Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 2008 Winter Aloha Camp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  3:31:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How I gonna iron my clothes? I would be mortified to be in public without ironing my clothes...no matter t-shirts, sweaters, shorts, capris, whatever. And I make Paul iron his shirts and pants, too. I need and am addicted to, electrizical. I SUPPOSE I could use some of that spray stuff that is supposed to remove wrinkles, if yunz wouldn't laugh at me if I have less than crisp clothes. Ooh, I don't know. I'm starting to get panicky and sweaty just thinking about it. One cruise we went (NCL) did not have laundry room and they permit no irons. I had to give all my stuff to the steward to get ironed and paid dearly for it. The next NCL cruise we took, I took a travel iron anyhow and ironed in the room on the dresser as best I could. The ironing police could have hauled me away.

Do both the winter and summer sessions pull in about the same number of students? Do the same folks come back to both or do yunz go just maybe once a year (or do you go less frequently)? Or is this a once in a life-time thing?

When we went to the Augusta Heritage guitar week, I didn't have much to do at all while Paul was in class; however this and George's camp also, sounds like there are plenty of things to keep a non-musician busy.

When yunz go to George's camp and you gotta do work like pulling weeds or whatever, what if you are not physically able to do so? Is there something else a decrepit old lady could do that does not involve physical labor (cooking, cleaning, laundry, administrative stuff)?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 09/14/2007 3:33:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2007 :  04:10:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ben do you really live in New Freedom PA I was born in York and My parents best friends lived in New Freedom SMALL WORLD it will be Great to meet you at Camp

"A hui hou kakou, malama pono".
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

Claudia
Lokahi

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2007 :  04:14:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Wanda, usually I lurk, but this post of yours is bringing me out! I need to put in my two cents about the ironing, the tentalows, and what AMC is like for the non musician spouse.

First, the ironing. I arrived at the June AMC at 8am Monday after a nearly 24 hour odyssey of getting from New York City to Kaupoa Beach on Molokai. I was in several cars, two airplanes, three airports, a dingy hotel for 4 hours, then one more airplane. Delta Airlines lost my luggage, but thankfully NOT my guitar. So I arrived in barely enough time for my first slack key class with John Keawe at 9am with a guitar and the clothes that had been on my back for over 24 hours. I took all my classes that day in the most wrinkly, sweaty state - and you know what? NO ONE CARED. People dress very casually at AMC, alot of the guys spend the week in swim trunks and a T shirt! People at camp - staff and campers alike are so incredibly friendly - no one will care about your less than crisp attire, because they will be so busy enjoying YOU and your incredible enthusiasm and love all for things Hawaiian.

Second, the tentalows. I slept like a baby on those really comfy queen beds. And nothing beats seeing the moon thru your tentalow window at night, and hearing the Hawaiian birds in the morning. And at night, a couple of tentalows host open jam sessions with fellow campers, staff, the spouses -it is one of the best parts of the AMC experience - so much splendid music and so much aloha. And its so dark, no one will see the wrinkly clothes.....

Lastly, let me reconfirm your thought that there is plenty to do for the non-musician spouse. I have been to mainland camps and I have been to AMC and there is no comparison. You will be flabbergasted at all that you can do while your hubby is enjoying his classes. You can take Hawaiian language with Kaliko, who is the most gifted language teacher I have ever met (and I have studied many languages). You can take beginner ukulele. You can watch the hula classes. You can jump into the ocean for a dip any time - the beach is RIGHT THERE. You can practise the ukulele while watching the most spectacular sunsets on the beach. You can do Hawaiian arts and crafts outside in the gardens. You can have long leisurely chats with fellow campers and the instructors. You will be enjoying Aunty Nona's talks.

Even if you can only go to Camp once, the rewards and memories are immeasurable. The aloha you experience from the Beamer family, Mark and Annie and the entire staff make this like no other vacation you have ever encountered. I so hope to see you there very soon!

Claudia
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2007 :  6:46:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AAAND!!

You will fall in love with most of the people there. And some of them are wrinkled all the time!

