Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 Kanikapila O'ahu
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 32

PearlCityBoy
Lokahi

USA
432 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2009 :  10:15:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lanet, mahalo for sharing the YouTubes. Now that's a kanikapila! I really loved watching Uncle Ron Kanahele get into the groove with his steel guitar--real old school. You guys must have attracted a crowd of on-lookers. How did you manage to get all that equipment set up in the park?

Aloha,
Doug

Edited by - PearlCityBoy on 06/22/2009 10:17:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2009 :  1:25:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PearlCityBoy

Lanet, mahalo for sharing the YouTubes. Now that's a kanikapila! I really loved watching Uncle Ron Kanahele get into the groove with his steel guitar--real old school. You guys must have attracted a crowd of on-lookers. How did you manage to get all that equipment set up in the park?

Aloha,
Doug

The equipment was all Derek's (Hookani) gear.

When I first heard Ron Kanahele I thought "hey, that guy sounds a lot like the guy from the Sons of Hawaii". Same licks and sound. I was talking to Macky and Uncle Braddah a little bit and turns out Ron Kanahele is David "Feet" Rogers cousin (i think...related somehow at least...) and also Uncle Braddah's teacher.

Lots of good musicians showed up as you can see from the videos. I only wish I could have stayed longer.

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2009 :  1:51:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Uncle Ron Kanahele was oh so good. WOW.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Hookani
Lokahi

232 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2009 :  2:23:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ron, Macky and Greg are friends of mine and I had been inviting them to previous kanikapilas but they were never able to make them but the stars aligned for this one and lucky for us they were all able to finally make it to this one. It was a fun day filled with talented musicians, so happy we had such a good response. Thanks to Zack's ohana for wanting to put this one on and to Braddah Duke for spearheading the organization.

Ho'okani

Ke Kani Nahe
YouTube

Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2009 :  2:42:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There goes Derek trying to deflect the credit.Derek not only supplied an awesome sound system with mixers,5 mics with stands,guitar cords etc......Braddah made choke email contacts, created & sent out maps,sent out reminders just before the event.He set up & put away all his equipment by himself too.Eh Braddah Derek big mahalos fo' all da contributions to a most successful event. You're one of the big reasons it felt like a top notch get together.

Hoof Hearted?...Was it you Stu Pedaso?
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2009 :  2:47:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by abrigoohana

At future kanikapilas, I will be asking each person individually if they would give permission to post.
quote:
Originally posted by guitarded

Whenever video is recorded at any of our pa'inas, I always ask permission before posting anyone's images to Youtube and there always seems to be one or a couple of people who have their own reasons for declining. You never know.

As someone who shares house with an individual who NEVER wants to be identifiable in video/audio clips or photos on the internet, I can understand the concern.

It has actually come to the point that she hesitates to attend some events, simply because she doesn't know who will post videos on YouTube or wherever; she considers it an invasion of privacy - though she knows no one ever intended it to be so.

But it's sad that such a long-standing tradition of music making runs the risk of being spoiled for her, simply due to this new opportunity to share media. With all the talk about "preserving tradition" in so many TP threads, the YouTube phenomenon is adversely affecting a particular tradition (backyard kanikapila) for a number of people.

Lanet & Ed - you guys are trying to do the right thing, and on behalf of those "camera shy" folks, I thank you. It's a good reminder for us all.

(As for myself - I have a big ego and no sense of shame. Film away, though you may not want to, once you hear me play...)
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2009 :  6:24:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eh, Ed. How come you neva trim da nose hairs on your glasses? Post-nasal drip must pose a real challenge.
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2009 :  6:27:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
It has actually come to the point that she hesitates to attend some events, simply because she doesn't know who will post videos on YouTube or wherever; she considers it an invasion of privacy - though she knows no one ever intended it to be so.

