Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 Kanikapila O'ahu
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 32

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  10:54:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like it better if no one uses amplifiers. The problem is that when one person uses one then everyone else has to too to be able to hear themselves and it makes it so that people who don't bring amps cannot be heard. And also, I think at lower volumes people listen to each other more and give more space for people singing or playing solos.

Duke and Jay got a couple of small quiet generators with power strips for Kaka'ako.
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2009 :  11:02:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha,

Doug said Kailua District park is booked up all the way through August! Holy cow, popular place. Was wondering if you guys want to come out to the North Shore for March's kanikapila? I'm looking around for possible places, one would be Ali'i Beach Park. If we go there, it'll be unplugged, and hopefully under a big shady tree. Let me know what you think.

Mahalo, Lanet
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2009 :  5:03:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The amps helped cause was outdoors maybe vocals stuff would be good too. just remember though that somebody gotta bring that kine stuff and if get broke den what? So mo bettah keep um simple if can. In Seattle we lucky. The restaurant we go to get Hawai'i connection so they welcome us twice a month sometimes. Sat. mornings the bar is empty we can use it and also order breakfast. I know Wailana coffee shop's bar is empty in the AM too. Maybe could get the bar for jam or someplace similar where the players are out of the way of the regular customers at any establishment that might allow jams. Hawaiian music is scarce in WA so it is easy to get someplace to play.
Form an informal jam group and call it a club and find a facility that supports this kind of thing. After all Hawaii is the home of Hawaiian music and we need to support it as much as we can. Don't have to be for performers only. Just have the aloha for the music and the willingness to share.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  02:06:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, like Al said. One hui -- da Hui Kani. Den even can get grants from OHA. They give grants fo support and perpetuate traditional Hawaiian music.

Don't foget - check out libraries or community centers for a room or lanai.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  10:20:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by noeau

The amps helped cause was outdoors maybe vocals stuff would be good too. just remember though that somebody gotta bring that kine stuff and if get broke den what? So mo bettah keep um simple if can. In Seattle we lucky. The restaurant we go to get Hawai'i connection so they welcome us twice a month sometimes. Sat. mornings the bar is empty we can use it and also order breakfast. I know Wailana coffee shop's bar is empty in the AM too. Maybe could get the bar for jam or someplace similar where the players are out of the way of the regular customers at any establishment that might allow jams. Hawaiian music is scarce in WA so it is easy to get someplace to play.
Form an informal jam group and call it a club and find a facility that supports this kind of thing. After all Hawaii is the home of Hawaiian music and we need to support it as much as we can. Don't have to be for performers only. Just have the aloha for the music and the willingness to share.

To back up Al, Thumbs & me started it a couple of years ago at the Kona Kitchen. I live in the neighborhood, and one morning it dawned on us that we could go have breakfast and jam a little on the side. We asked Liz, the manager, if it would be ok, & she agreed. We did it haphazardly at first, whenever we felt like it, but other folks started showing up - momi & retro, some of the Seattle Experiment folk, then noeau, and then other Hawaiian musicians. Since there were so many people to contact, we decided to have it once a month. retro is a DJ on the Hawaii Radio Conncetion (12-2 every Saturday - listen!) on the first Saturday, so we have it on the 2nd Saturday. So, it's grown into a regular kanekapila. People start drifting in around 9am, we have breakfsat ohana style about 10, and people start drifing out around noon. So - start small, have fun, and maybe it will grow. The Kona Kitchen gets more people at breakfast that day (their breakfasts are onolicious!) because they know there'll be music, and we all have fun. Again, the clue is start small, and don't worry about being formal.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2009 :  3:30:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha Taropatch Ohana,
Mahalo to you all for the feedback on the kanikapila's being amplified. It's nice to know how everyone feels so that we can all be comfortable and have fun. I've got a couple promising venues but I'm waiting to confirm before I post them. Slipry, I'm excited to say that I had a brunch idea for these venues and you confirmed that it was a good idea, MAHALO!
A Hui Hou, Lanet ~ mom of the Abrigo Ohana
Go to Top of Page

PoiDog
Lokahi

245 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  08:43:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When is the next one?

Aloha,
da Poi Dog
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  5:27:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha Taro Patch Ohana,

Sorry I haven't updated you all on the kanikapila. My husband hurt his back at work and hasn't been able to walk since. That was nearly two weeks ago. Now they're threatening to lay him off because he can't come in and do his job. He's our families only source of income (unless the kids can start landing some gigs), so we've been dealing with figuring out how we will pay our bills, keep a roof over our heads, and food on the table. The children have been helping me take care of daddy round the clock. To us, the most important thing is to get daddy better. Money comes and goes, but daddies can never be replaced!

