Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 Cloudy Future for the Aloha Camp???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2007 :  10:27:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the scary headline, but I decided to be proactive on this before the rumors start flying.

This mornings Honolulu Advertiser featured a story about Moloka`i Properties Ltd (MPL), the outfit that includes the Moloka`i Ranch, and Kaupoa Beach Village, where we hold the Aloha Music Camp.

Please take a moment to read it so we are all on the same page: http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071220/BUSINESS/712200324/1188

In essence, MPL says that a) they are losing money bigtime, and b) to lose less money, they will cut back operations. That could include closing, and possibly selling, Kaupoa Beach Village.

Now, before everyone panics-- in spite of what the article makes it sound, this is not news. I was aware the Ranch was not profitable even before we held the first camp. It has been the position of MPL right from the beginning that something would have to give-- either they found another source of revenue, or they would have to cut operations.

I am not going to go into the pros and cons of what they decided to do; suffice it to say the La`au Point development plan has proven to be massively contentious on Moloka`i. All I will say is this: please listen to all sides of the argument before making up your mind. As with most controversies, it is far easier to press for what you are against than what you are for...

The Aloha Music Camp has contracted to hold two events at Kaupoa in 2008. I fully expect that we will continue to hold the camp at this most wonderful of places for many years to come.

Watch this space--- but please don't panic.

Mark Kailana Nelson
Aloha Music Camp Administrator

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2007 :  11:17:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Mark,

You might have earned a job on the local news. "The silent killer... find out what it is after this commercial break." You scared me with that title. I will read the article when I get home tonight.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

PuaLynn
Lokahi

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2007 :  09:26:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was at 2007 February AMC when a representative of the Moloka'i Ranch presented their vision to the campers for La'au Point development and have been following it ever since, in a quiet fashion. I have to say, the developers' vision of mega-McMansions seemed bizarre and culturally (and environmentally) insensitive.

Mark, I think it was a great idea to have that presentation as it has helped me to begin to understand the great rift that is dividing the Moloka'i community. Since then, I've periodically checked out the local papers and, when talking to anyone on Moloka'i, have asked what they thought was happening or should be happening.

I have to confess, I was torn about this year's camp .. wanting to support the Moloka'i Ranch staff (but not the owners) and knowing that the community was in a turmoil. In the end, the draw of Kaupoa Beach Village and the wonderful Beamer Ohana won out. Given the physical and cultural distance of the Indonesian ownership and their need to show profitability, I can't imagine Kaupoa Beach Village will be allowed to continue as it was for many more camp sessions. I hope I'm wrong, but am really looking forward to the 2008 February Camp.

My heart goes out to Moloka'i and hope healing can reunite its community.

Me ke aloha,
Lynn

Edited by - PuaLynn on 12/23/2007 09:27:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2007 :  11:22:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage  Reply with Quote

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2007 :  12:47:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK guys, lets get real.

Posting that photo only demonstrates that you have no freaking clue about the issues involved.

I spend quite a bit of time on Moloka`i, and I have seen similar signs all over the island. I have also seen signs that say "Support the Plan" all over the island, tho, to be sure, these tend to get removed in the middle of the night.

I am not a fan of development-- but consider for a moment a couple of salient facts:

1) Molokai's population is currently 1/3 third of what it was when the plantations were running. The original issue the protester's raised to stop La`au Point was water. OK, but how come there was enough water when the population was three times as large?

2) Want a job on Moloka`i? Good luck. You have a couple of choices. One is the Ranch, one of the biggest employers on the island. Another is Monsanto-- who are testing genetically modified corn. Yes, the same stuff that is destroying ecosystems all over the world. Where's the protest about that?

Every day the ferry to Maui is full of people commuting to work because there aren't any high paying jobs (in construction, no less... anyone for irony?)

3) Boycotting Kaupoa Beach Village to send a message to the MPL is exactly the opposite of what they need to hear. We have to show them-- and the protesters -- that there are people who value the island and its culture, and are willing to spend money to help generate jobs.

There are only a couple of hotels on the island. Ditto only a few restaurants. There used to be theatre, bowling alleys, cafes-- all gone because there is no work. There is no hospital on Molokai, hell, there's no vet.

If you want to get involved, do something constructive. How about starting a business there? We did. How about creating scholarships for teachers and kids? We did that, too.

But if you want to join the good fight and "Save" something, you better have something in mind to help move the process along. You also better be damn sure you know what the real issues are. Do you know how the land swap was developed? Do you know how much community input went into it? Have you followed this from the beginning? Are you willing to put your butt on the line?

I don't particularly like the La`au point development plans. But I also know damn well that if it is stopped, something else will crop up in its place. Is there a chance that the Ranch will be sold off piece by piece if you "Save La`u?" Yes, there is. A very real chance.

Personally, I'd rather not see Molokai turn into Lanai. Or west Maui. You don't think there are developers dying to build thousands of condos, golf clubs and exclusive beach resorts? Care to think what Kaupoa would look like if the Four Seasons got a hold of it? You don't think that is a possibility?

But I also don't want to see Molokai turn into a welfare state.

Like I said before-- it's easy to be against something, but what are you for?

What's your proposal?

Go to Top of Page

PuaLynn
Lokahi

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2007 :  2:47:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had posted a response, but think it more appropriate to move it to the "talk story" thread.

Me ke aloha,
Lynn

Edited by - PuaLynn on 12/26/2007 05:38:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

GUke
Lokahi

188 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2007 :  09:19:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
e Mark,
Thanks for the info on Moloka'i developments. I certainly don't have any answers. Whatever does get decided I hope that both sides won't remain eternally angry with each other. Somewhere there's a compromise where neither side feels victory.

Kaupoa Beach Village is such a unique place and I'm glad I experienced it. I'm hopeful too, that AMC continues should the Village be lost in the future. It's not the location, but the event (sharing the aloha and ohana through Hawaii's musical culture) that's important.

Happy Holidays,
Genaro

Genaro

Should I? Itʻs only $, and where Iʻm going itʻll burn or melt.
Go to Top of Page

Larry Goldstein
Lokahi

267 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2007 :  09:33:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
You also better be sure you know what the real issues are

My world view is, “enough is enough,” and every square foot of Hawai’i that can be preserved should be. But Mark’s impassioned response presented me a challenge.

What I have learned is:
• If the La’au Point development doesn’t proceed, the economic viability of The Ranch becomes even shakier
• The local community politely but firmly is split
• Kaupoa Beach and the Aloha Music Camp are part of the equation
• People whom I respect and who have a long history on Moloka’i say this is perhaps the best compromise to guide island development
• There is real benefit to reducing inevitable piecemeal development
• 50,000 acres go into community land trust, and potentially preserved forever
• There is real economic benefit from the compromise through taxes to help support subsistence hunting programs, education and affordable housing

Obviously, Moloka’i isn’t going to return to a subsistence economy. The economic realities of business on the island are real, as is the difficulty to earn a living there. I believe we all need to do what we can to help support the people who teach us this incredible culture.

Larry
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000