Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 2008 Winter Aloha Camp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  1:25:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha kakou -

Online registration is now active for our Winter Aloha Camp, February 3-9 at Kaupoa Beach Village on the magical island of Moloka`i.

I just got back from a quick planning trip with Keola, Moana and Aunty Nona. It's going to be a great camp! I'll post the staff as soon as we have confirmation.

And, for those of you really looking ahead, the summer Aloha Camp dates are June 22 - 28, 2008.

www.alohamusiccamp.com

Edited by - Mark on 05/24/2007 07:36:08 AM

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  7:30:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark

the summer Aloha Camp dates are June 23 - 28, 2008.

Maybe June 22-28? Unless you've evilly lopped off a day

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  07:37:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No lopping, just sleepy and careless.

Go to Top of Page

noel-lele
Aloha

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2007 :  10:07:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit noel-lele's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How do most of you get your guitars to the camp? I'll be bringing a uke and a guitar and the airline restrictions are crazy about that.
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2007 :  1:32:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
How do most of you get your guitars to the camp

This subject has been covered pretty extensively here. I'd suggest searching the archives.

Don't forget we've got tips for packing yer guitar on the Aloha Camp FAQs page, too.

As for`ukulele: mostly they fit in the overhead; though Annie ususally puts hers in a hard case, packs that in the middle of her big suitcase, and checks it through.

A hui hou!

Mark
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2007 :  11:26:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Announcing our staff and classes for the February Aloha Camp:

The Aloha Music Camp's
Winter Kohola Camp
February 3 - 9, 2008
Kaupoa Beach Village, on the magical Island of Moloka`i

The Beamer Family and Friends
Keola Beamer • Slack Key Guitar
Moanalani Beamer • Hula
Nona Beamer • Stories and Songs of Old Hawai`i
Kaliko Beamer-Trapp • Beginning `Ukulele/Hawaiian Language and Culture
with
Owana Salazar • Slack key and Steel Guitar
Sonny Lim • Slack Key Guitar
Maile Beamer Loo • Hula
Sam `Ohokani`ohi`a Gon • Oli & Hawaiian Culture
Anakala Pilipo • Hawaiian culture
Na Kupuna o Moloka`i
Mark Kailana Nelson • Slack Key Guitar & `Ukulele
Dennis Lake • `Ukulele Construction
and more to come!
Our staff includes the finest instructors in Hawai`i.

Proposed Classes & Workshops

Ceremonies & Mo'olelo
Nona Beamer
Ki Ho'alu
Keola Beamer
Mark Kailana Nelson
Sonny Lim
Owana Salazar
Hawaiian Steel Guitar
Owana Salazar
Hula
Moanalani Beamer
Maile Beamer-Loo & Nona Beamer
'Ukulele
Beginning - Kaliko Trapp
Advanced - Mark Kailana Nelson
Oli
Sam Gon
Olelo Hawai'i
Kaliko Beamer Trapp
Lei Making
Moanalani Beamer
Hawaiian Protocol & Crafts
Anakala Pilipo
Stories & Culture
Nona Beamer
‘Ukulele Building
Dennis Lake
Hawaiian Cooking Techniques
Moloka'i Ohana Lectures

Reservations are open online for both February and June.

Hope to see you at Kaupoa this February!

Edited by - Mark on 08/22/2007 1:58:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2007 :  1:56:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha All -

I am very please to announce that Dr. Sam Gon will be joining us at the February Aloha Camp on Moloka`i to teach Oli and Hawaiian Culture.

Here's a bit from his bio:

quote:
For over ten years Sam has been studying oli (traditional Hawaiian chant) and hula with Kumu John Keolamaka‘?inana Lake, a master of Hawaiian religion and cultural protocols; training that culminated in his ‘uniki (traditional rite of passage) in February 2003 as a kahuna k?kalaleo, practitioner of Hawaiian chant and protocol. Sam strives to blend the richness of unique Hawaiian ecosystems with the equally rich culture that developed here.

Sam is a Senior Scientist and Cultral Advisor to the Nature Conservancy of Hawai`i. http://www.hawaiiecoregionplan.info/samgon.html. As a long time supporter of the Nature Conservancy, I am thrilled to be able to meet him and talk story about his important conservation work in Hawai`i.

Looking forward to see old friends and making new ones in just a few short months!

