Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Inversions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2009 :  08:09:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No worries. I had a hunch that's what you were talking about.

I'd suggest you immediately pick up Peter's new book. No, it is not a beginner's method; so don't expect to start at page 1 and work your way to the end. But he's got some great info on "open and closed" position "two note chords"--- in other words, exactly what you are talking about.

I call them "double stops," because that how I learned the terminology. Some folks call them "harmonized scales." It all means the same thing.

Even better, the book has diagrams, TAB, notation & photos to help illustrate the various positions. And he covers quite a few tunings. There's a lifetime of learning between those covers.

quote:
I don't know music theory at all (Strike 1), I am self taught (strike 2) and I can't remember anything (strike 3). So what's an old fut supposed to do?

I'd say none of those three things are strikes.

1) I never studied music formally, either (save for two semesters of Music 101 I audited when I was in my 40s. Sorry, but I still don't have a clue how to develop a figured bass, or whatever the hell they were trying to teach me. ) Everything I know about theory I picked up because I was already using it. Play first, think later.

2) I'm self taught, too. So are most folks here.

3) What was the question again???

Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2009 :  10:06:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dear Brudda Gary,

Eh if you like play da reel way wea da music iz nahenahe, slack key no ste dat hard. Only get tree of wayz you ken hold da chord. Eda goin be “lidis” oa “lidat” oa goin be “lidat kine.” You gedem?

Get dakine two note chord sequences and how you pluckem goin determine how good da song gonna be. No matta what da tuning ste, only get two kinds of sequences. 1) Open and closed kine anden 2) closed and even kine. You no like play da two notes togeda oa playem wea da two strings get played at da same time.

Traditional kine slack key you go hold da two note chord position (eda open, closed oa even) anden go play only one of da notes in da position anden you go slidem on da string to da nex position. Da bugga ste melodic oa wot we go call linear – single note kine. Western geetah kine iz harmonic – get two oa moa notes stack on top each udda oa played da same time.

Wea in classical, new age oa da udda kinds of geetah you go play da two notes da same time (go tink da Beatles song “Blackbird”) – in traditional slack key you hold da two notes but you no playem togeda. On topadat traditional kine slack key you no go arpeggiate all ova da place. Odda wise da music iz definetly gonna sound like New Age oa classical geetah. Da song gonna be won nice arrangement in open tuning but not slack key.

Az somada majah reasons y local guyz anden da mainland guyz no agree. And az you know get majah kine disagreements azto wot slack key iz ova hea anden da condescension goin bote wayz.

You gedem? If you gedem den yo slack key geetah goin soun mo betah.

Tanks fo da plug on da book ah you guyz.
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2009 :  11:58:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FYI
Peter's book is available on his web site.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

mpi_50
Lokahi

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2009 :  12:29:37 PM  Show Profile  Send mpi_50 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
OK den, I going stay try pau da Ozzie book. Wen pau going try Bradda Peka Medeiros. Den going pau ahana years and going try play real nahenahe ki ho'alu when I stay watch da sun come and hele. Bradda Mark (I so akamai) I wen write dis down so no can fo'get. But get one problem. Can make chords, but how going make da same ting when I no can figga if stay li'dis o stay li'dat? Den what? Too bad I was beezee playing and pay attenshen to da music when da Kalima Ohana when kanikapila. Den my madda and Keith Haugen and Hui in Japan. Den Keola and Kapono and da Cazimeros when was in Kam. Now I almos' pau hana an stay ready. Waste time dis bugga. Mahalo nui fo da good stuff when write. Hey you fallas tink mo betta I get da Medeiros book first den try finish Ozzie's one? Cuz das wheah da problem stay, yah?
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2009 :  5:41:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally,I think whatever you are learning is a good thing. I intend to finish Ozzie's book, and will probably work with Peter's at the same time, at least to some extent. I have found that I benefit from multiple explanations of the same idea. Where one teacher doesn't get through my thick head, another may succeed. I've been that way as long as I know about, I'm not sure I'll change now. Sometimes a different explanation does the trick. It's also been my experience that I proffit from face to face teaching, perhaps that's an avenue to explore.
Not sure about the "waste time"sentence. If you start now, you start now. If you started last year, you started last year. You move at your own pace, and take as long as it takes to get where you end up. This ain't no sprint, it's a marathon. Enjoy the trip. All you did/do will be a part of you. So when you play from the heart, all that comes out. You started training your ears when your Ma sang to you after the Doctor slapped your feet. How early did you want to start? Years from now, you'll have years of experience.
Unko Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

mpi_50
Lokahi

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2009 :  10:46:08 PM  Show Profile  Send mpi_50 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Guess what I stay bilingual! Can talk pidgin and also converse in English. I understand what you're saying Unko. Hindsight is better than 20/20. The resources were available but I didn't know what they were. I know what you mean, some books have excellent ideologies surrounding a given concept and can remain vague on other concepts. I'm leaning toward taking a short hiatus from Ozzie and sees what Bradda Pete has to say. I can definitely use what he has to offer, I have Potagee blood, I tink das why hard head, but when I see da light da bugga ees making me me makapo!
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2009 :  10:33:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No fo'get, any time wit da guitar is money in da bank. Get plenny mistakes? No worry! Part of learning da instrument is knowing wea da note stay so mo easy fo find'em when you need'em. Listen to music when you drive, do household chores, and when on da computer. Bumbye it stay goin soak in da head an heart and ooze out da fingahs.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2009 :  10:40:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Eh Gary,
Wot yo bruddah Jerome doing now? I no wot Wayne doing but I neva hea about Jerome since Kam skool daze. You rememba running up snake hill cross country daze? Waz killahs.
Go to Top of Page

Baritone
Lokahi

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2009 :  2:10:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruddah Pe'tah! You cruel, talk "Snake Hill"... Albeit, I wen dig wat you wuz saying: no pick da two strings simultaneously; pic won den da udda won. I goin buy won of your buke, Brah!

