Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 Kanikapila O'ahu
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 32

PoiDog
Lokahi

245 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  9:16:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mahalo to my TP `ohana for making me feel right at home on Sunday. It was a bit of a time for me to let my thoughts get re-directed, even if only for a little while. My reason for coming to Honolulu was to visit my brother, who is fighting cancer, and he took a downward turn on Saturday, just as I arrived. The few hours at Kaka`ako were a welcomed respite from the stress over at Kaiser. Mahalo to all who made it happen.

Aloha,
da Poi Dog
Go to Top of Page

sob
Akahai

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2009 :  06:56:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit sob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha TaroPatchers!
Last night at my regular gig with Weldon Kekauoha and Alika Boy Kalauli IV at the Kani Ka Pila Grille at the Outrigger Reef, I got to meet Aunty Wanda and Uncle Paul. As we were setting up, she came up to us and said "I know who you are" and began to name us. (she said she recognized us from YOUTUBE. LOL!) She introduced herself and Uncle Paul and said that they're from OHIO and that she's on her "Hele Mele". She planned her vacation around the Hawaiian Music that she wanted to hear. We chatted a bit on our break and she told me about the Kanikapila (Lynn Piccoli also told me about it) and what a wonderful time she had. She was so touched by the Aloha spirit shared by all. I told her that the Aloha Spirit is REAL and tangible. I was so happy for her. It seems like a great event and I hope to make it out to this wonderful event one of these day's!
Ke akua pu,
Bryan Tolentino
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2009 :  09:42:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kden,
John we go pray for your brudda, he is in my thoughts. Bryan why you neva go ax me if get won jam wid da Bolohead Bruddas wen I wen see you laz time at Easy Music. I woulda tole you go come. Az iz waz da bomb! Da day waz unreel. Blue skies, slight offshore wind da waves waz up. Point Panic waz ninety feet and glassy. Nah, nah nah. Hadabout 30 oa 40 guyz fo jam oa go look anden. Sorry Aunty Wanda, but da food waz fo die foa an had plany. I guess mos guyz neva check in yet on Sunday's Jam coz had to go prepare in case Felicia came. Da lack of detail oni means we waz busy just in case da storm. Wen turn out da storm died out yestaday.

Chai wait. i steel werking on my spalling.

Edited by - Peter Medeiros on 08/12/2009 12:55:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

sob
Akahai

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2009 :  5:39:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit sob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Auwe Peter! If I had known...So when's next?
BTW, book out yet?
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2009 :  5:45:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It was an AWESOME kanikapila! We so much enjoyed being there with everyone. A BIG HUGE MAHALO goes out to Uncle Duke, Uncle Jay, and Uncle Derek for all their hard work. We love you guys so much!

A Hui Hou,
the Abrigo Ohana
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2009 :  08:27:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Everybody sing happy birthday to Quinn today! 7 going on 70, LOL!
Go to Top of Page

PoiDog
Lokahi

245 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2009 :  09:43:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy Birthday!

Seven? Ouch!

Aloha,
da Poi Dog
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2009 :  10:40:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kden Bryan,

Coz I neva see you longtime until laz mont, dis is da scoops so wen you go rite yoa uke book at leest you get a little information. Dis book “Hawaiian Slack Key: A Lifetime Study Volume 1 - Methodology” waz supposed to be pau long time ago but I got reel reel sick, dakine almos die kine. Anywayz, az of today, alla da copyright werk iz pau and in to da copyright office. Da book files stay at da printas. Fo distribution we gotta forward da ISBN numba anda barcode to dem so dey can putem onda book lidat, yeah, so wen dey go take won toot itz official. You know you go bar nowadays, not oni you gotta get ID, but you gotta get won code so you can drink.

Dafirz book stay kinda tick lidat, itz like 289 pages, get eleven chaptas, so I gotta get da actual dimensions fo da spine fo make da cova mobetta. Gotta be jez rite coz dey use won piece pepa fo da front cova, den da spine part, anden da back cova. Had to redesign da cova won time already canna put solid kalas out to da edge coz a da process dey stay usin. If da kalas run to da edge az wot dey call bleed. Kenna bleed in udda werds, if bleed, you die wen you see da cost.

