Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 cats, other pets, and slack key moments...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  09:07:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gone for months, and this is my first post?
anyway,

some of my most blessed and peaceful slack key moments...
I'll be playing slack key, mostly for myself and maybe a little Dinner prep ambience for Kalena ...
and then I notice...
Cha-Cha (das Kat) has nestled into my open guitar case and is totally relaxed!

She thinks I'm the greatest slack key guitarist on earth!
9 lives, but hardly any brain...sorta the Pooh Bear Tao master audience....very peaceful and forgiving.

Who else has had moments of Nirvana shared with pets?
I'll take your answers off the air.

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  1:21:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
6 years ago to the day, was when I had to drive far upstate to Northern California, a place called Pine Valley to pick up my new puppy, Zoom. Anyways I listen to a variety of music, on this day, on the trip back I was blaring Zepplin's 'Living loving maid' (I had the dial turned all the way up to 11) My new puppy was freaking out to the point of vomiting. To mellow him out I inserted Sonny Chillingsworth CD, "Endlessly", Zoom quickly mellowed out and feel asleep next to me, a true picture of a content pup.
Now fast forward to 2009, everytime I play Slack Key, he rests his head on my lap, totally relaxed and in harmony with slack key music. Hey! he ain't no cat, but he does Ki ho alu.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  1:25:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For the twelve years my huskie Kibbles would lay down at my feet and listen to me play slack key in the back yard. The animals know good music when they hear it.
Go to Top of Page

APT
Aloha

34 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  1:35:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My dog Rocky nestles right next to my feet when I start playing. My wife swears that it calms Rocky down.
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1019 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2009 :  08:28:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don Narup (Ianui) had a particularly mean, unfriendly black cat (some weird variety), which hated everyone. Wouldn't let you pet her or get near her. On one occasion while visiting Don, I was playing some Slack, (I knew only a few tunes then) and the cat came out of hiding and lay across my feet. As long as I played, it lay there purring; when I'd stop it would hiss (this pattern in apparent contrast to my usual audience responses).
Go to Top of Page

salmonella
Lokahi

240 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2009 :  09:30:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our 8 year old Labrador retriever usually lays across my feet as soon as I sit down with the guitar and doesn't get up until the music stops or the food bowl rattles (Labradors know their priorities). I have a photo with me playing and her laying at my feet on her back (if you have ever seen a Labrador on her back and can picture what their rear legs do in this position, you can imagine the rude things to be said about what guitar music will do to a bitch....)
Anyway, she likes it very much. Even more than the 15 year old Lab who is now deaf. I take this as a complement because they cannot contradict me.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
521 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2009 :  10:01:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have had both ends of the pet experience. The current kitties (Munchkin the calico and Buddy the tabby tomcat) like to hear music, and especially slack key. When I start playing, they often come out of the woodwork and hang out in the living room to listen. They rarely go into the living room otherwise.

A prior cat (purebred Siamese) objected to my guitar playing. She would jump up on my lap, and if that did not interrupt the playing, then she would hop up and sit in the waist of the guitar right under my chin. I believe that she was thinking, "Hey, if you have time to sit still and play that thing, you have time to pet me. Make a lap NOW!" Siamese cats are kinda like that - intense.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000