. big mahalo's for the heads up.. YOUCH! That's not good...

Lopaka
Go to Top of Page

LopakaDavis
Aloha

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  06:20:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit LopakaDavis's Homepage  Send LopakaDavis a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Eh Puna.. I just emailed the Auction Operations Dept. and let them know about the discrepency..
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2006 :  12:33:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha -

We've had a staff change at the February Aloha Camp - Ozzie is not able to make it. I know many of you are as disappointed as I -- but wait until you hear who's coming instead:

Sonny Lim! We are honored that he will be joining our `ohana to teach slack key guitar in the real old style. I spoke with him yesterday, and he said how excited he is to be coming to camp. He's excited? Well, so am I. He'll be teaching at both beginning and advanced levels. I can only add that I may break the "don't hog the classes" rule and take every one he offers!

In case you are unfamiliar with Sonny, here's a brief bio:

Sonny Lim, a member of Hawaii’s famous musical Lim family, was born and raised in the heart of paniolo (cowboy) country on the Big Island. Sonny’s parents taught their children to play a variety of musical instruments. Sonny's father was a paniolo at Parker Ranch, where Sonny also worked for 23 years. His introduction to ki ho’alu (slack key guitar) came as a child, when he was inspired by Gabby Pahinui while watching him perform at a lu’au in Kohala.

Sonny’s biggest inspiration and influence came at age 12 from a well known slack key guitarist and family friend, Uncle Fred Punahoa. Punahoa took a keen interest in Sonny’s playing, and spent several weeks living with the Lim family in Kohala in order to teach him. Sonny’s professional career started as a teenager when he commuted to Oahu to perform with the Makaha Sons of Ni’ihau. Over the past two decades Sonny has performed with virtually every ‘name’ musician in Hawaii.

Sonny is a multiple Hoku award winner, performs regularly with his family in Hawaii and Japan, and performed on Hawaii’s first GRAMMY CD, “Slack Key Guitar Volume 2” (Palm Records). Sonny helped to accept the inaugural Hawaiian GRAMMY Award in 2005. Sonny’s speech was in Hawaiian - the first time ever that the Hawaiian language was spoken on the GRAMMY stage. “Slack Key Guitar: The Artistry of Sonny Lim” is Sonny’s first solo CD.
We are honored that Sonny will be joining us at the February Aloha Music Camp. If you love nahenahe slack key in the real old style, you are in for a real treat!

Here's a link to the Palm Records site - check out the sound clips. http://www.palmrecords.com/cd_sonny_lim.html
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2006 :  12:39:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And here's some more great news:

Keola Beamer with be teaching a full week of beginner classes at the February camp!

If you are new to the guitar, or new to ki ho`alu, here's an amazing opportunity to get started on the right foot.. or hand, as the case may be.

Hope to see you at Kaupoa!

cheers,
Mark
Go to Top of Page

PuaLynn
Lokahi

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2006 :  09:06:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow -- can it be that both Sonny Lim and Keola are doing beginning slack key? I've admired Sonny for some time. He appears on the Big Island in different configurations. The Lim family did a wonderful concert up in Volcano several weeks after the Merrie Monarch Festival, including Sonny and the Lim halau winner of Miss Aloha, (Merrie Monarch soloist), who is also Lim family. Can Sonny dance as well???

Me ke aloha,
Lynn
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2006 :  12:21:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Can Sonny dance as well???

I'd be shocked if he couldn't. Be sure to ask him.

Now don't go thinking I can dance....
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  08:34:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha all -

I had an exciting conversation with kumu hula Kapono`ai Molitau yesterday. He said he'd recently done a workshop on Maui where students built puniu (coconut knee drums) and learn hula and chants that used the instruments. Since he has about 20 kits left over, he offerred to teach a similar class at next month's February Aloha Camp!

Yes, it's short notice -- but when a great idea comes along, you just have to go with it.

The class will have a $40 materials fee to cover his costs. We'll take sign-ups at Kaupoa, or you can e-mail me directly via TaroPatch.

Also, we've asked Sonny Lim to add a class or two on steel. So bring your axes and battery powered amps!

For you last minute wafflers -- we can still fit you in if you register right away! Airfares are pretty good right now, too. Contact me directly to register -- I'm shutting down website registration this weekend.

A hui hou!

Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2007 :  3:34:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greeting, all -

I've posted what I hope will be the final schedule for the February Camp on our website.

www.alohamusiccamp.com

Looking forward to seeing old friends and meeting new ones in just a few short days.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by - Mark on 01/27/2007 08:42:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2007 :  4:03:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suspect Mark meant to post the link as:
www.alohamusiccamp.com

Edited by - islandboo on 01/26/2007 4:04:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2007 :  08:44:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So he did.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000