Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 2008 Winter Aloha Camp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

Ben
Lokahi

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  3:14:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there a sign-up form for the I'll be baaack club? Do we pay dues?

What a great week! I'm a pretty introverted guy, so to plop myself down amidst 50-60 strangers took me waaaaay out of my comfort zone at first. But folks were so open and friendly and helpful that it quickly passed. I may not quite have become gregarious, but I did feel very comfortable. I'd do it again in a hearbeart.

It would be hard to pick just one highlight from camp, but sitting and listening to Aunty Nona would have to be near the top of the list. What a great lady. Gentle and wise and humble and strong. The world would be a better place if we were all a bit more like her.

Great pictures, Nancy! And for those who just can't get enough, here's a link to some more pictures from camp. You may not believe it, but I really did cut out a lot of my surf and sunset pix.

http://picasaweb.google.com/snappinpix/AlohaMusicCampWinter2008

Mālama pono
Ben
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  09:47:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Ben, you take pictures like you play guitar. It was a pleasure meeting you zt camp. If you ever come my way in the PNW give a call.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  10:20:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ben,

Great photos! PA is not too far. Ever make it to NJ or NY?

Andy
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  11:07:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What great pictures from both Nani and Ben. How wonderful they are and it looks like you guys had a great time. Nani - I love your pictures of No`eau -- the one with the "Got Poi" t-shirt and one of him getting the kaukau. But hey - you guys cheated! Those laulau are in tin foil. Where's the ti leaves? Those brand new `ukuleles look great. How difficult was it to make them? Were the frets already installed? Who is the gentleman who looks like a kahu -- kinda skinny with pony tail? Also like those pictures of Aunty Nona and of Mark Nelson. And those moths are definitely large but I did not see one of them in a wine glass.

Now I am going to have to save my kala for Paul and I to join you guys one of these days/years.

It is priceless that you were able to talk with Aunty Nona and share her wisdom and mana`o.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

suelou
Aloha

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  11:36:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also have my pictures finally ready, you need to e-mail me so I can add you to my "share" list to view them. Lots of waves, sunsets, workshops (no whales), some of Kalaupapa, Halawa Valley & misc Moloka'i pictures.
Go to Top of Page

Ben
Lokahi

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  12:01:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Al, you are way too kind, and the pleasure was mine. I really enjoyed when you and Sonny were singing bits of Kamalani o Keaukaha in the class sessions. You have a wonderful voice to go with your beautiful kika playing and your harmony was perfect.

Andy, mahalo for the compliment. Maybe we need to look into an East Coast contingent combination master class/kani kapila some warm weekend. We're pretty spread out, but I see addresses in NY, ME, DE, VA, DC and li'l ol' me in PA represented here in the patch. Probably ought to have a separate thread for that discussion.

Wanda, mahalo to you, too. Dennis had already applied the fingerboard and frets, thank goodness, precision in the placement being so important and all. Other than that, everything was just rough-cut. It wasn't hard work but it took a bit of attention to detail and then there were hours and hours of sanding during camp with hours and hours more to go here at home before the wood is ready for a finish. I'm anxious to see how beautiful the wood is with a proper finish on it. Dennis really picked out some nice wood for us.

To all my camp-mates and TP 'ohana, if you are ever going to find yourself in the general Washington-Baltimore area, send me an email and maybe we can arrange to get together.

A hui hou

Mālama pono
Ben
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  5:45:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage  Reply with Quote
BRAVO BEN!
Your picturs are wonderful. You said the ferry ride was an adventure now I SEE what you mean. But OH what a Rainbow photo you got WOW. Gee it really looks like we had fun. Guess we just gotta go back again.
Aloha and thanks for sharing your photos!

"A hui hou kakou, malama pono".
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  5:48:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wanda no feel sorry for us the Food was ONO even in foil. did you see any leftovers ? I have the recipes for you. I made mine with no salt and no problem plenty of natural salt in the food. Sonny even went out and got Ophi for us and we had it in our Poke now we are really talking ONO!

"A hui hou kakou, malama pono".
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  7:56:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Back from camp and snapped back into the work mode (can't feel sorry for myself; I played hooky while my wife held down the fort with kids and work! Ooooo, what a lucky man). Made many new friends this time around.

Mahalo nui to both Nancy and Ben for sharing your photos. Splendid!

The music, the classes, the instructors, as always, were fantastic. The cooking class (or as one friend called it, "the eating class") was oh so ono (Mark are you taking note). Chef Elmer is a great addition!

Aloha no

Jeff

Jeff

Making Trout Country safe for Slack Key!
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  8:57:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ben,

I like that photo caption of yours about the Ukulele classmates and their mentor. I think of Dennis of the "tor-mentor", he torments me with those beautiful instruments he makes. I have several and they always send me into a tizzy when I play them.

I wish we could all go to camp both times in the year, that way we'll all get to know each other personally instead of as "winter" and "summer" campers.

And Wanda, I'll go see if I can get my photo of the Moloka'i bat in the wine glass with his redeyes clearly showing. What a lush.

Aloha, Julie
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2008 :  3:24:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha Kakou -

Mahalo nui to everyone who helped make the February Aloha Camp the best ever.

I have posted some of the 1000 pictures I shot when I wasn't running around administering things, teaching `ukulele or guitar, or eating. Mostly eating.

http://www.alohamusiccamp.com/

A hui hou!

Go to Top of Page

Ben
Lokahi

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2008 :  3:41:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by guavasunrise

[Here's a photo of Aunty Nona from today's Honolulu Advertiser that was taken back in 1954.

Aloha e Braddah Ed, and mahalo for posting that link. Quite a beauty on the outside, too, yah? And you can really see Keola in Aunty Nona's face - the set of the mouth, the cheeks, the eyes.

Speaking of pictures, I like yours in your profile, although my wife had a bad experience with what may have been one of your very close cousins in Bali a couple of decades ago. We're assuming that one's bad behavior doesn't run in the family.

Mālama pono
Ben
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2008 :  8:48:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ben,
I did not see your picture of the green flash. Do you still have it? It looked exactly like the photo on the McMaster CD of the same name.

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Ben
Lokahi

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2008 :  11:25:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Karl Monetti

Ben,
I did not see your picture of the green flash. Do you still have it? It looked exactly like the photo on the McMaster CD of the same name.

I still have it. I didn't post it because it is pretty blurry (1/40th second with a 300mm lens doesn't work well hand-held). I'll email it to you, though, if you want.

Mālama pono
Ben
Go to Top of Page

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2008 :  06:21:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ben

Speaking of pictures, I like yours in your profile, although my wife had a bad experience with what may have been one of your very close cousins in Bali a couple of decades ago. We're assuming that one's bad behavior doesn't run in the family.

Braddah Ed's wife is very nice, so I guess bad behavior doesn't run in his family at least! Ed does monkey around a lot, however.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000