Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 Kanikapila O'ahu
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 32

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2009 :  12:24:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Slipry1,

So awesome you're coming back to Hawaii next month! Maybe we can do a kanikapila while you're here? Would be so awesome.

A Hui Hou,
Lanet
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2009 :  12:29:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Auntie Wanda,
YOU DA BOMB!!! Thank you so much for inviting Uncle Bla. It will be SUCH A HUGE HONOR to meet him. Sure hope he can make it.
Mahalo,
Lanet and the Abrigo Ohana
Go to Top of Page

Doug Fitch
Akahai

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2009 :  9:28:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Doug Fitch's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Lanet, & Slack-o-philes,
I'm planning on seeing you 4/18 at Pizza Bob's (I'll be the pizza slob). I'll leave my guitar at home since they provide spoons (not!). Doug
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2009 :  4:30:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
YAY! So glad you can make it Doug, I'll tell the kids, they'll be stoked!

Aloha, Lanet
Go to Top of Page

Hookani
Lokahi

232 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2009 :  7:20:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Count me in. See ya there.

Ho'okani

Ke Kani Nahe
YouTube

Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2009 :  09:44:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
AWRIGHT, we'll see you there Uncle Derek!
Go to Top of Page

Hookani
Lokahi

232 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  11:01:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK gangy, who's gonna be going to the kanikapila this Sat. I'm itchin' to play.

Ho'okani

Ke Kani Nahe
YouTube

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2009 :  01:39:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Derek, Lanet and all you lucky folks - make sure somebody gets the video going. I enjoy the videos so much. I can tell how much fun you guys get.

I've decided Timi has to be about 20 some years old, he is a "healthy" sized young'un from what I can see. Keep these kani's going at least until we get there in August. Second and third weeks of August.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2009 :  07:12:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to remind y'all: I'll be on Oahu from 4/23 to 5/4. Sorry to miss the Kani, but I'd love to jam while I'm there. The convention is Tue - Thu (28 -30), so I'll have time on the weekends. Can't wait!

keaka
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2009 :  08:42:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kanikapila today is going to be wonderful. It's a GORGEOUS day out here on the North Shore, and we're good to go. Got ourselves an old mixer with 16 channels (it's a bit temperamental, hope it works!), so bring your cables and be ready to LIVE ALOHA!

Auntie Wanda, my little camera with easy to load to You Tube video is kicking the bucket. It's actually not such bad news as I have a video camera that makes much better quality recordings. Only bummer is that I had to order the disk from Sony to get it to upload. Not sure when it'll arrive, but when it does, I'll be sure to post everything and let you know. I can imagine you and Uncle Paul sitting there at the computer playing along with the music, makes me so happy! We'll definitely look forward to seeing you folks in August!

Uncle Jack, please tell us more about the steel guitar thing you mentioned before. Is that what you're coming for? Is it at the convention center?

Mahalo,
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2009 :  08:34:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two years ago Wanda & I were on Oahu for May Day, and it coincided with The Hawaiian Steel Guitar Association's annual gathering. We met several members at the Slack Key Sunday performance at the Marriot, where they were staying. Real nice folks. www.hsga.org
I think they meet in Chicago every year, also.One of the members we met was Lorene Rhymer, who wrote a very fine Steel Guitar instruction manual, which is used by UH for steel classes.It's a very intensive course, intended to require 2 years to complete, if I remember correctly.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2009 :  09:54:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What a nice time we had yesterday! The sound of traditional Hawaiian music wrapped around everyone on the lanai and spilled out into the street as we filled Pizza Bob's to capacity once again. People were even calling the restaurant from the road and asking "Who is playing that beautiful music? Can we get a table?". Although our turn out for musicians was smaller than expected this time, those who came had a wonderful time. You can see photos of the event posted by Michi Moore and Kathy Boast on our Facebook page.
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1240957559#/profile.php?id=1178596013&ref=profile
Musicians in attendance were:
Uncle Braddah (steel guitar)
Kalei Gamiao (ukulele)
Doug Fitch (slack key guitar)
Derek Higa (slack key guitar)
the Abrigo Ohana (ukuleles, slack key guitar, and pakini bass)
We had a lot of other wonderful people that came to enjoy the music too. It was really nice. Sadly, I didn't get the video I'd hope to, but Michi did (she's so wonderful). When she gets around to posting it, I'll let you know. She's one busy lady!
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2009 :  1:53:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's a video Michi loaded to Facebook. Timi's a little rusty on the ukulele, but he gets SO INSPIRED by Kalei. Oh, I love kanikapilas!
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/video/video.php?v=81417006605&ref=mf
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2009 :  01:08:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Y'all playing hillbilly music now! I think you are going to make Unko Paul & me very welcome when we come in August. Great film that Michi took. Very good quality film and the sound is really good, too. Kalei looked like he was having fun keeping up with Timi.

Tell me again how old is Timi?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2009 :  10:18:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha Wanda!

Hillbilly music ROCKS!!!! I was SO bummed that we didn't bring the banjo that day, that song sounds AWESOME on the banjo. I'm all excited that Kalei and Timi are getting to play together. They are both such nice young men, and Kalei is a wonderful influence on Timi. Here I go, tearing up again! You will really enjoy playing music with these guys when you come in August.

Yes, Michi is wonderful, and her video and photography quality is great. I'm so thankful that she came that day and put in all that work. She's really amazing, and I've so much respect for her. Did you see her photo album of the kanikapila? OH, it's beautiful how she caught everyone's expression! She and Kathy Boast took great photos, even of the food! Here's the links:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/album.php?aid=91409&id=669976605&ref=mf

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/album.php?aid=76463&id=507986817&ref=mf

I'm working on getting my better quality video camera usable so I too can put out decent quality stuff. Just waiting for that disc to come and I'll be good to go.

Uncle Braddah mentioned that the Steel Guitar Convention has a little kanikapila after the show. I'm checking into that now and will let everyone know when I have more info.

Forgot to mention before, the Abrigo Ohana is now playing live music every Tuesday evening at Pizza Bob's (same place we have the kanikapila). Tomorrow is daddy's surgery, so Kalei has graciously offered to fill in for them.

Timi turned 14 last month, and he is a big boy. He's been taller than me for a couple months now. Emily just turned 11 the day before the kanikapila. She's big too, same height as me already, but she wears a much bigger shoe! Thank goodness Quinn is still small enough to squeeze onto my lap, but I don't think he'll be able to much longer. Pretty soon it'll just be me and the cat.

Will post the date for the next kanikapila in the coming weeks!

A Hui Hou,
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 32 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000