Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 Kanikapila O'ahu
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 32

slackkeymom
Aloha

6 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  07:27:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes we live on the north shore and will be there for sure. Thank you!

Kendyl
Go to Top of Page

Hookani
Lokahi

232 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  07:46:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey slackkeymom,

was just watching your videos da other day and was thinking that you should come to the kanikapila. See you there.

Ho'okani

Ke Kani Nahe
YouTube

Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  5:14:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey y'all,
I'll be back on Oahu at the end of November. Any kanikapila planned for then?
Kenyl,
It would be good to hear you again.
Mike

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Hookani
Lokahi

232 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  7:52:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Mike,

What dates you gonna be here? We can always plan one.

Ho'okani

Ke Kani Nahe
YouTube

Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2009 :  1:43:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll send you a PM

Go to Top of Page

Hookani
Lokahi

232 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2009 :  4:36:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got word that the kanikapila at Waimea on 11/15 is canceled due to flooding.

Ho'okani

Ke Kani Nahe
YouTube

Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2009 :  7:07:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha,

Yes, Ho'okani is right, Waimea Valley is closed due to flooding. They worked hard all day to clear out water and debris in hopes of being open for us tomorrow; sadly, it just wasn't enough. The parking lot is a big pond, and there is a lot of debris that needs to be cleared out. We are so thankful for all the staff's efforts, and look forward to being back next month in full force.

Much Mahalo,
Lanet
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  07:34:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slipry1 and I hope to be at the January Kanikapila.
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  10:42:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thumbstruck

Slipry1 and I hope to be at the January Kanikapila.

Hope my a**! Only a major disater 'll keep me away!

keaka
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2009 :  06:55:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha Taropatch Ohana!

Got some really AWESOME news... We just got approved for the Waimea Valley Kanikapila to continue on for the entire year of 2010! Here's the dates, please mark your calendars:

1/17
2/21
3/21
4/18
5/16
6/20 (Father’s Day)
7/18
8/14**This kanikapila will fall on a SATURDAY to help celebrate Pulama O Waimea
9/19
10/17
11/21**This kanikapila falls on a date that incorporates the makahiki
12/19

See you tomorrow!

Aloha,
the Abrigo Ohana
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2009 :  06:58:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Hope my a**! Only a major disater 'll keep me away!
SOOOO excited you'll be there! I promise you'll have a wonderful time.

~Lanet
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2009 :  07:19:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha,

For those of you slack key players that plan to attend the kanikapilas, SirDuke posted a really neat help page under the "slackkey" topic of this site. Here's the opening post, if you find it helpful, go checkout that thread:
quote:
The Magical Kanikapila Capo

Last Sunday Nov. 29th at our Kanikapila on Red Hill I was looking around at the circle of musicians
in attendance. 2 of them in particular who coincidently were women, namely Carmel & Kendyl(Both are TP members) were both quite often lost when trying to accompany whoever had the lead for a particular song.Both
women are usually only comfortable in Taropatch when slacked in addition to standard tuning.
Normally at kanikapilas, whose ever turn it is to lead announces what key the song will be played in
to help others figure out how they will accompany the lead.

I can totally relate to that lost feeling Carmel & Kendyl felt because I experienced the same thing
when I played at an Abrigo kanikapila at Pizza Bob's in Haleiwa way back when.Songs in the key
of Gmaj & Cmaj were no problem I could stay slacked in Taropatch & Drop C which meant all my
chops in Taropatch & Drop C were available to me to pa'ani or just add a little color... Now here's
the problem.....Song leaders started doing songs in A or F or D or Bb and everthing in between!!!I
got so frustrated & defeated that I gave in and tuned my guitar to "Tight Key" (E-A-D-G-B-E) and I
became a banana rhythm strummer in that muffled standard tuning. Your guitar doesn't resonate
as much in standard as it does in slack.

Now I'm more comfortable accompanying is most keys and all it took is a "Magical Kanikapila
Capo" & sliding back & forth between Taropatch & Drop C. Here are a few examples to help you
along when you're at your next kanikapila............The following are common keys you'll encounter.

Played in key of.................................Tuning....................................Capo fret #

Amaj.................................................Taropatch....................................2nd
Bb.....................................................Taropatch...................................3rd
Cmaj..............(To add color)................Taropatch...................................5th
Dmaj..................................................Drop C.......................................2nd
Dmaj...........(*Possible but junk)...........Taropatch...................................7th
* Junk because it takes away too many frets and shortens your guitar not to mention the sustain
Emaj..................................................Drop C........................................4th
Fmaj...................................................Drop C........................................5th

Note: Any slack C tuning can be used in place of Drop C, however for Drop C only 1 string needs to be
retuned when you slide back & forth between it & Taropatch. The last thing you want to do is spend most of your time at the kanikapila retuning

Simple concept just think of the 1st fret after your capo as the 1st fret when you guitar is not capoed.
Use all the same chord shapes, positions and chops.......Being that until recently I had seldom
played.with other musicians this concept may have been common knowledge to the kanikapila vets
but it's only recently acquired knowledge to me.

Another kanikapila tip I have courtesy of Ozzie Kotani is about the art of accompaniment during
kanikapilas. When another player has a "Pa'ani" you do not want to be in the same position or
neighborhood where the "Pa'ani" is being executed. For instance,if a solo is being played in the 1st
position a conscientious accompanier will play in the 2nd or 3rd position so as not to "Crowd" the
soloist and cloudy up what that person is doing. It also compliments the soloist much better.

Hope all this helps players participate much more often. Being a wallflower at a kanikapila sucks
bigtime compared to being a part of it all.............

We're very fortunate to have SirDuke at most of our kanikapilas. He welcomes the opportunity to help everyone that has questions. Just look for this guy: LOL! Love you Uncle Duke!

Mahalo, Lanet
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2009 :  1:26:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll ditto what you said on Duke -- a heck of a guy!

Edited by - Mika ele on 12/21/2009 1:26:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2009 :  10:22:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iʻll be there in Feb.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.

Edited by - noeau on 12/21/2009 10:22:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

Hookani
Lokahi

232 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2009 :  08:57:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Al,

What dates you going be here so we can start planning some kanis.

Ho'okani

Ke Kani Nahe
YouTube

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 32 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000