Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 Kanikapila O'ahu
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 32

Hookani
Lokahi

232 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2009 :  4:23:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe not so good to show the entire world where his house is.

Ho'okani

Ke Kani Nahe
YouTube

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2009 :  5:43:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hookani

Maybe not so good to show the entire world where his house is.

Ho'okani

I removed the link to the map. Probably best to email Doug offline to get directions. Or I'd feel better if Doug posted the link himself.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2009 :  8:14:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha,

Hmmm, you guys pose a good point about privacy. I posted the map because Doug sent it to me for directions to the kanikapila, and to answer the parking concerns everyone had. He didn't object to my posting it.

Since taropatch.net is a public forum, and we're inviting everyone to these kanikapilas, perhaps we should keep them in a public place? That way everyone's privacy is protected.

Mahalo, Lanet
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2009 :  09:10:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Now thanks to the efforts of Duke, Jay and Lanet two or three sessions have been held and from what I have read they have all been quite successful. They have given us the opportunity to finally meet and put faces to the names. However, as far as building a network for the benefit of those of us who live on Oahu and for our visitors, everything at this point in putting together a regular session is still in the formative stages. My feeling is that it will come together sooner than later; it is a growing process that we will have to go through on our own and whether or not it sustains itself overtime will be up to the participants.

I do appreciate Doug’s offer to host the next gathering, he has a good sense of ho‘okipa, Inviting people to into your home to share a good time is a very generous thing, but don’t invite everybody – small gatherings of people you know are okay. As it has been discussed there is some risk involved when opening up your home to anybody off the street. Also, cleaning the house and yard, as well as asking the neighbors if your guests can use their yard to park is a hassle.

I concur with Lanet in that it would be better if this were held in a public place. Just looking at this from the point of view of logistics the best place for this would be at a beach park, they are set up for these things. They have a lot of parking, enough area to accommodate large gatherings and bathrooms (although not always clean and without doors on the stalls, but if you take care of business ahead of time it shouldn’t be to much of an inconvenience).

I would suggest Waterfront Park, where we had the last pä‘ina. It is centrally located, on the bus route and easy to find for visitors and locals alike. It is a clean place with facilities and a view of the kai that we don’t even have to pay for. There is sufficient parking, and areas in which a large group of people can set up and pa‘ani. There is even a stage and amphitheater that can be used for the asking.

Go to Top of Page

Hookani
Lokahi

232 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2009 :  09:41:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Being that the kanikapilas are an open invite to the public, I tend to agree with Peter and Lanet about trying to keep it in a public place although Doug's offer is appreciated. From this last go around the group seemed pretty big to me and being at the park, family members who aren't too interested in the music side had things they could do. Besides, some peoples just may be more comfortable in a public place.

Doesn't need to be a big shindig like Duke and Jay put on although the food was frickin' good (excuse my french). It could jus' be BYOB (bring your own bento). A good thing about being in a public place (especially in a place where visitor's go) is that the public gets to hear a good ole backyard jam. At the last jam I noticed a bunch of folks stopping to have a listen and seeming to enjoy it. Good way to spread the aloha. Jus' my thoughts.

Aloha,
Ho'okani

Ke Kani Nahe
YouTube

Go to Top of Page

Hookani
Lokahi

232 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2009 :  10:24:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the only downside of Waterfront is the bathrooms but we could always do BYOC (bring your own curtain) or jus' no eat so much.

Ho'okani

Ke Kani Nahe
YouTube

Go to Top of Page

PoiDog
Lokahi

245 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2009 :  11:10:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hookani

Yeah, the only downside of Waterfront is the bathrooms but we could always do BYOC (bring your own curtain) or jus' no eat so much.

Ho'okani

About 10 years ago (Yikes! was more like 20 years ago!), eight of us went to HNL for the Pro Bowl. Was kind of one suck'em up weekend. We arranged for a limo to take us to the game, but the power-consumption of beverage for that day started as soon as we got in the limo. `Auwe we got stuck in traffic, but the beverages continued to flow. Finally Bruddah (no waz me...promise) had to go shi-shi...badly...his eyeballs was gettin' yellow an he was swetin' like one hoss. He wen jump out of da limo, grab da front of his t-shirt an pull 'em ovah his head as if nobody can see 'em, yank down da zippah and lettago! He could not be prosecuted, 'cuz dea was a lack of evidence!