OK, the kanikapila... I've had contact with the PR lady at Helemano Plantation, but that seems to be slow moving. Still waiting for her to contact me with a time to meet. Also went to Pizza Bob's in Haleiwa, waiting to hear back from the manager now. Mike is looking into an old Hawaiian church in Haleiwa for us too, we'll see what comes of that. Also thought that the Waialua Community Center in Haleiwa might have potential. The acoustics in that building are AMAZING, but that's another thing that's taking a while. There are two other places I'm looking into, but I'd rather not post the names of the places until I know they at least has potential.

Please don't give up on this kanikapila guys, it is just too wonderful to let go!

Much Mahalo, Lanet and the Abrigo Ohana
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  11:42:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Waialua mo far den Wahiawa Not to convenient fo a lot of folk. Jus a question but how come da venue going mo far from town. Do most players live leeward side? I jus curious because I no live on O'ahu any moa. But sometimes I drive up to 20 milesfor jam. But up hea das normal. Not so for O'ahu.
How about checking out YMCA's or Community centers where rooms can be had for cheap. Coupla dollars chipped in would make it work. Mōʻiliʻili Community Center get rooms fo rent. Once a month kine not too expensive. Like our group is maxed at about 15 players and listeners. How many people would you folks be looking at?
Just thought Iʻd drop a coupla ideas on you folks fo think about. Good luck.

Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2009 :  09:32:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha Al,

I've been working on getting a place more central, like Aiea would be nice, but haven't had much luck. Community Centers and places like that do carry a fee, and I'd like to make this a free event. Also would like to have it someplace easy to purchase food. It's so nice to be able to just order some food, no need worry about packing picnic, or BBQ. Guess I feel that way because I'm not such a good cook.

Was mostly shooting for the North Shore this month because I can't travel far with my husband laid up with his back. Unless we have it down here and everyone decides they really like the place, I'd continue to look for a more central place.

I think the last kanikapila had a nice sized turn out. We didn't make it, but by the video it looked like maybe 20, plus people there to listen.

Mahalo, Lanet
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2009 :  3:30:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All good ideas Lanet. Just want to mention that SUpA participants drop three dollars each time and also get good fun kine raffle. Many possibilities. I hope your husband heals well. Whereever the jam ends up should be good.

Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2009 :  10:36:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha Taropatch Ohana,

Been working so hard on finding the right spot for everyone to kanikapila, was getting frustrated that things weren't coming together for such a great event. All the central places just weren't panning out for one reason or another. I finally stepped back and looked at everything and realized the answer has been right in front of me all this time. As soon as I embraced it, things started coming together. We need to have TWO kanikapilas every month, one on this side of the island (North Shore), and one on the town side. Everyone is invited to BOTH. This way, if you can't come to the North Shore because of distance or a scheduling conflict, you might be able to make the one in town. If you're lucky enough to make both, that would be awesome too!

I'm finalizing things with a casual restaurant here in Haleiwa with a beautiful outside patio. There will be plenty room for everyone to come and bring their 'ohana too. No payment will be due other than if you choose to enjoy food and beverages, and they have good, healthy yummies! The one in town is very close to being confirmed for July 5th. Pencil that date into your calendars and I'll give you the location as soon as it's solid. IT IS AN AWESOME LOCATION! If I can get us in there sooner, I will let you all know.

YES, I feel you Windward side guys too. Believe it or not, I have ideas for a THIRD kanikapila out your way. Boy I tell you, when it rains, IT POURS!

A Hui Hou, Lanet and the Abrigo Ohana
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2009 :  5:12:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
YAY! The kanikapila is confirmed!

Please join us for a kanikapila at Pizza Bob's in Haleiwa, Saturday, March 21, 2009 from 2 to 4 p.m. This event is, as it always was, open to all ages and skill levels, so bring your 'ohana and friends! It's FREE, just purchase your own food and beverages from the kind waitstaff. Mahalo to Pizza Bob's for supporting this event!

We will hold our kanikapila in the covered lanai with plenty of shade and cool breezes for everyone's comfort. The restaurant has also offered to hold a really beautiful spot inside if the weather isn't nice. It has always been my hope to find a facility that wants the kanikapila to be there. Pizza Bob's was delighted that we chose to do our event at their facility, and is really looking forward to supporting traditional Hawaiian music. Please do come and enjoy.

I will continue to work on another location in town for a second monthly kanikapila. I will keep you all posted on the progress.

Mahalo and Aloha,
The Abrigo Ohana
Go to Top of Page

Doug Fitch
Akahai

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2009 :  12:08:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Doug Fitch's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lanet,
Thank you mahalo gracias, danke, grazie, merci for making this all happen!
See you all then.
Doug

Doug Fitch
fitchdoug @ yahoo.com
www.dougfitchmusic.com
http://youtube.com/user/dougfitchmusic
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  09:27:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
YAY!! It's going to be SO MUCH FUN Uncle Doug. Can't wait to see you tomorrow. Hope some of the other members of the Taropatch Ohana show up too.

Aloha,
Lanet and the Abrigo Ohana
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 32 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000