See, that's why I have to make sure I respect everyone's privacy. I would feel HORRIBLE if people didn't feel comfortable coming to events because they were camera (or internet) shy. Like I said, I usually ask, but I was feeling a little too much at home with everyone that day. Gotta be more careful, cause I love you all, and don't want to ruffle any feathers.

Mahalo, Lanet
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2009 :  6:36:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
There goes Derek trying to deflect the credit.Derek not only supplied an awesome sound system with mixers,5 mics with stands,guitar cords etc......Braddah made choke email contacts, created & sent out maps,sent out reminders just before the event.He set up & put away all his equipment by himself too.Eh Braddah Derek big mahalos fo' all da contributions to a most successful event. You're one of the big reasons it felt like a top notch get together.

quote:
Ron, Macky and Greg are friends of mine and I had been inviting them to previous kanikapilas but they were never able to make them but the stars aligned for this one and lucky for us they were all able to finally make it to this one. It was a fun day filled with talented musicians, so happy we had such a good response. Thanks to Zack's ohana for wanting to put this one on and to Braddah Duke for spearheading the organization.

You fellows (Derek, Duke, and Zack plus 'ohanas) all did an awesome job setting up, running, hosting, and feeding all of us at the kanikapila. You had to be there to appreciate how awesome the vibe was, very welcoming and loving. "Good times" as they say.

Mahalo,
Lanet and the Abrigo Ohana
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2009 :  8:01:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by guitarded

So are you saying that it would be okay for me to post those photos I have showing you pole dancing in public?

Okay by me. Probably not okay with anyone else who might view this forum. Might violate Photobucket protocol as well (you know all about that, don't you?)
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2009 :  12:36:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So we know when the next one is (July 5?... by some miracle, I will be able to attend :D ) when is the next next one?

Go to Top of Page

Hookani
Lokahi

232 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2009 :  08:25:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
So we know when the next one is (July 5?... by some miracle, I will be able to attend :D ) when is the next next one?

Well we know July 5th for sure at Ward Warehouse with the Abrigos. After that jus' clear your weekends between Aug 8 and 21 since Aunty Wanda will be in town and at least one major kanikapila will definitely be planned. No date or location set yet though, still in very early planning stages. Forget what date the Kihoalu festival will be on but obviously the kanikapila will not be on that day.

Ho'okani

Ho'okani

Ke Kani Nahe
YouTube

Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2009 :  09:35:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Well we know July 5th for sure at Ward Warehouse with the Abrigos. After that jus' clear your weekends between Aug 8 and 21 since Aunty Wanda will be in town and at least one major kanikapila will definitely be planned. No date or location set yet though, still in very early planning stages. Forget what date the Kihoalu festival will be on but obviously the kanikapila will not be on that day.

I'm trying to find out the date for the Honolulu Ki Ho'alu Festival. Anybody know when it will be? There will be another visitor to O'ahu that month. She arrives on August 1st, and departs on the 15th. It would be awesome if we could do the kanikapila while she is here as well.

Aloha,
Lanet and the Abrigo Ohana
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2009 :  09:45:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by abrigoohana

I'm trying to find out the date for the Honolulu Ki Ho'alu Festival. Anybody know when it will be?

Only info I can find says August 16. A couple websites have this listing:

August 16, 2009
Oahu Slack Key Guitar Festival
The 27th Annual "Oahu Style" Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar Festival will take place August 16, 2009, from 12 noon to 6:00 pm and admission is free. The 2008 festival took place in the Kapiolani Park Bandstand in the past the event has also taken place in the McCoy Pavilion at Ala Moana Park. The venue for 2009 Oahu Slack Key Guitar Festival has not yet been announced.
Go to Top of Page

Kawika96797
Akahai

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2009 :  10:57:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kawika96797's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hmm let's see...Wanda and Paul come in on Aug. 8th and leave on the 21st. The Slack Key fest is on the 16th. That leaves Sunday the 9th and Saturday the 15th

"I have no recollection of that"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 32 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000