Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 February Aloha Music Camp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2007 :  11:29:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK, more details. Started by meeting Debbie in Kahalui for a kanikapila she set up with Kevin, Duke, Geri, Larry, Bob (on tricked out autoharp) and others Saturday afternoon.
Then a great evening walking around Lahaina, up early fo rthe ferry ride to Moloka'i. Calm day, no wind, very gentle swell. I figured i saw a hundred whales!
A nice ride to the main lodge, meeting more campers on the way. Early passage to camp to help Mark set things up gave me a few hours headstart in snooping around. Walked to Dixie beach, a nice secluded calm beach abut a mile away. Starrted on my tan. Met the staff at the beach house, and settled in.
Opening ceremionies were great. Days to follow began with a 2 mile walk up the road or on the trails, then were full of classes, talk story, walks on the beach, a couple dips in the ocean each day. Met ots of nice folks, played some music. I guess i fi was disappointed in anything it was that after the planned activities of the evening, mpst folks just went to bed...at 9:30. I only found a few folks on a few nights willing to stay up and play more music. Maybe i am more starved for musical company because of where i live, but i sure would have liked to play more an night.
Took the ferry back, too, and just to sustantiate my claim, i counted the whales. 118!
Beautiful trip, wonderful people. i shall return

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

suelou
Aloha

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  04:29:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This was my first time at camp, and we have already decided to be there next Feb! It was wonderful! I took hula from Moana (she is a WONDEFUL person) and oli from Kapono. I learned a lot more than chant and building the pu niu (although it was great!) from Kapono. He is an inspiration to anyone who gets to know him. Loved the classes, loved the food, loved the kumus, loved the music/concerts, loved the people we met. I can't wait until I go back! Got a little more taste of it when we went to see Sonny in concert last Wednesday night at Wolftrap. He is a great musician! I just feel so privileged to have been able to go and participate and meet all the wonderful people. Looking forward to seeing some of you all again!
Susan
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  05:27:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, those evening and night jams have gone on into the wee hours in the past. Kevin *never* quits playing. In the many years we known him, he has played for 10 or 12 hours, sometimes. Once we only stopped because it was so dark we couldn't see anything. But, they (the jams at camp) always have been self generating. That is, somebody started playing something really neat and others just naturally joined in. Last Feb., one night, there were two jams, in two different styles, going on in the same place - kind of a "battle of the jams" - great fun It is kind of accidental, and maybe, this time, campers were just really tired after a very full day, or something. Go back another time, and the whole experience will be different - guaranteed. Mark and Keola make a great effort to make things unique and different.

...Reid

Edited by - Reid on 02/24/2007 05:28:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

slackva
Aloha

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  09:02:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still can't finds the words to describe the fantastic experience we had at camp. The spirit of aloha amongst everyone there was beyond compare. All the classes and kumu were great. Laura and I were in classes with Keola, Kaliko, Kevin, Sonny, Robyn, and Anakala. Thank you, Kaliko for getting Laura off to a good start with the Uke. She jumped into the Hula Band with us and had a great time. We're going to work on some songs together now and see where we get. After camp we had a wonderful mule ride to Kalaupapa, saw Debbie and Mark at the Ledward/George show at the Ritz, got to kanikapila with Kevin, Debbie, Kevin's brother?, and others the day we had to fly out of Maui. VA feels like another PLANET after that trip, but we did get to see Sonny play on Thursday at WolfTrap, so the planets got together for a few minutes. Sonny said he was told he played too long on Wed, so we did not get to hear his Punahele, or Over the Rainbow...at least we go to see him. How can Sonny "play too long"? No such thing. Anywhoo, It was our first camp, and we shall return as well. Mahalo to all who made it happen!
Aloha,
Scott and Laura Ruff

SlackVA
Go to Top of Page

PuaLynn
Lokahi

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  8:40:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been meaning to post about February camp, but on returning to the mainland, have been oh so busy. Camp was awesome. For me, the highlight was seeing NT Nona. She was radiant and definitely the belle of the ball throughout the week, calling out her approval to various performers at ho'ike. What a treat. The camp was very mellow .. lots of friendly fun people, quite gentle without lots of ego action. I loved it. And Mark, thanks for all you do to make it work so well.

After camp, Angela and I went to Honolulu for several days to catch various shows at Chai's, including a fun night shared there with Carolyn and Jane. Sean Naauao and Sister Robie were playing. Angela and Sister Robie talked German for a while and Angela got up and danced Kawaikapu Hewett's "Ka Pilina" .. her first hula solo in a Hawaiian night club.

Me ke aloha,
Lynn
Go to Top of Page

Elaine
Akahai

USA
98 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  8:29:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Elaine's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok. I'll weigh in. Went to my first camp in February with my 11-year-old son, Taylor, who had the time of his life. Yes, I took him out of school, but you can't let school get in the way of a good education. His first slack key guitar lesson was from Keoloa Beamer! And his second one was from Kevin Brown! In between slack key guitar lessons (and watching the humpbacks leaping out in the bay) Taylor built his own 'ukulele with Dennis Lake. (Sorry Dennis, we still haven't been able to pry it out of his hands long enough to apply the finish coats but it is getting a rather grubby patina.) He slept with it in his bed the first week after we got home. Last week at his school's talent show, he performed "YMCA" on the 'ukulele and had the whole house rocking and singing along.

For me it was a week in Paradise. It was a full two days after I got home that I could stand to turn on my computer and read my email. And what a pleasure it was to share the week with Auntie Nona and her family and extended family. We will be back in June and hope to have figured out Moloka'i Slide by then. Thank-you EVERYONE for making the week the week it was. Elaine (aka Taylor's Mom)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000