Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 Kanikapila O'ahu
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 32

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2011 :  8:32:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
View the Waimea Valley Kanikapila - November, 2011 production for Olelo TV on our Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/abrigoohana#p/u/18/yyHmH4XIrdg

Join us for our final Waimea Valley Kanikapila 2011 this Sunday, December 18th, from 1 to 4 p.m. WOO HOO!
Go to Top of Page

ricdoug
`Olu`olu

USA
513 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2011 :  9:39:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was ono kanikapila, Abrigo family and friends. When I watched that video, it looked like everyone had a microphone and all the instruments were plugged in. That's an elaborate sound system. Congratulations on the production. If you're ever in the San Diego/Orange County, California area, we'd love to have you perform at one of our 6 days a week kanikapila (none on Fridays, yet). Ric

It's easier to ask for forgiveness, than permission!
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2011 :  08:05:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@ ricdoug....I just peeked at your bio, dude 58 guitars!!!!!! I seriously wanna be your friend!LOL. The Abrigo Ohana will be on the mainland about the middle part of next year. You California folks should really try to arrange for them to make a stop in your area. I can assure you, you guys will not be disappointed. They are awesome and getting better by the day!!!.

Yup the Waimea Valley Kanikapila is capable of plugging everyone into the sound system. We once had a high of 37 people amplified!!! So if you West Coast people are visiting Hawaii & your stay coincides with our monthly kanikapila, make it a pont to join us.

Hoof Hearted?...Was it you Stu Pedaso?
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2011 :  6:29:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eh, Duke! Slipry1 an' me stay goin' come Oahu nex' mont', las' half. Jam fo' shua!
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2011 :  10:31:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You kno' dat Kory, das automatic. I stay awredde looking forward to da annual visit. Kanikapila bruddahs!!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2011 :  7:43:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha Ric,

Yup, Dukie is right, and he should know cause he's helped us with the Waimea Valley Kanikapila for the past two years! :) We sometimes have a huge crowd, and sometimes it's smaller, but either way, we have ourselves a WONDERFUL TIME! We'd love to connect when we come to CA. Don't know when that will be yet. We will be on the East Coast in July. We'll connect with you when something is on the horizon. In the mean time, like Dukie said, get in touch with us when you are coming this way, and you can join us for some good times. WOOT WOOT!

A Hui Hou,
the Abrigo 'Ohana
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2011 :  7:31:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Abrigo 'Ohana is proud to announce the birth of a brand new kanikapila at BISHOP MUSEUM! WOOO HOOO! The Bishop Museum Kanikapila will be held the last Sunday of every month in the year 2012. More details coming soon!
Go to Top of Page

ricdoug
`Olu`olu

USA
513 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2011 :  9:57:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Abrigo family, call me at (760)458-6656 . We have kanikapila in San Diego/Orange County every day of the week, except Friday. Sir Duke, it's 62 guitars, currently. Everyone of them have a unique mission. Only 15 ukuleles as of now. Ric

It's easier to ask for forgiveness, than permission!
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2012 :  12:32:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha Taropatchers,

I'd like to inform everyone about a monthly kanikapila on Oahu that was inspired by our Waimea Valley Kanikapila. This event has been happening monthly for over a year & it's time it gets mentioned. Although the Abrigo Ohana, Derek Higa & I have nothing to do with putting on this event we support it whole heartedly since good friends host this event. Below is the email invite. It's open to the public so drop in if you can.

Aloha Kakou,

We are again having our monthly Kanikapila. We hold it every 2nd Sunday of the month and we want to invite you and your friends and family to come and enjoy. Help start 2012 by celebrating with music & hula and fellowship.

Date: Sunday Jan. 8, 2012
Place: Kualoa Ranch: the Ranchhouse
Time: 1:00 pm to 4:30 pm

Bring your ukulele, kika or other instruments to play and share a song or come and share a hula or just sit back sing and enjoy Hawaiian music. There is a sound system with mic’s and you can plug in your instrument into.We have a pupu table set up for everyone to bring and share a little something and BYOB. We play under a covered lanai area so don’t worry about the weather. Once you turn into the ranch the building that is on the left is the ranch house please park below that building and leave the spaces up near the building open for the Kualoa Ranch tour buses and employees.
There is no cost for parking , or admission just come and enjoy.

Ahui hou kakou, mai hilahila
Alika & Piilani Akana and Ron Johnson

Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2012 :  09:39:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a great kanekapila! I only wish that thumbs and I could make it. Still waiting for the arrival of the new keiki.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2012 :  10:53:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Jack! Looking forward to you & Kory visiting in a couple of weeks. Looks like the both of you are gonna miss the January 15th Waimea Valley Kanikapila too since Kory said you guys are flying in on the 19th. Good news is that you'll be here for the very first Bishop Museum Kanikapila January 29th!!!!! Hopefully there will be another jam session or 2 we can get together for.

Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2012 :  01:49:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am elated to announce that the Waimea Valley Kanikapila has been approved for the 2012 calendar year. These will be held on the 3rd Sundays of every month with a few exceptions where it will coincide with other events held by the valley. Below are the dates for the first half of the year. The kanikapila will start at 1pm & finish at 4pm.

Waimea Valley Kanikapila
Jaunary 15th
February 19th
March 18th
April 15th
May 20th
June 17th

Also being hosted by the Abrigo Ohana will be the Bishop Museum Kanikapila which will be held on the last Sundays of each month. We are very excited to start this second event in January 2012.This too has been confirmed for the 2012 calendar year.These kanikapila will also be from 1pm to 4pm. Below are the schedule dates for the first half of 2012.

Bishop Museum Kanikapila
January 29th
February 26th
March 25th
April 29th
May 27th
June 24th

At Waimea Valley there is a concession stand where you are able to purchase food & beverages. Unfortunately outside food is prohibited at the Pikake Pavilion where the kanikapila is held. At the Bishop Museum there is also a concession stand where both food & beverages can be purchased. However, bringing your own picnic lunch & mat or blanket is allowed on the grassy area adjacent to the kanikapila.

If you are visiting Oahu please check the scheduled dates for these kanikapila. We would love to have you join in the music as a participant or spectator. Come to meet fellow Taropatchers & musicians from beginner levels to the pros. Come to play, come to watch, come to wala'au.........just come to witness a resurrection of the old Hawaiian traditon of kanikapila. Music bringing people from all walks of life to one song, one note, one ohana

A very good sound system is provided by the hosts and everyone is encouraged to plug in. Please bring your own instrument cord if you intend to plug in. All levels of players are welcomed to participate. No outside amplification is allowed to insure proper volume etiquette towards all participant. Both events are video taped to appear on public televisions Ole'o Channel & YouTube. Your images will not appear in either unless you sign our release form............E Komo Mai

Go to Top of Page

Doug Fitch
Akahai

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2012 :  3:22:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Doug Fitch's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Super groovy Sir Duke! Sometime I want to come (espedially to the closer museum kanikapila). I usually have my slack lesson Sun mornings and then work on paperwork all afternoon. Maybe I couled switch paperwork to Saturday some time. Thanks for the email and for this post. Keep on slackin' brother!!!

Doug Fitch
fitchdoug @ yahoo.com
www.dougfitchmusic.com
http://youtube.com/user/dougfitchmusic
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2012 :  4:14:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Bruddah Doug it's been way too long since you joined us for a kanikapila. I remember you being at the very first of these when it was held at the Higher Ground Coffee Shop in Wahiawa. Mike Keale & 2 of his cousins were there. Remember we had just ONE little amp & ONE mic so we passed it around to whoever had the lead? Times have really changed because we now have a top of the line sound system that once amplified 37 players!!!!! I also remember you coming to the kanikapila when it was held for a short time at Pizza Bob's in Haleiwa. I remember Chino Montero coming too...............Hope to see you at the Bishop Museum Kanikapila soon & don't count out the Waimea Valley Kanikapila cause you've made out to Wahiawa & Haleiwa in the past so distance can't be an excuse LOL

Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2012 :  11:46:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha no everyone

It is my pleasure to remind & invite you all to join us for our monthly kanikapilas being held
this coming Sunday February 19th from 1pm to 4pm at Waimea Valley & Sunday February 26th
at the Bishop Museum also from 1pm to 4pm.

All levels of musicians are encouraged to attend & participate in an ohana style atmosphere
where the emphasis is on sharing & perpetuating traditional style Hawaiian music that was
commonplace in Hawaii for many generations past. Our motivation is to resurrect the old
Hawaiian concept of sharing mana'o (knowledge) of our culture through music & socializing.

Come if you're an entry level aspiring musician to be exposed to the many learning resources
in attendance at the kanikapila. Come if you're an accomplished Hawaiian musician in hopes
that you may inspire an aspiring local musician. Make musical connections. Join the ever
expanding network of our music community. Find others to play music with throughout the
month & in between these events. Come to experience this enjoyable gathering as a participant
or spectator.

Pack a picnic lunch for the Bishop Museum Kanikapila & bring the keiki or mo'opuna to be
exposed to beautiful traditional Hawaiian music, plant the seed in hopes that the younger
generations will pursue the music of their heritage. For the Waimea Valley Kanikapila outside
food is prohibited but there is a concession stand where food & beverages are available for
purchase. It is important for us to inform everyone that alcoholic beverages are prohibited on
the premises for both kanikapila events.

Please note that we do not allow outside amplification to ensure proper volume etiquette to
all kanikapila participants. A top of the line sound system is provided by the hosts and we are
able to accomodate everyone who wishes to plug into the system. Please bring your own
instrument cord.

It is also important to note that both kanikapilas are video taped to be broadcast on public
television's Olelo channel 52 & for YouTube by Lanet Abrigo & various other vidograhers. There
will be a waiver to sign so that your personal image will not be captured without your written
consent.

Mahalo
The Abrigo Ohana
Bishop Museum
Waimea Valley Park
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 32 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page