Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 February Aloha Music Camp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2007 :  09:19:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi All,
I just returned form the Feb camp, I cannot recommend it highly enough, I loved every minute of it and plan to make it an annual event in my life

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2007 :  2:18:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, now we need details from *all* you campers. LONG reports. It is a requirement. Who did what with whom and how?

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2007 :  5:39:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Um... Reid!
Go to Top of Page

Pulelehua
Akahai

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2007 :  8:40:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Reid! Inquiring minds want to know!

Pulelehua
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2007 :  12:38:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just got back, after a few extra days on Maui putting the camp to bed. For this not-entirely-unbiased camper, February 2007 was the best one yet.

We had a great mix of old and new friends attending - and teaching at - camp. I loved the way Robyn and Moana took each other's hula classes. Kapono`ai taught his classes to build pu niu (small coconut knee drums) and led chants at sunset and sunrise. Awesome!

Sonny Lim had us all amazed that anyone can play the guitar that well and be so humble. I'd asked him to do one extra hour of steel guitar; instead he taught it every day. Kevin once again charmed everyone with his gentle grace. I also loved watching the faces on Keola's beginning guitar students when they started to "get it."

Mahalo nui loa to our guests, our kumu, and the staff (and whales) at Kaupoa for a great week. And a double big mahalo to Puna & Keonaona -- aka Annie 1 and Annie 2, who jumped in to help out at the very last minute.

I've posted pictures of the February Camp on our website so you can see for yourself. Follow the "Photo Gallery Link."

www.alohamusiccamp.com

Me ke aloha pumehana
Mark Kailana Nelson
Aloha Music Camp

Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2007 :  03:28:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My God! Mark, that picture of Anakala Pilipo is a Hawaiian *classic*! The man is a treasure and as chiefly as Kopono`ai. That is so much more than a family snapshot, as much as it was nice to see the faces of old friends in the other pix, this picture encapsulates so much about the culture and the man. I can't get over it.

...Reid

Edited by - Reid on 02/19/2007 03:30:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

Pulelehua
Akahai

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  11:01:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mahalo, Mark, for the pics!

Island Boo, I love seeing the bliss on your face! Long live Hale #4!

Pulelehua
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Lokahi

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  05:24:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just got back to England after the camp. No, it didn't take a week and a half to travel back (although it is a long way!) - we stopped to visit some friends in Fort Lauderdale, which we figured was 'on the way'.

I had a superb week - I knew virtually nothing about either Hawaiian music or culture, and to gain a glimmer of insight into what it is all about was truly a privelege.

Highlights? Well what wasn't a highlight? In particular for me personally I have to single out a few. The graciousness, encuragement, wisdom and (occasionally mischeviously) humour of Winona Beamer was an inspiration. Meeting all the other campers who were so friendly and welcoming. Going for a stroll at midnight when the full moon turned the palm trees, the sand and the sea into irridescent silver is something I'll always remember. The fact that my Alison actually performed on stage at the student concert (for the first time since she was about 12!) gave me a great feeling. Listening to Keola, who seemed to radiate a great serenity and clearly has a great dedication and love for the music. And remembering when I joined in with Sonny Lim, Kevin Brown and Mark Nelson in an informal jam at the beach house one night makes me grin like an idiot when I think about it.

Many thanks to Mark and everyone involved with organising the camp. It was a truly wonderful experience. I really really want to go back again.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  07:41:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome Trev and thanks for the note. Playing guitar with Kevin and Mark and Sonny is like playing in a string quartet with Paganini, Heifetz and Ma. Hang around and post some more. And Mark and Kevin post here, too. As well, as other notables like Dennis Kamakahi and Peter Medeiros who both recently posted in other threads. This is THE PLACE.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Davey
Akahai

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  08:35:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Davey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That midnight walk under the full moon didn't sound bad, either.
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Lokahi

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  04:24:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reid - Thanks for the welcome. Yes, playing with Kevin Mark and Sonny was pretty special! I've been looking around Taropatch recently and it seems very friendly and pleasant - I find some things difficult to understand, but then I am very new to this stuff.

Davey - it was amazing. We'd been travelling for two days, and finally got to the camp just as the concert finished. Immediately (it seemed) everyone else went to bed, so my Alison and I (unable to sleep) went for a walk. We had the beach to ourselves and it was unbelievably beautiful. I said to Alison "If we had to turn round and go back home now it will still have been worth the trip just to look at this"
Go to Top of Page

Davey
Akahai

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  07:03:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Davey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Trev:
Your description was so compelling that I had to do a Web search, just to see if there's a full moon when my Tami and I will be at the camp in June. There is, as a matter of fact!
Looks like Friday night, the last evening at camp, will be a full one.
I wonder ... does Mark schedule camps around the full moon (or is it the other way 'round)?
Tami and I were on your very cool isle last summer, staying with my niece in Wivenhoe and then traipsing around London for a few days. We definitely plan to get back.
Cheers, Aloha, Peace,
Davey
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  07:11:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, a moonlit beach walk in Hawai`i is quite special. You know the song "Lani Kai", right? Ledward does a great version of it. Lani Kai is a fantastic beach on Windward O`ahu and the song is about what happens on that beach in the moonlight, and one verse describes a walk in the moonlight. So, we got to stay on Lani Kai once, and there was a full moon, and Sarah and I did everything the song says on Lani Kai in the moonlight. And Sarah sang the song in Hawaiian, then, too.
Not forgettable.

...Reid

Edited by - Reid on 02/22/2007 07:12:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  08:09:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Playing guitar with Kevin and Mark and Sonny is like playing in a string quartet with Paganini, Heifetz and Ma.

In my case, surely you mean Ma Kettle?

Watching Kevin & Sonny's face when Trevor lit into the mandolin was priceless. The boy can play! Naturally, Kevin even knew a Hawaiian bluegrass song to throw at us.

cheers,

Mark
Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  08:27:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I believe there was a full moon during the June 2005 camp too. Was it on summer solstice as well??? Magical place and times!

Jeff

Jeff

Making Trout Country safe for Slack Key!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000