Julie

Trust me...
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2007 :  01:03:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I guess I better starting putting my pennies in the ol' pua`a to fatten him up.

Thanks, all you fine folks for helping me to understand what is available and what is like.

We'll go one of these days.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  06:24:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Claudia

Lastly, let me reconfirm your thought that there is plenty to do for the non-musician spouse.

You'll also be surprised...after a few VERY low-key NON-threatening TOTALLY enjoyable 'uke lessons with Kaliko and Aunty Nona, you may discover that you no longer consider yourself a "non-musician" spouse. People go in convinced they have no musical talent and that they'll never play anything, and come out...smiling.

Puna
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  08:26:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paul just went out to the mail box where the "mele man" brought him some mail from Aloha Music Camp. How timely is that? Perhaps it is in the stars.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  10:05:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Amazing how the music Gods work on you isn't it :-)
You got the fever yet?

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  1:34:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Note that Tommy and Jason are in one of the pix on the brochure. Gotta be a reason, or seven. I can think of more than a few good ones.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Sweet Pea
Aloha

22 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  07:45:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went to AMC in June 2007 - seems like forever ago - and went as a non-musician. I am, however, a dancer. I went with that in mind and wondered if I could fill my day. HA! There weren't enough hours in the day to do all I wanted to do. I HAVE to go back ! I am wishing and hoping and praying that I can go back next June.

Ah yes, Jason! He is such an incredible talent. A man who showed 'alhoha' to all with whom he had contact. And an infectious smile.
Go to Top of Page

mokupuni
Aloha

30 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  09:57:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit mokupuni's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here is link to a video about AMC on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S0ezFQke7M

'O au iho no,
Liko Puha
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  06:17:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK and now back to Nani and here questions about camp life. I have found a flight from the big Island to Molokai and back BUT I will arrive on Molokai at 7 AM now so obviously I will be renting a car for the day. and sightseeing. but do I need a car for the week. I have been to Molokai several times before and done the torist thing. I plan to spend my time in Camp so is a car necessary? I figuare by the time I get off the plane and drive up into town have Breakfast and buy some Lavoish the other shops should be open and I can hit those then Hit Mt Thunder on my way out to camp. My only problem will be how to return the car and then get back to camp but I got lots of time to work it out.
I am proud of me Hubby went to a meeting this weekend and I went along. I got brave and did not sit in my room playing my Ukulele. I went down in the courtyard and played in public ALONE for the first time. got lots of stares some of them not to friendly I must say but I kept on playing. I will lick this shyness thing some how. I do fine in groups.
Sure do hope some others that will be going to Camp for the first time post here.
Aloha

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  09:45:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nancy, Just call one of the taxi/van services. You are getting the car from the airport, right? They will stop there, and have before, mostly with other campers in the van.

Why would you want to leave Camp anyway? (Except maybe for a Bread Run, if that still exists).

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Sweet Pea
Aloha

22 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  10:08:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
June 2007 was my first time at camp. I did not leave ! I was fully engrossed and engaged with the people, the classes, the culture and really had no time (or desire) to leave camp. Some did.. and brought back Moloka'i bread to share. Oh yummy ! Having a rental car available is a personal choice.
Go to Top of Page

Larry Goldstein
Lokahi

267 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2007 :  09:18:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like most of the islands, Molokai is very diverse, and the habitat changes dramatically depending upon where you are. The windward (makani) side gets the rain. The lee (lulu) side, where camp is located, is pretty dry.

At my first camp I thoroughly enjoyed just being at Kaupoa Beach. At the second camp I decided to rent a car, and was glad I did. For example, a short drive from Mauna Loa takes you to Kaluakoi Road and down to Papohaku Beach. This beach is 3 miles long and maybe 400 hundred feet wide. I had the whole place to myself.

Or, if you spent more time on Molokai, you could go the windward side and see the spectacular Halawa Valley. It’s about 32 miles along a narrow country road from Kaunakakai. Very good snorkeling (octopus!) around milepost 20-21.

No matter, you’re in for a wonderful experience.

Larry
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000