Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 Kanikapila O'ahu
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 32

808robertr
Akahai

72 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2009 :  06:18:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit 808robertr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Although I wanted to make it, I had 2 previous commitments. Hopefully, if the planets are aligned, I will be at the next one...Mahalo to all who help pull these off.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2009 :  06:56:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you want to see videos/partial videos of stuff I took at the August Kaka`ako kanikapila, the one we had the next Saturday and also of the Slack Key Festival, can go to my Flip camera channel and view them. I have found the picture quality to be far superior to You Tube (sound, too), and Lord knows, my videography skills need all the help they can get.

You can access the videos at: http://www.flipshare.com/Login.aspx

My e-mail,is: wcerto @ adelphia.net . The password to use to log in to my channel at the Flip website is: dakine

If you look at these you will see Duke, Jay, Ho`okani, sm80808, the Abrigo `Ohana, ukulele911, Justin Alderfer, Keoni, Jonathan Castillo, Uncle Braddah, Ron Kanehele, Mika`ele (with pie in his hands), Kamaka Fernandez, Ozzie, Danny Carvalho, Bobby Moderow Doug Fitch even a glimpse of da PoiDog.

Man, some kanikapila we had.

I sure would like to see any videos of the Waimea Valley kanikapila. Thanks for your hard work and love for the music all you guys.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2009 :  07:14:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great vids Auntie! Mahalo for sharing.

Lee
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2009 :  10:26:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Waimea valley is looking as beautiful as ever under its new stewardship, and judging by the audience that gathered there is still a big appetite for traditional Hawaiian music played kanikapila style. Emily's falsetto especially brought the listeners from all across the valley.

Thanks to the Waimea Valley folks and Abrigo Ohana for bringing this event to life. And mahalo to all the players who brought the music to life, it was a pleasure and an honor to play with you.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Edited by - Fran Guidry on 09/21/2009 10:27:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2009 :  12:22:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ALOHA!

What a wonderful kanikapila we had at Waimea Valley yesterday! Mahalo to all of you who made it out and shared your music with us. Also, mahalo to the staff of Waimea Valley who took such good care of us, and even joined in the music. Special thanks to Derek for bringing the sound system, and also to Hanale for teaching us how to make it sound SOOOOOO beautiful!

It was a day full of beautiful mele, smiling faces, and much ALOHA. I am uploading videos to our You Tube page right now. Please feel free to go check them out. http://www.youtube.com/user/abrigoohana I think one has loaded so far, and I have about 5 total of the kanikapila.

Really looking forward to next month! Mark your calendars, October 18th, 2009, Waimea Valley KANIAKPILA!

Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2009 :  08:41:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha Taropatch 'Ohana!

The Waimea Valley Kanikapila was just lovely! I've already heard from the staff that they are excited about next month, and working on things to make it even better. A snack bar close to the musicians is one of the things on the list, as well as a water cooler near us so we can refill our water bottles. AND, we're working on getting a "special" menu item just for Kanikapila days. OH yeah, you're gonna LOVE it! Looking forward to seeing you all next month!

A Hui Hou,
Lanet and the Abrigo 'Ohana
Go to Top of Page

les_maverick
Lokahi

USA
238 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2009 :  05:44:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit les_maverick's Homepage  Send les_maverick an AOL message  Send les_maverick a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Shootiz we are leaving Oahu for Maui on 10/16.
I wish I could have attended...
Go to Top of Page

PoiDog
Lokahi

245 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2009 :  07:16:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by les_maverick

Shootiz we are leaving Oahu for Maui on 10/16.
I wish I could have attended...

E Les,

Nothing structured AFAIK for ki ho `alu since George K isn't doing his series anymore. Kevin Brown was at Uni San in Wailuku, but I don't know if that's still on. BUT...I just got this from a friend yesterday. Dates and times vary, but on several mornings a week, Pekelo Cosma and Keli`i Mawae have been getting together and just hanging out and playing. It's out in the open, in front of Starbucks at the Queen Ka`aumanu Center. Haven't checked it out in person yet, but I'm headed down the hill later today. I've seen Keli`i there alone a few times.

Aloha,
da Poi Dog
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2009 :  1:22:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PoiDog

... since George K isn't doing his series anymore.
This had me a little panicked when I saw it, so I want to clarify for anyone else that might have a similar reaction: the series is just on a break for the first time in six years, and will resume on Dec. 30. Whew!
Go to Top of Page

PoiDog
Lokahi

245 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2009 :  08:18:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Retro

quote:
Originally posted by PoiDog

... since George K isn't doing his series anymore.
This had me a little panicked when I saw it, so I want to clarify for anyone else that might have a similar reaction: the series is just on a break for the first time in six years, and will resume on Dec. 30. Whew!

Yeah, yeah; Sorry...George and crew only on one break.

BTW...da hokus ste line-up again. Mebbe da PoiDog can forage fo some kani in da Waimea Valley area! I goin try get my bruddah out of da house and mebbe that is one good outing.

Aloha,
da Poi Dog

Edited by - PoiDog on 10/12/2009 08:33:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

Hookani
Lokahi

232 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2009 :  09:37:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Poi Dog, we going be up there this Sun. 10/18. Hope you'll be able to make it. It's a great relaxing venue to play in. I'm sure Lanet will be in here soon with the details.

Ho'okani

Ke Kani Nahe
YouTube

Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2009 :  12:06:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha Taropatch 'Ohana,

It's time for the Waimea Valley Kanikapila again! Last month was so much fun, we hope you all will come back again and join us this Sunday from 1 to 4 p.m. Sound checks will start around noonish. Don't forget to bring your friends and family, there's PLENTY of room.

This month, Waimea Valley is adding a concession stand right there in the Pikake Pavilion for our convenience. There will also be an ice water dispenser in our area, so you may either purchase a water bottle there and refill it, or bring your own from home.

See you there!

A Hui Hou,
Lanet and the Abrigo 'Ohana
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2009 :  11:04:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha Taropatch 'Ohana,

It was another beautiful kanikapila at Waimea Valley. Mahalo PLENTY to everyone who participated. Here's the video links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax4ocBFiuDw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4x4fX2HnKI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTR6lP1CAAM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7l8DX7eEcg

Already found out we will have some wonderful guests next month, so put it on your calendar: November 15th, 2009 - Waimea Valley - KANIKAPILA!
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymom
Aloha

6 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2009 :  06:52:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see nothing has been posted about a kanikapila for awhile. Let's get it going. Anyone interested?

Kendyl
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  11:40:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha Taropatch Ohana!

Next week Sunday is another Waimea Valley Kanikapila! Please invite your friends and family. As always, the kanikapila is for all ages and skill levels. Please come and share with us:

Waimea Valley Kanikapila at Pikake Pavilion. Please join us every third Sunday of each month. This event is FREE, and open to the public.
A Kanikapila is a traditional Hawaiian music jam session. The purpose of the event is to perpetuate the mele (music), and the tradition in which it was passed on from generation to generation. All ages and skill levels are welcome. There will also be seating for guests who would like to just come and enjoy listening to the music. We will have amplification, so bring your instrument cable if you would like to plug in. Sound check will begin around noon, with the kanikapila starting at 1 p.m. and going until 4 p.m.
Food and beverages are available just a few yards from the Pikake Pavilion, at the Waimea Valley Grill. No outside food or beverages please.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 32 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000