We not gonna be making too much money on dis, but at lees you will unnastand slack key from my point of view – traditional. I wen do like about tree dozen quotes lidat, regala printing press way to expensive fo won small run. Coz a da cost, we wen go wid da digital process (jalike Kinkos but not quite az expansive) coz waz mo cheep den da fo reel printing press. Not az cheep az we hoped but we can affordem. But if was dakine regala printing press da cost to print won book would be ova $104 lidat; bumbye kenna buy da book lidat coz cost to much. Hopefully, we goin get da final test copy maybe next week. If its okay den we go pudem out enda da dis mont oa Septemba. Da book goin cost $39 lidat anden you gotta add da shipping. Da bea iz extra.

Go buy da book itz good coz I wen ritem and coz I need da money, and coz dis iz hahd times, and coz I know dat I know dat I’m good, and coz da research iz mobetta den anyting at dis point in time. We go callem won study. You go try watch from dis time on erybody going go ax wot iz leading tones? Anden go try watch how many guyz gonna try and coat tail on dis won.
Go to Top of Page

Hookani
Lokahi

232 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2009 :  11:33:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Peter,

Ever thought about doing a digital distribution of your book? No need printing costs or shipping costs, just load 'em on to a website and people buy 'em and then download 'em instantly. Also get other services like lulu.com where you can print on demand so if someone really wants a hard copy they can go to this site, order 'em and they print a copy and send it to them. No minimum orders or stuff like that.

Ho'okani

Ke Kani Nahe
YouTube

Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2009 :  12:55:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hookani

Hey Peter,

Ever thought about doing a digital distribution of your book? No need printing costs or shipping costs, just load 'em on to a website and people buy 'em and then download 'em instantly. Also get other services like lulu.com where you can print on demand so if someone really wants a hard copy they can go to this site, order 'em and they print a copy and send it to them. No minimum orders or stuff like that.

Ho'okani

Howzit Derek,

Yeah, I took a good look at these kinds of options, because they present opportunities to self publish with a minimum amount of cash outlay. However, when you examine the contracts there are adhesion clauses that are to the detriment of the author and or publishing company. Although it is easier to get into the distribution chain this way, getting out of the exclusive arrangement may cost more than you may actually save. For some people this is a way to get your foot in the door. For others like us, it is best to retain distribution rights and therefore earnings right from the start.

For instance if online sales through your own website are the primary means of product sales for your business you should not give up, if you don’t have to, distribution rights. The reason for this is that any other site that sells your product is still a competitor and there is nothing to keep them from undercutting your price and taking away potential sales. Sure they may pay you the wholesale price and sell your product, but the profit margins on books are fairly low, and the costs are high on limited runs of product, even one offs. So some companies (I cannot mention names) that offer these kinds of services may end up being your competitors and this may have an adverse effect upon the online sales of your business. In other words you really have to read the contracts thoroughly and ask a lot of questions. One of our really good young artists went with a similar arrangement on CD distribution and their online sales just got killed. His father informed me never again.

This arrangement works for some people, but not for me.

Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2009 :  5:17:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha Taropatch 'Ohana!

We are working towards the first Kanikapila at Waimea Valley to be on September 20th, and from there on out, every third Sunday of the month. We haven't finalized everything yet, but I wanted to give you guys the date we're shooting for. Waimea Valley has been really working hard to get the kanikapila going. Everything must be written up in a proposal, submitted, and approved by OHA. There are a few steps to this process, and everything is moving right along. Just got word yesterday that we reached another milestone in bringing it to reality. Will keep you all posted on the progress as I get updates.

With Much Aloha,
Lanet and the Abrigo Ohana
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2009 :  08:20:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Auntie and Uncle are home in Cleveland. Landing was just as we expected....gray, gray, gray. Rain and wet runways. Freezing outside at the curb in shorts while waiting for Paul to get the truck to bring us home.

