Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 Kanikapila O'ahu
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 32

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2009 :  6:50:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Auntie Wanda and Uncle Paul,

We had such a wonderful time with you folks. It gave us some great opportunities to get together with Uncle Duke them too. My heart is still singing that Jambalaya song Uncle Paul sings so well.

Please keep us posted on your surgery. We will all be thinking of you and Uncle Paul with warm aloha!

A Hui Hou,
Lanet
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2009 :  8:07:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote

It is our pleasure to announce that the Waimea Valley Kanikapila is on! We hope that everyone will attend the event on September 20th, and ongoing from there on the third Sunday of each month. The grounds are beautiful, and everyone is welcome to come out and play music, or just come out and listen.

Food and beverages will need to be purchased on the premises. There is a little plate lunch place with really good food. Here's a link to the menu: http://www.waimeavalley.net/menus.aspx Please feel free to check out our new Kanikipila home too: http://www.waimeavalley.net/facility_rentals.aspx

With Much Aloha,
The Abrigo 'Ohana
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2009 :  10:34:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You will love Waimea Valley when you have the kanikapila there. It is a wonderful place -- beautiful, peaceful, powerful. This was one of the original ahupua`a of O`ahu and had three heiau -- it was major sacred ground. If you go there fore the first time, please avail yourself of the guided walks with a historical guide. You will learn much, so much that I am sure you will want to do further reading and research.

http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/ll227/mawcerto/

Here is a link to our photobuck account which has pictures from the various music happenings while we were there - the Kaka`ako kanikapila, the Slack Key Festival, the various folks who played at Kani Ka Pila Grill, and lots of pictures of Waimea Valley.

Some handsome pictures of Duke and Day and Derek and Jonathan and Uncle Braddah an Shawn and Terry, and on and on and on. Some pictures of aloha, if you ask me.

Thank you all for treating us so well and making this a vacation that we shall never forget. OK, I am ready to come back. Too bad my pocketbook is not yet ready.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  11:49:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear the Waimea valley thing worked out. That place get big mana. So da music going be good. Glad to hear that Wanda dem had such a good time. When we return this feb. Weʻl see you all again.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  12:27:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What time should we plan to get there??

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  05:55:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fran - are you going to visit O`ahu? Wow, the fun you can have! Plus you canhold your own with these wonderful musicians.

You guys should go to the Waimea Valley web site that Lanet listed above. Check out the history of the area. Read what has happened to the land since the Great Mahele.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  07:39:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm there, sister. Already had a kimchee burger at Big City Diner, started making the hookup with Duke, picked up my guitar from my buddy, got a start on a sunburn. Sorry our timing was off, it would have been great to see you and Paul again.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Hookani
Lokahi

232 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  08:16:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Fran,

Cool that you are going to make the Waimea Kani. Look forward to meeting you in person. If I'm not mistaken the Kani will start at 1:00 and end at 4:00.

Ho'okani

Ke Kani Nahe
YouTube

Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  12:42:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hookani

Hey Fran,

Cool that you are going to make the Waimea Kani. Look forward to meeting you in person. If I'm not mistaken the Kani will start at 1:00 and end at 4:00.

Ho'okani

Me too.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2009 :  07:45:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys, see you there.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2009 :  09:00:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha,

The Waimea Valley Kanikapila will be from 1 to 4 p.m. The sound check will begin around noonish. Everyone will be happily and lovingly greeted by the Waimea Valley staff. You will sign in to the guest book, and you will be asked to sign a short waiver. Here's the waiver so you all can make sure you're cool with it. Nothing in there about music, or music rights, just liability kine stuffs:

Activity Registration and Release and Waiver of Liability

Activity: Participation in Kanikapila – a gathering of musicians in the Pikake Pavilion to watch, play or sing traditional Hawaiian music.

Date: _____________________

Waiver and Release of Liability:

I understand, acknowledge and agree that I am participating in the Activity (whether as a musician, spectator , photographer or other participant or volunteer) voluntarily and entirely at my own risk. I agree to abide by all rules, guidelines and policies of Hi`ipaka LLC applicable to this Activity. I hereby assume sole risk of and responsibility for any personal injury, disease, property damage, theft or other loss of any kind that may result from my entry into Waimea Valley and participation in the Activity. Without limiting the foregoing, I acknowledge that the Activity will take place in the natural environment of Waimea Valley, and that I may be situated on terrain and in areas that may be unstable, uneven, overgrown or unsafe, or prone to heavy rains, flooding, rock fall and other natural occurrences, and I voluntarily undertake the Activity knowing the risks of injury, disease or damage from these and other causes. I hereby represent to Hi`ipaka that I do not have any medical or other condition that would make it difficult for me to participate in the Activity without injuring myself or others. On behalf of myself, my personal representative and heirs, I hereby release and agree to defend, hold harmless and indemnify Hi`ipaka, LLC, Hi`ilei Aloha LLC, the Office of Hawaiian Affairs, and their respective managers, members, trustees, employees, agents representatives, contractors, volunteers and insurers (collectively, “Hi`ipaka Related Parties”) from and with respect to any and all liability and claims of any nature for any and all loss, injury, or damage arising from or relating to my participation in the Activity described above, and hereby waive all claims, demands, causes of action, actions and proceedings of any kind that might otherwise be brought against the Hi`ipaka Related parties with respect to any such loss, injury or damage. My agreements herein are given in consideration of being permitted to participate in the Activity.

Then grab yourself a drink from the Waimea Valley Grill and have a seat! It's going to be wonderful, see you there!
Go to Top of Page

Doug Fitch
Akahai

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2009 :  12:31:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Doug Fitch's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mama Abrigo! I appreciate all you do! I also thank the Waimea folks for letting us jam up there. Also, thanks to both for posting the necessary legal stuff. We all need to respect and sign and be gracious guests. Mahalo.

Having said that, I officially declare open season for the humorists among the taropatch 'ohana to start taking jabs at the above legalese. Please nothing offensive, I just love to poke fun at lawyers is all! ;)
Note that, though Waimea "may be unstable, uneven, overgrown or unsafe", the same can be said for yours truly.
Doug
Go to Top of Page

strumbum
Aloha

4 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2009 :  4:28:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I am!

I guess I will watch the taropatch to see what comes up

Go to Top of Page

kahili
Aloha

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2009 :  8:38:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha Kakou
I want to send a big mahalo nui loa to makuahine Lanet for setting Waimea Valley up for all of us. Also Derek "Ho'okani" and makuakane Timi for working the sound system.
The Waimea site is perfect for the kanikapila. Lots of room for musicians and other guests. The staff members were very helpful. Mai ka'i loa.
We had some new and not so new taro patchers, and lots and lots of music. Looking foward to the next one 10/18/09.

Uncle Braddah
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2009 :  05:52:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wish I coulda been there again

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 32 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000