Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 Kanikapila O'ahu
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 32

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2009 :  10:04:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, I could learn to "blur" faces on photos, but even if I knew how to do that on video, we would still be "hearing" the person play. What then? I just need to tell everyone I'll be videoing and photographing and they can let me know what they'd be comfortable with. After all, we all have times when we're not at our best, and wouldn't want to be photographed or videoed, right? You know, the "bad hair day" thing.

It's my privilege to be the photographer and videographer, but I would feel awful if it felt like a burden upon the people playing the music. I'm just going to keep it simple, and ask permission. That way everyone is comfortable and happy.

See you all on July 5th, Ward Warehouse!

Oh yeah, I also wanted to make sure everyone knows about tonight:

This week’s guests on Pakele Live! with Tony Solis are the ever-popular Abrigo Ohana (6 p.m.), and 2009 Na Hoku Hanohano Award nominee Kalei Gamiao (7 p.m.).

The Abrigo Ohana consists of Timi (age 14) on vocals, slack key guitar and ‘ukulele, Emily (age 11) on vocals and ‘ukulele, and Quinn (age 6) on pakini bass. These talented keiki are a hit wherever they perform, and their beyond-their-years-skills invoke a common refrain of: “They’re how old?” Influenced and inspired by guitar masters old and new, including Gabby Pahinui, Ledward Kaapana, George Kahumoku, Jr., Chino Montero and more, Timi continues to build upon his mastery of slack key guitar on a daily basis. Emily’s biggest inspiration is the late Aunty Genoa Keawe, who she considers the best vocalist in Hawaiian music. A self-taught leo ki’eki’e (falsetto) singer, Emily’s performances of classics such as “I Kona” and “Alika” are sure to bring chicken skin! Young Quinn plays the bass line for his brother and sister, and more recently has been known to add a few vocals to the mix.

Kalei Gamiao - who at the age of 20 released his debut album “Contemporary ‘Ukulele,” which garnered both a 2009 Na Hoku Hanohano Award nomination and a live performance at the awards ceremony - is another young musician who inspires awe in those hear him play, especially for the first time. I like to tell the story of his performance at a large outdoor concert some months ago, where hundreds of people had gathered and were talking, laughing, eating and having fun – and not necessarily paying close attention to the musicians onstage. However, when Kalei began to play solo, a noticeable quiet descended over the crowd as they stopped to listen to him share his phenomenal musical talents. A composer and arranger who writes much of his own material, Kalei’s talent is quickly being acknowledged not only by fans, but also by some of the greats in Hawaiian music and beyond – a true compliment to any musician.

Please join host Tony Solis for Pakele Live! this Thursday, June 25 from 6-8 p.m. HST at the Pakele Lounge in the Ala Moana Hotel (410 Atkinson Dr., Honolulu). It’s free, and free parking is available next door at Ala Moana shopping center. Drinks are available for purchase, but as I’ve mentioned previously, the hotel is no longer serving food.

You may also watch live online at: http://www.pakelelive.com/
Those in Japan can watch at: http://www.j-wave.co.jp/

(If you watch online, don’t forget to email the show at pakele @ lava.net to say hi and let us know you’re watching – and from what part of the world!)
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  10:13:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hear that the kanikapila at Ward Warehouse was pretty swell. Who has pictures or video? Or at least entertain us with stories.

And just think -- the next monthly kanikapila going to have two new attendees -- US! Woo-hoo.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  11:36:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha Taropatch Ohana,

I have some photos and video, just haven't had time to load it. Be patient, I'll get to it soon.

I'd REALLY like to thank the attendees. The turnout was great, and the music was AWESOME. Having you guys all there, and sharing your awesome talent is what makes it easier for me to find a "choice" spot for us to have the kanikapila. Sadly, it was shorter than I had been told it would be, and that was a HUGE bummer. We only got to play from 2 to 3, and it was just not enough time. I'm continuing to work for a more permanent location for the kanikapila, but I've got to find the "right" spot. I did talk Derek and Duke about it a little, and I'm so grateful for their feedback on it. There are a few good possibilities, just have to wait for confirmation.

I have been told that there is a kanikapila at Nico's at Pier 38 every Friday from 11 till about 2. Sounds like people take turns on stage, that's a little different than our circle style, but it sounds like fun and some really good musicians go down there. I have to work the next few Fridays, so we won't be able to go down there and check it out, but if any of you do, please fill us in!

AND, guess what I forgot to do after all that discussion about permission to upload videos??? Yup, I was so busy running around, I for got to ask! Now I got to view the video, see who's in it, and contact people... I cannot believe I let myself get so distracted that I didn't ask... what a dork! So if you were at the kanikapila, and don't mind my loading video of you, please post that here.

