Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 Kanikapila O'ahu
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 32

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2009 :  05:15:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doug - you are bringing the wrong thing -- although I am sure chocolate chip cookies are swell -- bring Juli and Violet. Less calories that way. I'm sure Violet would have plenty kids to play with.

Gosh I am so excited I cannot wait. Only two weeks away. Bringing two digital cameras, one digital video flip camera and one film camera. That way I'll have enough pictures for scrapbooking to keep me through the cold Cleveland winters.

I cannot wait to see Duke and Jay. It has been almost 14 months since I have seen them. Good thing for phones and internet and You Tube.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2009 :  12:43:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
E Wanda it is good that you going hook up with da boloheads and everybody else. Nothing but good stuff when that occurs.Say hi to errybody fo me.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.

Edited by - noeau on 07/26/2009 12:43:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2009 :  12:52:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paul and I need to be schooled in how to behave at a kanikapila. How does it work? How eo you decide what songs to play and how do you decide who will play the lead guitar or who will sing or who will do the pa`ani? Do others chime in with the singing or one person sing only? If people sing with, do you wait for the one verse to be sung and then people join in on the second go round of the same verse? Do you go around the group and each person picks what song they want to do? Do you do "lessons" in the midst of the kanikapila to teach the others something they may not know how to do? Do you have song sheets if someone doesn't know all the words? Do you play from "He Mele Aloha"? I do not know how to behave with a lot of folks at the kanikapila. Last year it was just Jay, Duke and Paul playing music, so I did not have to worry about etiquette -- I just played with the kids, ate the great food, talked plenty story, sang along with the guys in between talking story and hugging the keiki.

Have I said yet how excited I am?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Hookani
Lokahi

232 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2009 :  1:14:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Depends how structured you want to be. With the monthly kanikapila that the Abrigos have hosted, we basically went around the circle and when it came to you, you either played a song or passed. Others is basically a free for all and once one guy is done, if you have a song let it be known. Some jams turn into one big medley going from song to song without stopping. Just tell everyone what key you're going to play in and jam on. There is no structure to what songs to sing, you just sing what you like sing.

Generally for Hawaiian songs, you usually let the lead sing the first time for the verse and then come in with harmony on the second time for the verse. Speaking for myself, I don't usually use sheet music but nothing wrong with using sheet music. Sheet music is not usually supplied since it's just a backyard jam and not a music class but if you have 'He Mele Aloha' your bases should be covered for lyrics but the key may be different depending on the singer.

The most IMPORTANT thing is just to relax and have fun which is what this thing is all about. Getting together with friends and family and sharing the music.

Looking forward to seeing you guys in a couple of weeks.

Aloha,
Ho'okani

Ke Kani Nahe
YouTube

Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2009 :  10:50:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha Taropatch Ohana!

Yup, we like the big circle because everyone can see each other and make eye contact. We try to bring the music book, but it's only useful for lyrics (as Uncle Derek said) as the key, is the KEY! LOL. Timi usually brings a guitar (or two) and an ukulele so he doesn't have to tune as much (he breaks a lot of strings retuning).

Kanikapila is such a wonderful experience for everyone. Some people are a little uncomfortable sharing at first, but over the course of a few turns around the circle, they realize they're among family and they let 'er rip. No one is judgmental or rude at these events. It's just such a warm and wonderful experience. It's very family friendly, and everyone is delightfully approachable.

As far as getting a little help with music things, I've seen Kalei lean over so Emily can see his hands really well so she can get the chords, and the other musicians do that too. It's TOTALLY unselfish, nothing competitive, very wonderful!

Now, I have some really awesome news. I say this on the verge of tears as I really feel like we've finally found our home. Beginning in September or October, we will be hosting a monthly kanikapila at beautiful Waimea Valley! They are really excited to have us all there, and we will be in a gorgeous, shady, cool pavilion with lots of elbow room, and plenty of free parking. There's a huge grassy area for the children to run and play, and the food at the plate lunch stand is really good. The staff embraced us with open arms. I cannot wait to tell you all about it. I will be working on a date for September, and it will be on a Sunday. If anyone will be visiting, please let me know the dates of your time on O'ahu so I can try to get it scheduled while you are here. Here's the link to Waimea Valley so you can check it out:

http://www.waimeavalley.net/default.aspx

We will be in the Pikake Pavillion. While we were there yesterday, the peacocks, peahens, and their chicks were walking all around us. It was cool and there was a beautiful light rain. It's going to be the perfect place for the kanikapilas. It will, as always, be FREE to attend the kanikapila.