Cheers,

Mark

Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2007 :  2:30:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ho Mark! I knew Sam from a long time ago when he was posting in the pre-internet. He is one major biologist. Swell guy. He also knows lots about Hawaiian martial arts. Great find! Say hello from the old guy.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2007 :  05:44:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yippie I just got my letter in the mail it is now official I am GOING to Feb Aloha Camp. Now I have the Makaha Sons concert in Sept. But how will I get through the rest of the winter my head is allready in Hawaii and I need to work
Just color me HAPPY!
Guess I really need to practice now!

"A hui hou kakou, malama pono".
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  07:34:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK call me crazy anxious or just plain overexcited. But I have started planning my trip to the Feb. Camp and was wondering if anybosy else will be going over to Molokai from Kona. The flights I have found are crazy sched wise. The Camp info. reccomended the small airlines and some do not seem to exist online or do not fly KOA to MKK ? Anyone with experience with this please help or offer advice. I will be in Waikoloa for awhile before and after Camp. Thnaks in advance for any help and guidance. I know I still have 5 months but ....... well can you tell I am excited:-D

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2007 :  10:38:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha all -

I am pleased to announce that Chef Elmer Guzman will be teaching a very special cooking class at the Winter Aloha Music Camp.

Chef Elmer, who has worked for both Emeril Lagasse and Sam Choy, now is the genius behind The Poke Stop, voted "Best of the Best" by the Honolulu Advertiser. He'll be talking story and leading classes in preparing Hawaiian reef fish at Kaupoa Beach Village.

Mahalos to Tom Kraft or Norpac Seafood for helping out. We still have a lot of details to work out, but I thought some of you might want to start dreaming of that ono poke.

Here's a website to get your digestive juices flowing: http://www.elmerguzman.com/

cheers,

Mark
Go to Top of Page

PuaLynn
Lokahi

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2007 :  08:35:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I noticed on the website there was no mention of song session in the class list. That's one of my favorite camp activities .. will there be some Hawaiian style sessions? Sonny Lim? I'm also really pleased that Dr Sam Gon will be there. Care and preservation of the aina Hawaii is right up there with preservation of the culture, and probably at more risk right now. Kupuna like NT Nona have shared the culture with so many who will continue to honor it. But, the land has not been as fortunate and needs all or our attention.

Me ke aloha,
Lynn
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2007 :  09:29:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Lynn, thanks for bringing this up!

Just like Aunty Nona's Talk Story, the song sessions are a regular feature of the Aloha Camp.

For those who don't know -- Aunty Nona's Talk Story is a time to hang with Aunty and listen to what she has to say -- on whatever she feels inspired to speak about. Always one of the highlights of the Aloha Camp.

We also have Talk Story time with kapuna from Moloka`i -- past sessions have included learning about herbs and healing, paniolo days, life in Halawa valley, sailing on the Hokule`a and poi pounding (that one was delicious!)

In addition, we schedule talk story time with our instructors on topics ranging from the role of family in Hawaiian arts; to Hawaiian learning; thoughts about performing and stagecraft; Hawaiian values; and the protocol, relationships and responsibilities of a kumu and students to each other and to the culture.

This last one was so important we expanded it to a whole week last June -- led by Liko and Moana. Awesome - I learned so much! We will certainly offer it again -- some folks evensuggested it should be required.

The song sessions are daily guided classes focusing on learning to sing and play in a group -- more than a kani kapila (we have those, too) but less than a formal class. We usuallly spread them around so different instructors lead song sessions on different days. They are great ways to hone your singing and instrumental chops while learning new songs.

Kani Kapila (jam sessions) happen informally all over the place (like at the Beach House, Hula Tent, and various hale around camp), and formally down at the campfire with our instructors serving as leaders and facilitators.

As before, we'll post the schedule online when we get closer to camp- but you can download one from the last camp to get an indea.

Cheers,

Mark
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  3:37:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh No how much better will this all get. I can hardly work now I am SO excited about going. Now cooking class as well. How do you all possibly fit it all in or decide on what to take. Decisions ar not my strong suit I want it ALL. only 142 days till I leave for Hawaii but whose counting ...... ME!

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  8:37:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha Nancy,

You are in for such a treat. I can just feel your excitement, I've been there before. One word of caution, if you try to do everything, your brain will explode. Be sure to take time to drink in the special feeling of it all, all the aloha and all the presence of the truly special people you'll meet.

Sigh, I'm jealous....

Julie
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  09:02:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha Julie,
I am in such a state I have been trying to negtiate with the powers that be to just for one week in Feb make the days 36 hours long but I seem to be getting NOWHERE so I guess I will have to take your advise. Maybe I will just start a return fund so that this will not be a once in a life time trip that way I will not feel I HAVE to fill each day to the brim. At least I will have a few weeks of down time after Camp before I return to my real life.

Nancy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000