Kai
Go to Top of Page

mpi_50
Lokahi

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2009 :  2:27:59 PM  Show Profile  Send mpi_50 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I know that playing time is always quality time. But da problem stay when I try make da nahenahe get nahenahe feel but still no sound right (remember, I started with chords in open G and I'm trying to get the slack key sound).Hey Bradda Peeta when you was Kam? I stay only one yea 70, I was trying to be one nadda Kui Lee. ALOHA Bradda Herb, long time no see! Aim High, Bradda! OK da two strings, can play two at a time sometimes, but not all da time ok, but wheah going press? Da strings sound ok when get low sound but I like try sound high and take long time one finga one string kine. Amme-cha sound. das why hard!
Go to Top of Page

Baritone
Lokahi

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  04:47:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go try eyeball Jeff Peterson style fo 'singa da strings' (dis my observation). BUT, Brah, Peterson get looong, skinny fingas! He somtimes use the tips, the sides, da fatty sides...ly dat, you know.

I was paddling my kayak ova hea in the Puget Sound (actually, "Salish Sea") for finish one 150 mile challenge. Really started pushing in April, coz had to pau October.
Go to Top of Page

mpi_50
Lokahi

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2009 :  7:39:11 PM  Show Profile  Send mpi_50 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Bra, I tot you was ol' fut, assamall you. Make me shame. He get da classico sound, I tink. But da bugga stay good. I like da old kine style, not classico plenny kine finga styo. Two finga styo like ono poi, eta!
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2009 :  07:24:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yup, inversions, intervals... voicings.
I'd turn back now if I were you.
Let's put a little space between our notes.
but seriously, even more old style, non-classical players seem to have tricks up their sleeves, to add variety, but leave some room for the germs and gems to sparkle in their playing...especially if all instrumental.
But also, when accompanying a voice, it's important not to 'clog things up' and step all over the singer's range...they can be brutal if you do.

Who said, "music is the space between the notes!"? Beethoven, Spock or Martha Stewart?
Both vertical, and horizontal...Or,
The more "clogged" music becomes, the more it sounds like a bad bar band...
Have you ever walked up towards a night club, and 1/2 a block away it's sounding like mud....But when you go in...it gets WORSE!!!
Of course, a violin would add some nice aesthetic tones and highs...but it's still sprinkles on Sludge pond...no starlight reflects. And if, as commonly happens it's out of tune (the best way to tell is if the bow is moving!) ...Then it's torture.

Hey, so many guitars playing in E and A and unspaced "power" (barre) chords and heavy mid-lows it really gets sludgy...and the cake will not rise.
As Larson observed...So, never learned your modes and scales??? To that I add...Inversions?

Combining notes, whether single Melodic lines, 6ths and 3rds ("double-stops"), the 3 and 4 voice chords and transferring chord shapes without fear, all are handy wonderful tools.
If you can move your open and closed intervals around, then you're already moving shapes...why not learn 2 or 3 inversions of a chord?
If we programmed code with such extreme limitations, then we'd still be going out to marvel at Sputnik.

Go to Top of Page

PearlCityBoy
Lokahi

USA
432 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2009 :  08:29:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Howzit Kapila Kane,

You're cracking me up, especially your violin comments. I actually understood your post, although I believe your reference to Martha Stewart is a first on Taropatch. You have some very good points--sometimes simpler/understated/implied is better.

By the way, your violin sounded great on the Kahumoku/Brozman album--nice aesthetic tones and "no added sludge" . Brozman even showed some restraint. FYI, a couple of months ago I "dropped in" on the studio where you recorded and had lunch and an impromptu kani with the talented sound engineer and his lovely wife.

When are you coming back to the Bay Area? Let us know when you do, so we have an excuse to kanikapila.

Aloha,
Doug

Edited by - PearlCityBoy on 11/22/2009 08:43:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2009 :  08:52:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
East Bay and Turkey in Alameda this week!
Are you thinkin' of pickin' some tunes?
Not sure of how my wife has set up my appointments...but I can make suggestions!

I also need to get a cat sitter here for a recovering cat --(she's on a 12 paw-step program, and maybe 12 teeth after yesterday's surgery) I love this pathetic hair-ball...but we are planning on being out of this "snow cone zone" by Wed. Morning!

Hope my inversions diatribe wasn't negative......perhaps Santa went to the Other Pole today.
Hey, Santa, get out of there, those are for Rudolph's antler fungus.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000