With MUCH Aloha,
Lanet and the Abrigo Ohana
P.S. Shawn, please let me know if you'll be off work on any Sunday in September and we'll see if we can get that date. It's just not the same without you!
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2009 :  11:25:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations. That is a beautiful venue. My friend used to work at the park for many years and we used to go there a lot. It was a great place then with the native plant arboretum and hula hoʻike happening all the time. Another friend played in the restaurant for a while as well. The land there is very spiritual in nature and as a kid I swam at the pool and jumped from the second highest point for sport.

I hope this place works out since we coming in Feb for one month and would love to join you folks to play.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.

Edited by - noeau on 07/31/2009 11:27:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  2:56:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha Kakou,
Looks like I'll be there this weekend. I'm flying out in the AM and staying in Pupukea. Have guitar, will travel.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Hookani
Lokahi

232 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  3:50:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mika'ele,

Get in touch with either me or Duke (sirduke58) through the forum email for details on this weekend's kanikapila. Hope you can make it.

Aloha,
Ho'okani

Ke Kani Nahe
YouTube

Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  4:25:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ho'okani,
Duke has been sending me emails. I'm staying up in Pupukea. I just stopped by Ted's Bakery fo a couple of pies. Should I pick up more? I have my little KoAloha D-VI with me. Paul Okami just gave it a tune-up for me yesterday.
A Hui Hou,
Kapena Mika'ele

Go to Top of Page

Hookani
Lokahi

232 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  5:38:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oooo, Ted's Bakery. My mouth watering already. Couple pies should be o.k. Last time others brought desserts also. See ya on Sun.

Ho'okani

Ke Kani Nahe
YouTube

Go to Top of Page

PoiDog
Lokahi

245 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  11:18:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
X.....dat is two of my fingahs cross't!

Aloha,
da Poi Dog
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2009 :  11:13:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I was in heaven yesterday. Such talent; such food; such aloha. There were so many Taropatchers there, and so many other new friends. I will write more later, I put a dollar in the pay by the minute computer at the hotel.

One thing I can tell you. Duke has brought so many people together and the aloha flowing was beyond anything I can describe.

And Uncle Braddah -- you thought he could play sweet, sweet steel guitar, but that is only half of it. He sang He Punahele so sweet it made me cry. Fo real. I know Uncle Moe was looking down from heaven saying "Mai ka`i".

Times up. Bye,

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Kawika96797
Akahai

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  05:28:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kawika96797's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As Wanda posted earlier, the Kakaako Kanikapila was a great success. I had the good fortune to be able to enjoy the entire day with the gang, and what a great day it was. Mahalo plenty to Duke, Jay, Derek and their ohana. They provided much of the infrastructure (food and sound) required for the event. In spite of the threat of an impending storm, the weather was absolutely perfect. "Auntie Wanda" and "Uncle Paul" had a thoroughly good time and of course it was quite wonderful that so many of us could meet them and each other in person. I went holoholo to the hotel where Wanda and Paul are staying to set them up with a laptop. Unfortunately, the internet service in the room is very costly and quite frankly, I doubt if it is worth the added expense. But they will be using the laptop for saving their pictures and videos so they can share with us later.
In the meantime, you can see some video from the kanikapila at my YT account:

http://www.youtube.com/kawika96797

"I have no recollection of that"
Go to Top of Page

Kawika96797
Akahai

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  09:52:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kawika96797's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by guitarded

[quote]Originally posted by Kawika96797

Mahalo for sharing the videos and for including scenes with the keiki having good fun too. "Now let's go to the beach. It's been more than 10 minutes." We know who's da boss. LOL

Das daddy's only baby girl...I spoil her...and ainokea.

"I have no recollection of that"
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  4:50:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Uncle Bruddah,
Ditto on what Wanda said. Mahalo for backing me up on He Punahele No 'Oe -- so nahenahe!

Duke,
Mahalo nui loa for helping organize the kanikapila. Such aloha and manao. I learned alot.

Lanet,
I heard the crew on AM940 this morning talking about your ohana playing at Waimea this weekend. They had nice words for all three of your keiki. Mahalo Nui kakou.

PoiDog, Doug, Wanda, Paul, Peter, and the others I am missing -- mahalo to you for your welcome and helping this mainland kama'aina feel at home.

PS: I still have some Macadamia Nut Creme pie left. Gotta eat it all before Friday AM.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 32 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000