Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 2009 Winter Aloha Camp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

suelou
Aloha

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  07:41:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to everything ... but ...aue! No oli! I learned more about Hawaiian language last year from Sam in that class! Kaliko, if you read these posts - how about something for those of us more than just beginners in langauge? I know enough to want to know more - and need to hear it spoken! Learning from books just isn't enough! Anyone else interested?
Susan
Go to Top of Page

Mark Alan
Aloha

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  10:53:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark Alan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Susan - I know how you feel. I was looking forward to oli (mostly for education since I don't speak Hawaiian). When I saw the class wasn't part of this camp, my excitement dropped....but just a little. I'm sure everything offered will still be great and totally worth it!
Go to Top of Page

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  2:09:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alohe e Susan a me Mark

Kaliko probably doesn't read these...he's usually too busy. However, in past camps, he's been open (and excited) to offer intermediate or advanced 'olelo or similar classes...but the secret is finding a time that is off-schedule. One year the schedule had something like 90 mins for dinner...we got together 10 people who made sure we had dinner in the first half hour, and then met with him for an hour each night.

Find a group of people who are interested (in language or oli), go through the schedule looking for possible time slots (keeping in mind that he may need to prep for a class or concert), and ask him.

Puna
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  9:36:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK Ben,

I checked out your photo on TaroPatch, you check out mine and maybe we'll actually connect in the bar. We will arrive Feb 5 sometime after the requisite Costco booze run....

Julie
Go to Top of Page

suelou
Aloha

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2009 :  03:37:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha kakou,
I will ask Kaliko about another language session and a spot to fit it in if I can get interest from enough people. Let me know here if you would come to an intermediate langugage class (or something similar) and then I can let Kaliko know how many would attend something like that. Mahalo!
Susan
Go to Top of Page

cwilson
Aloha

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2009 :  6:56:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Susan,
I may be interested but it would depend on the time.
I am building a uke and that takes a lot of time. Ket me know what
you find out.
Mahalo, Clay
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Lokahi

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2009 :  02:09:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greetings, people!

Alison and I are supposed to arrive at nine at night local time on Saturday 7th February. We'll be recognisable by our pasty pale complexions, and the pirate stickers on my guitar case. If anyone else is arriving around that time we'll be happy to travel together. If not, well we'll see you all there.
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2009 :  07:53:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
maybe we'll actually connect in the bar. We will arrive Feb 5 sometime after the requisite Costco booze run....

I'm sensing a theme here.
Go to Top of Page

Michael MacLeod
Aloha

Canada
26 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2009 :  06:20:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael MacLeod's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Anyone arriving Friday the 6th?

Michael MacLeod
The Acoustic Guitar, Calgary
www.acousticguitar.net
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  5:44:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to suggest that, for those of us who will arrive days early, that if we try to get to the bar every day at around 5, we should be able to meet folks who are part of the camp. Just wear a big smile and carry an important-looking drink. That leaves me searching for you on Thursday, Friday AND Saturday. Oooh, big bar bill!

Julie

That's OK, I'm over 21...
Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  07:24:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Trev

Just heard that London got 10 inches of snow. How is it in Sheffield? That definitely makes Hawaii look good, doesn't it?

Jeff

Making Trout Country safe for Slack Key!
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  08:47:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Here is what it is like in Kona right now: http://www.konaweb.com/index.shtml#WEBCAM

That should make some of you happy...
Aloha,
-Konabob

Konabob's Walkingbass - http://www.konawalkingbass.com
Taropatch Steel - http://www.konaweb.com/konabob/
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=Konabob2+Walkingbass
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  3:53:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am very pleased to announce that we have added very special last minute progra to the Aloha Music Camp next week.

On Tuesday Night, Master Navigator Kealepa Baybayan will talk about Traditional Hawaiian Voyaging and Navigation.

Chad Kalepa Baybayan is widely known as one of the few individuals who is capable of navigating long, open ocean voyages using only traditional Polynesian methods. Baybayan is a graduate of UH Hilo's Ka Haka ‘Ula o Ke‘elikolani College of Hawaiian Language, and holds a Masters degree from Heritage College. He also serves as project director for ‘Aha Punana Leo's Hokualaka‘i Voyaging Program.

See you soon!

Kailana
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Lokahi

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2009 :  05:01:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jeff!

Sheffield is cold and icy, but about 70% of us have got into work today. In London, they've stopped all the buses, and all but 2 of the trains. That didn't even happen in the Second World War!

My first worry is that we've got to cross the Pennine hills to get from Sheffield to Manchester Airport, the road is closed and likely to remain so, as the snow stays up there for a long time.

I've tried to factor in time between each flight in case anything goes wrong, but I can't foretell the future. The weather delays things, luggage gets lost, or broken, Immigration might decide to give me a hard time - these things happen. We'll be there as soon as we can be, which as I say is supposed to be 9 pm local time at Kona airport on the Saturday.

But enough of my Phileas Fogg-like conjecture!

Once my aeroplane is above the clouds, then the weather can do what it likes back home.
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2009 :  9:46:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Trev,

Here's wishing you a good flight. See you there. Sometime around cocktail hour....

Julie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000