Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 2008 Winter Aloha Camp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  09:48:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Duct tape can keep your head from exploding.

Just don't drink diet coke and eat mentos.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  10:29:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wanda you have provided my with a good laugh on a disaster of a day at work thanks but now I am like that bad kid I wonder what DOES happen if you eat mentos and drink Diet coke. Ahh well need do one more claim before quiting time.

"A hui hou kakou, malama pono".
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  10:31:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage  Reply with Quote
By the way we got a room and will bring Ukuleles for you to try I will send email later with details.

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

GUke
Lokahi

188 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  09:15:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
e "Nani"
Your excitement reminds me of how I felt when I went to AMC in 2006. I had a great time and camp was a catalyst to what I'm doing now with my ukulele and mele. When I went we were fortunate to have good weather. But it is winter, so don't forget that one pair of long pants and light jacket. On the eve of one of the special lectures, the wind chill forced the attending Alaskans to dress warmly. And because it's winter, the weather isn't as oppresive heatwise as it may be during summer -- of course anytime the trades are blowing the natural fan hides how warm it really is.
The instructors at the camp I attended were great and down to earth. And the other campers from all over the US and other countries provided a great mix. Hope your fellow campers contribute to the overall experience.
So here's my words of caution although from your last post maybe your withdrawal won't be as bad. The camp was a catalyst to where I am today. I find myself with a number of ukuleles -- can play a different one for each day of the week, and I'm waiting for two more to be built. (Before camp I had only one, but know that there are those out there who could claim they can play a different one for each day of the month.) I also bought amps, with mic/instrument chords, music/mic stands, tuners. I'm playing over 50+ mele (need the charts for lyrics and chords) and learning more. I regularly attend the monthly local (SF Bay Area) kanikapilas, open mic and get togethers. I now and then get to jam with my brother's ensembles -- love the limelight. I've met a lot of great musicians mostly local. And on occasions get to perform with them usually at kanis. I've just about let my golfing passion burn out.
Would I do it all over again? You betcha I would!! Still got lots to learn and do, and hopefully including a future return to camp.
So enjoy camp, and maybe -- if not alreadly -- you'll find yourself down the road playing more music and sharing with others its joy.

G'uke

Genaro

Should I? Itʻs only $, and where Iʻm going itʻll burn or melt.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  10:13:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Watch Myth Busters. They did an experiment to see if a stomach could explode if someone drank diet coke and ate mentos. Used a pig stomach. For once, "Buster" didn't get blown up. They re-run the stuff often enough that it is bound to be on again shortly (or you could look at their web site).

If you've never done it, get a 2 liter diet coke (only works with diet coke) and a tube of mentos. Take all the mentos out of the wrapper and make somoe kind of low-friction tube out of a piece of acetate or view graph or something like that. Put all your mentos in the tube (like putting coins in a coin wrapper). Open the lid of the diet coke, let all the mentos drop in all at once, and MOVE BACK. Ho boy, does it ever spew. You can watch you tube and see lots of spewing. Way cool.

Just don't put a piece of dry ice in a 2 liter bottle with the lid on.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 09/13/2007 10:15:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  12:42:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So if I want to start saving my pennies for a camp next year (ha - maybe I'll learn `ukulele), what are any approximate time frames for various camps that anyone knows about? Like later than this winter camp on account if I go to a camp, then Paul would have to go, too and besides doubling the pleasure, it doubles your fun(ds). And does anyone know if there is anything like these camps on the mainland or only one or two day sessions like with Patrick Landeza and George Kuo or whoever? I would like to just sit and listen to Nona Beamer, oh I bet the stories she could tell and the lessons she could share and teach. And I could cook, too, yeah?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  1:10:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
what are any approximate time frames for various camps that anyone knows about?

Winter Aloha Camp is always around the first week in February.

June has two camps -- third week: George Kahumoku's on Maui
fourth week: Aloha Music Camp on Moloka`i. Some folks go to both.

August -- Milton Lau & Led Kaapana's workshops in Waikiki.

Late November/ early December: Keoki's Big Island camp. Also, maybe Cyril's camp.

Aside from individual instructors at various guitar weeks, there isn't a full week devoted to Hawaiian music and culture on the Mainland (or, as it is now called, the Continent) that I'm aware of.

With one possible exception: Lark Camp in August, has slack key, `ukulele and hula added into the world music mix. But even then it is not anything like getting into the culture at the source.