If you gotta do da #2...jes take one newspepa and make like you ste reading. Make shua ste right side up, da pepa.

So...dat's da solution. Cuvvah yo head wit yo t-shirt o read da pepa. Nobody goin' recconnize!

Aloha,
da Poi Dog

Edited by - PoiDog on 02/19/2009 11:25:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2009 :  11:24:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha Braddah Poi Dog,
You so shahp. Why we neva wen tink a dat won? Braddah you make Kapalama swell wid pride. Da Princess would be so proud, it even brings tears to my eyes, but hahd to stop laughing wen you having fun.

Edited by - Peter Medeiros on 02/19/2009 11:33:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

PoiDog
Lokahi

245 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2009 :  11:33:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BTW...Is this where the old Reconstruction place was? Like behind Honolulu Ford? Somebody mentioned Point Panic...I remember Point Panic. But that picture someone posted does not at all look familiar. I gotta go back check out Honolulu, I guess.

Aloha,
da Poi Dog

Edited by - PoiDog on 02/19/2009 11:35:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2009 :  11:41:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PoiDog

BTW...Is this where the old Reconstruction place was? Like behind Honolulu Ford? That picture someone posted does not at all look familiar. I gotta go back check out Honolulu, I guess.

Yeah its ova dea by wea Reconstruction used to be -- da place stay between "Panics" and da Harba. Used to be da city dump. Back in our day we callem "Flies". Now get da UH Med School, Da chilrens museum and da pahk. Progress!
Go to Top of Page

PoiDog
Lokahi

245 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2009 :  11:51:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yikes! IIRC, even befo Point Panic, we used to call dat place Incinerator. An you are right...had plenty flies. Da national bird of...OK, OK, I not goin' dea!

Aloha,
da Poi Dog
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2009 :  1:00:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha TP Ohana,

Doug has suggested a few parks in lieu of his home. I'll let him post that information when he has time. Please be understanding of the delay, he's working right now.

There are some parks and facilities that had come up before as potential kanikapila locations, I'm checking those out. I'll post as soon as I have information on that for everyone. Thanks again for everyones input.

Mahalo, Lanet
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2009 :  1:10:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha Guitarded,
Sorry, just found your note to me, been busy. We were hoping to find something more central and with a bit more elbow room. Although I am now realizing that it's not so much the "central location" that I'm concerned with as much as the elbow room idea. Our last kanikapila at the Cafe was not as big as the one a Kaka'ako Park, but I was already getting concerned with there not being enough space.
Mahalo, Lanet

quote:

quote:Originally posted by abrigoohana

Aloha Taropatch Ohana,

We are looking for a new place for the kanikapila. Hoping for something more central so everyone can come, and maybe with a little more space. Any ideas??? Please keep in mind, we want to stay dry, so indoors would be nice if possible. Also, wondering if Saturdays work best for everyone? Was kind of thinking Sunday afternoons might work better, please let me know.

I'm canceling the February kanikapila until we find a new place.

Mahalo, Lanet and the Abrigo Ohana

Aloha, Lanet. It seemed like you guys all had a great time at that indoor Higher Ground Cafe venue that last time. What all happened that prompted the abrupt and unexplained change in plans? Just curious.

Go to Top of Page

Doug Fitch
Akahai

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2009 :  6:21:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Doug Fitch's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi fellow slackers, Hey thanks for your smart thining all of you about keeping kanikapila's in public place. You were all one step ahead of me and I appreciate it. Thanks Lanet for relaying my info too (was MY bad not yours on sending in the map). Thanks also Andy for removing the map.

I'll try to find out more about Kailua Beach park, ie getting reservation for one of the sheltered areas there (have power, plenty clean restrooms, clean even). I'll let you all know.
Doug
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  08:32:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha Everyone,

I have a question about future kanikapilas. What does everyone suggest for mics and sound system? The Kaka'ako Park kanikapila sounded wonderful. I noticed in the videos that there were several amps. Would everyone like to bring their own amp and then we run one sound system for the mics? Do we accomplish that using power bars? Please let me know so we can plan ahead for the future.

Mahalo, Lanet
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 32 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000