Much Much Mahalo,
Lanet and the Abrigo Ohana
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  01:27:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK, viewed the videos, and I'm pretty sure everyone that was in there will be OK with the videos being shared. Wish I had more, but I was running all over. Thank God for Big Tim, he shot most of these for us. He did a great job considering he was also manning the CD sales table and visiting with guests. Wasn't able to get every song, but he got 5, so not too shabby for his first time with the video!

http://www.youtube.com/abrigoohana

A Hui Hou,
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  10:51:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lanet - please let us know who every one is because I see some faces we do not know. For instance, who is singing along with Emily. A great job, as usual.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Doug Fitch
Akahai

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  12:26:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Doug Fitch's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Re blurred faces. Any blurred face is mine (I also don't show up in mirrors!).
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  10:05:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Doug, LOL!!! You are such a good nut!

Wanda,
Let's see, there was Uncle Matt Love (Nani - green aloha shirt), Ramone (Koali - yellow shirt), Master Doug Fitch (singing my favorite song that he wrote... still don't know the name of it - black shirt, purple guitar), Jonathan Castillo (coral colored shirt), Zack (on left of screen in a black shirt), Duke and Shawn (cruising in the back left just behind Zack), Derek (Ka Uluwehi O Ke Kai - royal blue shirt), Uncle Ronald Kanahele (in light blue shirt), Timi, Emily and Quinn (all in royal blue palaka), Jesse Gregorio (navy blue shirt playing bass, Jesse and Ramone play with Uncle Led), Elena Martinez (black mu'u mu'u, she's the Na Mele Nei Concert Series event coordinator), don't know the name of the Uncle in the navy blue palaka shirt playing ukulele (he came with Uncle Ron). Hope I didn't miss anyone... it was such a wonderful day.

I'm working on next months kanikapila. Going to shoot for August 9th or 15th. Got a special place in mind, will let everyone know as soon as I have it confirmed.

A Hui Hou,
Lanet
Go to Top of Page

Doug Fitch
Akahai

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  10:09:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Doug Fitch's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Lanet, thanks and I'm really glad you like my silly song. I call it "Falling for an Island Girl". Once I get it and some other new ones copyrighted, I'll be posting Youtube vids from the tv shows I've been doing.
See you soon!
Doug "Kahaolenohea"Fitch

Doug Fitch
fitchdoug @ yahoo.com
www.dougfitchmusic.com
http://youtube.com/user/dougfitchmusic
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  12:52:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
originally posted by doug fitch

Doug "Kahaolenohea"Fitch

Eh braddah Doug I get same kine Hawaiian middo name Kakanakanomohea, we must be calabash cousins!!!! The Brotherhood of the Chrome Domes Hawaiian Chapter "Da Boloheads"

Hey Lanet Uncle Ron's friend in the palaka print shirt is Tony.

Hoof Hearted?...Was it you Stu Pedaso?
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  3:25:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Howzabout almos bolohed? I like be auxliary chaptah.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  4:29:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eh we get apprenticeship Alaka'i program called "Side Bolos" Mainland peepos dey call 'um "Male Pattern Baldness"

Hoof Hearted?...Was it you Stu Pedaso?
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  6:47:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kahaolenohea and Kakanakanomohea LOL LOL LOL LOL OMG LOL LOL LOL! Too funny... thanks for the good laugh!

Yes Doug, I LOVE the song Falling For A Island Girl. I believe it's going to be your big hit. You OK with that video being up without the copyright all done? I can pull it and post it again later if you have concerns. Please let me know.

Mahalo,
Lanet
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2009 :  08:34:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sirduke58

Eh we get apprenticeship Alaka'i program called "Side Bolos" Mainland peepos dey call 'um "Male Pattern Baldness"

sign me up!!!

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2009 :  1:23:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by guitarded

I thought all you Seattle guys already belonged to one club called Da Loloheads?
I tried to promote myself as Ka Leo Kolohe a few years back...
quote:
Originally posted by abrigoohana

... Elena Martinez (black mu'u mu'u, she's the Na Mele Nei Concert Series event coordinator)
Ain't she a sweetheart? We used to be in regular communication a few years back, when I was producing Muzak's Hawaiian programming. I showed up to one of her Ward gigs a few years back, and came up to dance "`Ulupalakua" before she knew who I was. She's also involved in the Hawaiian Music Hall of Fame, and her husband is in the band Nā Hōkūpā.
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2009 :  5:00:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha Taropatch Ohana,

We're working on a kanikapila for next month. Will post it as soon as we have a spot and a date confirmed.

Much Mahalo,
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 32 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000