Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 Kanikapila O'ahu
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 32

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2009 :  09:08:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by abrigoohana

Aloha Taropatch Ohana,

We are looking for a new place for the kanikapila. Hoping for something more central so everyone can come, and maybe with a little more space. Any ideas??? Please keep in mind, we want to stay dry, so indoors would be nice if possible. Also, wondering if Saturdays work best for everyone? Was kind of thinking Sunday afternoons might work better, please let me know.
I'm canceling the February kanikapila until we find a new place.

Mahalo, Lanet and the Abrigo Ohana

Oh, too bad! Ya know, the Seattle Experiment kane takes place at Auntie Neej's, which is smaller than Common Grounds; we jus' squeeze everyone in. Mahalo for inviting me & Thumbs fo' da january one! I didn't think that we were crowded.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

ricdoug
`Olu`olu

USA
513 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2009 :  1:53:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most libraries have rooms setup for such meetings. That might be a good interrim solution. Ric

It's easier to ask for forgiveness, than permission!
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2009 :  12:24:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha Taropatch Ohana,

MUCH MAHALO for all these great suggestions! I'll start looking into them and let you know as things unfold. We love the idea of Helemano Plantation (Dole). It's a tiny bit farther away than the cafe was, but if everyone's cool with the drive, I'll go check it out. Libraries, I'll look into that too. Rec centers, another great idea. Queen Emma's summer home and/or Bishop Museum, also excellent. Seattle, I think we'd have trouble with the commute, but thanks for offering . I'll look into all of this and keep everyone posted here on this thread. Did I miss anything?

Kind of shying away from the idea of having it at a park cause we've had three kanikapilas so far, and EVERY SINGLE ONE of them fell on a really stormy, windy, rainy day. Weird weather, but it sticks in my head how thankful we were for a nice, dry spot with clean bathrooms (and bathroom doors!).

Slackkey808 said:
Awwww bummers. What if we just had kanikapila's at different people's houses? I'm not sure but doesn't that eventually mean that everyone will have traveled the same distance (assuming they go to all them). We could have February one at my house...

Is the offer still open for this Slackkey808? How about we try at Slackkey808's house for February and see how it goes? Not everyone has the space to offer, but we could try if everyone's willing. I'll look into these other ideas too, and we can see how things go.

Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2009 :  10:20:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha Taropatch Ohana,
Talked with Mike Keale last night, he said he's going to continue to come to our kanikapilas, he just loves them. I'm going to invite Kamaka Fernandez and Jeff Au Hoy too. Going to have to beat off the fans, they're probably the two most eligible bachelors in Hawaii! Still checking into possible locations, but have a bunch of projects on the table, including sewing the children's performance outfits for Pakele Live!. Wouldn't be such a big deal, if I actually knew how to sew! I'll keep everyone posted on the progress.
Go to Top of Page

Doug Fitch
Akahai

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2009 :  8:46:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Doug Fitch's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha Slackeroos and Slackerettes,
I'd be happy to host a kanikapila at Hale Haole Hau'oli (Doug's house)! Lanet, just round up 'em and let me know when would be a good month.
Doug Fitch
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  01:25:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doug - that name for your hale is GREAT!!!!!

But you forgot the ho`okipa part.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 02/01/2009 01:26:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  11:52:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OMG Doug's house would be SO great! Definitely will keep the name, LOVE IT! Also have another possibility for this month, but you know me, why have one kanikapila when you can have TWO! ;) Will let you know soon as I check Doug's availability, and the other offer too.

A Hui Hou, Lanet and the Abrigo Ohana
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  9:14:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey whereever it goes down it will be good. I met Mike and the Abrigo 'Ohana , all good folks so we be jammin soon.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2009 :  07:56:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha everyone!
Still working on a spot for the kanikapila this month, hang in there, I'll let you know when everything is set up. Will probably be on the 15th (a Sunday). Hope that will work for everyone.
Mahalo, Lanet
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2009 :  09:29:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Next Sunday eh? (Maybe I can take the day off...)
Go to Top of Page

Doug Fitch
Akahai

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2009 :  10:35:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Doug Fitch's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I can definitely host Sun 2/22. Sorry I am unavailable to do so 2/15. I'd love to have the group here!
Aloha, Doug
Go to Top of Page

PoiDog
Lokahi

245 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2009 :  08:20:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK...I don't know what came over me. Or, how this idea even came to my po`o. This is just a thought, so bear with me.

You know, sometimes our kupuna crave hearing Hawaiian music. Not all are mobile enough to visit the various venues. Many are living out their goldens in group facilities around O`ahu.

Perhaps...Well, being that the kanikapilas are so much fun, maybe a few of you could get together at a Senior Center once in a while? Last June when we went to the Waimanalo Senior housing, the residents had a ball and really appreciated the food and music we had for them. I'm only talking about the music part, not the food.

I don't know what the logistics would be, or who to call, or how much time would be available. I'm sure nothing needs to be practiced, there is no show to be produced. Just local people playing Hawaiian music for fun, and reaching out to other people in their later years. Just a fleeting thought...

Aloha,
da Poi Dog
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2009 :  08:32:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poi Dog - you get one brilliant idea. Funny ting you say dat. We wen visit Paul's mama in da rehab facility and asked her if she like have Paul and da nephews come play geetah music fo her. She seemed to perk up and smile about dat. Den when we was leaving, I was lookin at da organ an piano dey get stay in da patient recreation area. Da Activity Direcktah say, hey you can play em if you like. I said, nah, nah. But then we got to talking about coming to play music for all the patients who might want fo heah. I thought Paul and da nephews could have fun at dat and teach da boys some songs be more appropriate for older folks. Den he said he usually pay peepo for entah-tainment $75 for one owah. Paul would no take money fo pkayin music fo his mama, but da boyz, now, dat one idea for dem play even when Gramma comes outa deah, can go play music couple times a mont and make few $$$.

But that is a great idea, Poi Dog. Not oni give chance fo get togeddah and make music, but show respeck fo kupuna. An kupuna still like have fun. Even if no can stan up fo hula can do da hand movements. Prlly any place lida get one "Activities Director" could call.

Might even be kid hospitals or nursing homes or regulah hospitals wheah can play music. Sometimes dey bring keiki to hang out wit kupuna. Teach things to keiki, make kupuna happy. Kupuna like da keiki. Grammas eyes wen light up when noddah nephew bring his tree mont old new dawda. She smiled and wanted fo kiss da bebe.

This whole experience with Paul's mom in the hospital and then rehab facility has shown me how little we care for kupuna ovah heah. I think Hawai`i better honoring deah kupuna.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

PoiDog
Lokahi

245 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2009 :  09:29:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Damn...What waz I tinking? No need be oni on O`ahu, right? Shoot...I goin make some fone calls right hea in da back yahd! (well, not my back yahd, but you get da driff...)

Bruddah Jarret? Whea you ste?

Aloha,
da Poi Dog

Edited by - PoiDog on 02/05/2009 09:30:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2009 :  6:24:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sirduke58

Eh Braddah John,

Das one smaht idea,I goddah echo ereting braddah Ed said. Eh to da organizahs jess let me no weyah & wen cause I'm in!!!

Me too....
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 32 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000