Ah, but what a vacation it was. How sad I was to leave Jay and his family and Duke and his family and Kawika and his family and Derek and Shawn and Jonathan and Terry and the Abrigo `Ohana, and Bla & Kathleen and Cyril and Chelle and Peter and Uncle Braddah and Analu Aina and Mike Kaawa and Unko Ron with the sweet steel guitar,,,,and on and on and on. Being a tourist the first few times in Hawai`i was amazing for Paul and I but words cannot describe the difference when you have `ohana waiting for you there. No matter if they are my hanai families. Now I know the deep heartache felt when you who are from the island come home for a visit and then have to leave to go back to the mainland. If I went by my heart instead of my head, I would be camping out in Duke or Jay's living room. Or maybe Terry would rent us the back room at his studio.

The kanikapila at Kaka`ako was beyond any experience I have ever had. Seeing the joy on my husband's face as he had chance to play Hawaiian music all day long was priceless. And being able to hug and kiss so many people who I knew only by virtue of this forum or by virtue of You Tube was amazing. Duke and Jay and Derek and Shawn and Lanet and I am sure countless others were able to make the kanikapila of aloha. This showned not only aloha for the music, but aloha for each other. I am not kidding you when I say that just thinking about that feeling is starting me once again to become misty-eyed.

PoiDog - I am so touched that you came to share some time with us while your brother is so ill. You know you and your family are in our thoughts and prayers. I was so excited to meet you.

And Peter -- do you know how trembling my knees got when I was introduced to him? Hearing him sing `Ulili E was one of the best ways for me to put a memory in my heart and mind and carry Hawai`i home with me. And now you will know that Prof. Petah correctly annointed me Pordagee last year, because did I vido him singing it? No. I was sitting there with the camera in my hand, just smiling and enjoying the great guitar and singing. Most of the videos I took are not complete songs. I have snippets of this and snippets of that. And some are really messed up because I would forget about the video camera and I would start singing along with the rest of the guys and I was holding the camera so my voice singing drowned out just about anything else, and if you heard my off key voice singing Koke`e instead of Braddah Jay and the rest of the guys, you would definitely give me stink eye. It is going to take me some time to fool around with the vedeos to get them up on You Tube and to go through the nearly 1,000 pictures I took. Some vids and pictures, I have to send to Duke to see who was who because I guess having a mini-stroke before going did not enhance my less than perfect memory anyway. And I hope that Kawika, who was so kind and sweet to let us use a laptop, will help us with his video making expertise and help us turn a mishmash of pictures and videos and sound into something to help the rest of you experience the aloha we felt.

I'm due for surgery next Monday, so I'll work on it as much as I can this week.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2009 :  2:52:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Time li'dis - good t'ing Wanda Potagee, yeah?
Go to Top of Page

Hookani
Lokahi

232 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2009 :  3:47:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Howz it Wanda,

It was soooo nice to meet you in person and happy that you had a wonderful time. I bet you got your fill of hawaiian music and kanikapila. I had a good time getting together with you and Paul and jamming some music. Too bad you guys couldn't stay longer. I hope you will be able to make it back soon. Hope all goes well with your surgery and keep in touch. You have my email and Jay has my number if you need it. Miss ya and malama pono.

Aloha,
Ho'okani

Ke Kani Nahe
YouTube

Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2009 :  4:10:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even one Designated Honorary Potagee Princess can't convey in print all the aloha we felt the past 2 weeks. We both went wai maka at the thought of leaving. Best to buy some kleenex stock, it's gonna bounce back from the repression faster than the Dow Jonses. The video from our end is gonna be spotty at best, I don't know how the camera works, and too busy with the guitar to look at it. We filmed a duet of Doug Fitch & myself playing Hula O Makee at Kapiolani Park, but used the still camera and forgot to turn on the audio. So we got one silent movie.Bummer.Maybe we try again next time.
Our early trips showed us some of the beauty of Hawai`i,but it took meeting so many good friends to show us the magic of Hawai`i. It's harder to leave every year. As for getting my fill of Hawaiian music, "Drink deep, or taste not." I can't wait to get back for more. Our Halau should be opening soon, I'll have to try to learn the pronounciation and phrasing better. Got lots to work on. Still trying to sort out what Duke showed me about 3 different C tunings last Thursday. I think I get 'em mixed all up!
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/10400.html
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello

Edited by - rendesvous1840 on 08/24/2009 4:12:27 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 32 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000