Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 2008 Winter Aloha Camp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  10:52:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
I would like to know if any airlines would allow anyone to hand check their guitars at the gate as we board.

As far as I know, every airline will let you gate check instruments. But don't forget that your gate-checked guitar will still be going in the hold; so pack it up well and be sure the headstock is supported.

Cheers,

Mark
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  11:09:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
--Mark Nelson tells of seeing a huge guy jump up and down on one while Bruce's expensive Taylor was inside! I highly recommend them.

That would be Liko Puha outside the Rainbow room at Kalani Honua. I was also watching in disbelief at the time. Bruce was also standing on it at the same time. Quite impressive! In one of Bruce's early ads, there's actually a picture.

dog
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  8:22:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I seem to remember a photo of Liko and George Kahumoku Jr. standing on the case together. OW! Both of them good-sized, traditionally built Hawaiian gents.

Wonder if Bruce makes ukulele cases...

Julie

Edited by - Julie H on 10/03/2007 8:24:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  1:10:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Alaska Airlines is now flying to Hawaii. I have had great luck with them and guitars. They will almost always allow a full sized guitar in the overheads, and many of the flights have little closets behind first class that accommodate guitars nicely. Never a problem with my travel guitars in the overhead. And, gate checking is always an acceptable option as well.
I know they will be flying from Ak to Hi., not sure if they will fly there out of Seattle or L.A. as well

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  1:11:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark,
WAs it the Aoha camp or another i attended that gave a discount if yoiu brought along a new camper???? Always looking for a way to save a buck, you know.

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  1:26:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
WAs it the Aoha camp or another i attended that gave a discount if yoiu brought along a new camper????

We did offer such a program for returning campers who brought someone new to camp for a limited time in the past . It isn't on the books for this year, sorry.
Go to Top of Page

mokupuni
Aloha

30 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  5:56:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit mokupuni's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by `Ilio Nui

quote:
--Mark Nelson tells of seeing a huge guy jump up and down on one while Bruce's expensive Taylor was inside! I highly recommend them.

That would be Liko Puha outside the Rainbow room at Kalani Honua. I was also watching in disbelief at the time. Bruce was also standing on it at the same time. Quite impressive! In one of Bruce's early ads, there's actually a picture.

dog

Too funny! I remember when Bruce asked me to stand on it with him, "Heh?!" was my reaction. In those days I was a svelte 450lbs. (sigh)

Then he said, "Jump up and down a little."
"Heh?! Brah, no joke k, cuz I no like pay for dat!"

Da buggah when hold!

Unreal his website now. He's wearing a shirt and everything!

'O au iho no,
Liko Puha
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  6:11:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LIKO!

You're too funny...

There really was a guitar in that case, huh?

Aloha, Julie
Go to Top of Page

Ben
Lokahi

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2007 :  09:44:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A couple of questions -

* Do we know what style 'ukulele we'll be making? If it will fit in a standard 'uke case, I'll bring an empty for transport back to PA; otherwise I'll wrap it up well in clothes. Has Uncle Dennis shared his plans yet, Mark?

* Is anyone else taking the ferry from Lahaina Sunday morning, and if so, are you interested in taking a morning tour of other parts of Moloka'i? Halawa Valley looks nice. I'm not planning on leaving the camp once I get there, but I do plan to take advantage of the time between arrival at Kaunakakai and camp check-in. Since it's not a matter of general importance, you can e-mail me directly if you're interested. I'm willing to take care of the booking. Checking on-line, Moloka'i Off-Road offers several options. Anyone care to chime in with experiences or advice?

A hui hou,
Ben

Mālama pono
Ben
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2007 :  11:15:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
* Do we know what style 'ukulele we'll be making? If it will fit in a standard 'uke case, I'll bring an empty for transport back to PA; otherwise I'll wrap it up well in clothes. Has Uncle Dennis shared his plans yet, Mark?

We've got info on the `ukulele building classes for February and June on the camp website www.alohamusiccamp.com; click on the link that says "`Ukulele Building."

For Feb, it's a traditionally shaped concert style. You can see the prototype on the website. The class is sold out for February, sorry. We'll take names for a waiting list in case someone opts out.

For June, Dennis is doing two classes: adults will build a Kamaka-style cigar box instrument. These are incredible and just as challenging to build as the other. I have one and it rocks!

For the first time, Dennis will offer a keiki class in June, too.

Dennis supplies gig bags for all the `ukulele classes as part of your materials fee.

See you at Kaupoa!

Edited by - Mark on 10/15/2007 11:18:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  02:47:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Am I da only crazy person counting the days till camp. I have a little time bomb on my computer screen and yippee this morning it says 100 days till camp! OK back to work now!

"A hui hou kakou, malama pono".
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  1:53:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nancy, I am that crazy too, only my countdown is for the June Camp...
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  8:59:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BOOOO!

Does that mean we may see each other again, after all these years!!! We should sign up soon so that we may ask to be "platform mates". We sure missed you the last time...

Hugs, Julie
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2007 :  3:40:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh good I was too embarrassed tu say how early my countdown really started. :-)
Have fun in June I am really looking forward to Feb.

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  05:37:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey former Campers I was checking out the Camp web site and it talks about making sure to order tees and stuff before arriving but there is no place to order from am I in too big of a hurry ( as usual) or not looking in the right place?

Nancy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000