Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Sony Field Recorder
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2007 :  2:55:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Howdy all -

Just got my review unit of the new Sony PCM-D50 Field Recorder. Aside from the fact that I won't buy anything Japanese until they agree to abide by the international whaling treaty, it looks like a dandy, pro- level recorder. Too bad you shouldn't buy it.

Science means studying whales, not eating them.

I think I'll go study a martini.

Mark

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2007 :  5:16:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
You crack me up!

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2007 :  03:52:50 AM  Show Profile
Mark, the Japanese simply won't give up whaling anytime soon. Your boycott is admirable; be prepared for a long sit-out.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2007 :  04:25:25 AM  Show Profile
I think Slipry1 has one. Way cool! He even figgered upt how to make it work. It's like a studio you can put in your pocket. Couldn't even smell the whale oil.
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2007 :  05:33:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
It's a very cool looking piece of equipment. I have been considering similar gear, and there are options besides the Sony. (I won't buy a Sony anything - for a variety of reasons.)

Have you seen the Zoom H4?

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ZOMH4

Not all of the same features as the Sony, but less than 20% of the cost. Regrettably, I don't know where these are made, either.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2007 :  07:43:56 AM  Show Profile
Bill, there has been extensive discussion here of the Zoom H4 and H2, in the Gear section. Sarah has an H4, and I think Craig has one of everything :-). Mark has "official" reviews that those discussions will point you to. And, Google Zoom H4 for the official web site. My recollection is that it is a subsidiary of something else. I'll bet it has parts from every area of Asia, just as my computers do.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2007 :  07:55:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
Have you seen the Zoom H4?

Hi Bill.

I review digital gear for an online magazine called O'Reilly Digital Media. http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/

There's a lot of interest in field recorders at the moment. So far I've looked at the Zoom H4, Zoom H2, Edirol R-09, M-Audio Microtrack 2496 and the Korg Mr-1. All are made in Japan.

I am aware that my little snit fit about Japanese whaling practices doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. Neither does anything we do, really. At least from the perspective of a rock...

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2007 :  08:04:16 AM  Show Profile
Ai pohaku

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2007 :  09:19:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage

I've been thinking.... Who'd want to record a field?

Maybe that's a happenin' thing in Japan...keeps their minds off the whale controversy maybe.

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!

Edited by - Podagee57 on 11/21/2007 3:44:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2007 :  11:59:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I'm down to an H4 and a custom modified Marantz PMD-660.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2007 :  12:14:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by hwnmusiclives

Have you seen the Zoom H4? Not all of the same features as the Sony, but less than 20% of the cost.

I think you're confusing the PCM-D50 with the PCM-D1, which has been out for a while and goes for around $1,900. The PCM-D50 goes for around $500 while the H4 goes for $300. Also worth considering is the new Marantz PMD620 at $400.

The Marantz is also made in Japan, BTW. I'm pretty sure the Microtrack is made in China so as long as you don't put it in your mouth you're fine.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2007 :  2:52:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by thumbstruck

I think Slipry1 has one. Way cool! He even figgered upt how to make it work. It's like a studio you can put in your pocket. Couldn't even smell the whale oil.

I think he's got the Zoom H2; doesn't no`eau have one as well?
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2007 :  3:20:23 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Retro

quote:
Originally posted by thumbstruck

I think he's got the Zoom H2; doesn't no`eau have one as well?

Yep to both. No'eau convinced me that I had to have one.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2007 :  5:59:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage
Interesting about the whales in Japan. Evidently consumption of whale meat is down considerably. Older Japanese especially remember when they had to eat it as lunch food in school and hated it. However, the government (and I assume nationalists and those in the industry) support the hunt. A close friend of mine who's father was a whaler has mixed feelings about it. It put rice on the table when she was young but she never eats it when she goes home. Living here, of course, it is difficult to come by.

Sandy

Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2007 :  8:37:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by slipry1

Yep to both. No'eau convinced me that I had to have one.

I'm getting dangerously tempted myself...no tell Momi ... especially since I will be gainfully employed again soon.

(Oop. She reads TP regularly. Oh well.)
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2007 :  5:17:55 PM  Show Profile
Mark, you have to do as your concience dictates. Each one tell one.
A large portion of the electronic equipment comes from Japan,but there are other choices. You might want to avoid the Chinese stuff- it may have lead-based paint!
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000