And no more highjacking threads, OK? Otherwise, someone may set of a mento bomb next to your new `ukulele.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  1:49:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry about the highjacking. E kala mai.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  5:54:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh Wanda I sure wish You and Paul were coming to the Feb. Camp that would be a blast. But I hear the Dec. Camp on The Big Island is terrific you can check it out on the Konaweb site and there is the Ukulele conference at Waimea in early November every year. Wanna go next year? I'm ready. Now if I can just figure out how to convince Prentiss.

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  05:50:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Oh Wanda I sure wish You and Paul were coming to the Feb. Camp that would be a blast.

I second that emotion.

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  07:18:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I neva like get stink eye.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  07:49:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
I neva like get stink eye.

?????? Where's that coming from?

Wanda, what I said was "I agree" with Nani. The quote is from a Smokey Robinson song. (Dang good song, too.)

So, to make it perfectly clear -- I also think it would be a blast if the two of you came in Feb. I'd like to meet you two, and I'd like the chance to play some old time music, too.

Gonna be a good fiddler there as well.

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  10:07:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you feel like lovin' me; if you've got the notion; I second that emotion.

I said stink eye because as some of you may have deduced from postings on this forum, I ask lots of questions. I would be so excited to have such kumu around me that I don't know how I could control myself with trying to pick their brains (you included, Pal), I would be so afraid to ask too much that would frustrate the kumu or frustrate fellow students or have someone think I was trying to hijack the lessons. I know that since I am aware of this trait, that you would think I ought to be able to use some self discipline and I always have intentions of doing so, but then I get excited and forget all of the best intentions. I just would be so in awe of Aunty Nona...she is like royalty to me. You'd think a 55 year old woman like me would be able to act like a grown up, but, well...that is one of my failings, I'm afraid.

I know Paul would love it, and he would love to jam some old time music with you -- dulcimer, banjo, guitar. It is kind of like a chance to attend the Indians' fantasy camp before spring training in Winterhaven, FL. A dream come true, but the dream is only available if you have $$$$ to make it come true. I think I priced out once how much it would realistically cost us to attend the camp and I think I figured we would have to budget about $6200 for the two of us (staying extra days) and staying in a real room, not the tentalows. That's estimating air fare and all other sundry add ons like taxes and such. Plus gotta have $$$ for spend to buy stuff like rare white Hawaiian honey or whatever else swell stuff we would come upon.

Our two weeks O`ahu were about half that for the both of us. Of course, no swell lessons and I surely want to make sure the kumu are appropriately remunerated. So...all that being said. We do want to come to the camp(s). We just gotta save for more time longer to be able to do it. Plus I will soon be on a fixed annuity income. (Yippee -- pau hana time).

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Ben
Lokahi

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  12:42:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha e hoa mea ki ho'alu

Since I don't actually know much about Hawaiian vocabulary and grammar, there's a really good chance that there is something quite wrong with that, so once more in English:

"Greetings, my fellow slackers!"

I'm Ben, and I am yet another newbie to AMC and I can hardly wait!

I just thought that I'd briefly introduce myself, and I look forward to meeting lots of new friends.

My wife and I had the good fortune to live on O'ahu for three years, and we fell deeply under the spell of Hawaiian music. Some friends think we have a ridiculously extensive collection. They may be right, too. As a guitarist, I became particularly fascinated with slack key. A performer on a dinner cruise pointed me to Daniel Ho's book, and then I found Ozzie Kotani's, and then I found Keola Beamer's, and then I found Beamer/Nelson's, and then there were the on-line lessons, videos, more books, and the collection of teaching materials just continued.

I'm looking for therapy.

I expect to find in on Moloka'i in February, too!

A quick question for you, Mark:

When do you expect to have 2008 merchandise available from the camp store?

A hui hou!

Mālama pono
Ben
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  1:40:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is a twofer reply:

quote:
staying in a real room, not the tentalows.

I'd strongly suggest you consider the tentalows. It ain't camping, by any streatch of the imagination -- unless you call it camping when you sleep in a nice comfy queen bed and get hot showers (OK, solar hot showers, so maybe not till the sun's been up a while) and flush toilets. The Lodge is great, and some folks prefer it, but it is a long daily commute.

quote:
When do you expect to have 2008 merchandise available from the camp store?

What a great question! I need to rattle the cage of a certain artist I know who offered to come up with the artwork. So, let's just say as soon as possible, but certainly withing a month.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000