Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 For your guitars and ukes, DO THIS TODAY!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2009 :  6:14:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This morning someone broke into my son's truck and stole everything it it. The worst thing was the theft of our priceless and sentimental treasure: My deceased father's favorite Martin Shenandoah, which my son loves and played endlessly. Unfortunately, all the paperwork, warranty, serial number, etc. was in the case, also stolen. We could not give the police a serial number right away.

Write all that information down for all your instruments, do it as soon as possible, keep in a safe place.

We are heartbroken and so sad to think that some idiot would take such a beloved item. Lesson learned! Never leave anything of value in your vehicle, and if you're traveling, have all that info on your person.

Julie

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2009 :  7:28:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Julie,

Sorry to hear the news. Hoping that the guitar and other belongings may be recovered.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2009 :  05:13:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear of the loss, Julie. During our move from Alaska two years ago, we were essentially forced to inventory everything for the movers. Since it was handy on one sheet of paper, I took that information and spent a couple of hours (and a couple of beers) putting the info into a spreadhseet. Engineers.....sheesh. It also came in handy when we added a rider to our homeowner's insurance to cover musical instruments.
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2009 :  08:53:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear about the theft.

One more thing to add: take pictures of everything. They help recover lost and stolen instruments. Been there, got it back.

m
Go to Top of Page

Daryl
Aloha

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2009 :  12:28:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Start checking pawn shops. I had my 72 Strat stolen a while back and that's where I found it and got it back.

Daryl
Go to Top of Page

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2009 :  3:52:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And Craigslist,Ebay

Lee
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2009 :  9:36:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So this morning we had to hassle with Martin Guitars and the Roseville Police Department. Turns out our wonderful luthier Dennis Lake had called Martin a few months ago, and found that my father had registered the guitar when he bought it in 1985. But when my son called Martin for the serial number today, they asked him to call the RPD and have them FAX the case number to Martin, and they would then send the number to RPD, but the RPD required a photo ID and my son had nothing left because his wallet was stolen as well. Round and round we go! Sheesh.

Meanwhile, I was phoning Pawn Shops in the Sacramento area, until a person at the 10th shop told me that if they have any forewarning that an item was stolen, they could not buy it from the person offering it. I had left my contact number with a couple of stores, but thought I had hit a dead end at that point and gave up calling around.

At my office this afternoon, the phone rang. It was one of the Pawn Shops, they had taken down my information, and shortly thereafter, 2 buddies came in, one with a camera to sell, the other with a guitar. They came in 2 cars, and that was such a coincidence, because shortly after the robbery, they used my son's credit card to fill up two separate cars at a gas station.

The shop bought the guitar for $60. They called me and told me that I was one lucky lady today, because they believe they have my guitar. I screamed and started incoherently babbling, scaring my office neighbors!

When you sell something to a Pawn Shop here in California, you have to show them a valid photo ID and leave and address and a thumbprint. The Shop has to hold the item for a month and the info goes to a "Pawn Detail" group. If an item was stolen the police get involved. The saga is not over, but it appears that we may unbelievably have a happy ending. Hope this is the real guitar and it is still in good shape and has not been abused. Funny how you can fall in love with an instrument, isn't it?

Thank you, all my friends, for your heartfelt expressions of aloha and concern,

Julie
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2009 :  06:54:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Julie H

So this morning we had to hassle with Martin Guitars and the Roseville Police Department. Turns out our wonderful luthier Dennis Lake had called Martin a few months ago, and found that my father had registered the guitar when he bought it in 1985. But when my son called Martin for the serial number today, they asked him to call the RPD and have them FAX the case number to Martin, and they would then send the number to RPD, but the RPD required a photo ID and my son had nothing left because his wallet was stolen as well. Round and round we go! Sheesh.

Meanwhile, I was phoning Pawn Shops in the Sacramento area, until a person at the 10th shop told me that if they have any forewarning that an item was stolen, they could not buy it from the person offering it. I had left my contact number with a couple of stores, but thought I had hit a dead end at that point and gave up calling around.

At my office this afternoon, the phone rang. It was one of the Pawn Shops, they had taken down my information, and shortly thereafter, 2 buddies came in, one with a camera to sell, the other with a guitar. They came in 2 cars, and that was such a coincidence, because shortly after the robbery, they used my son's credit card to fill up two separate cars at a gas station.

The shop bought the guitar for $60. They called me and told me that I was one lucky lady today, because they believe they have my guitar. I screamed and started incoherently babbling, scaring my office neighbors!

When you sell something to a Pawn Shop here in California, you have to show them a valid photo ID and leave and address and a thumbprint. The Shop has to hold the item for a month and the info goes to a "Pawn Detail" group. If an item was stolen the police get involved. The saga is not over, but it appears that we may unbelievably have a happy ending. Hope this is the real guitar and it is still in good shape and has not been abused. Funny how you can fall in love with an instrument, isn't it?

Thank you, all my friends, for your heartfelt expressions of aloha and concern,

Julie

That's wonderful, Julie. I hope Corey notified the credit card company.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2009 :  07:49:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Glad to hear about a least a partial resolution of your problem Julie.

So, your son left his wallet in the truck as well?? Unbelievable!

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2009 :  1:41:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know, Lawrence,

for some reason we all had a slip of the collective brains. We had a family crisis the night before, and in the process we just all forgot to bring the stuff into the hotel room. (We had gone to a wedding in Roseville) Larry left his 3/4 stand-up Bass in the car, but they left our car alone, probably for two reasons: it is an upscale vehicle, probably alarmed AND it's kind of difficult to hustle a big instument out of one car and into a little Acura or Honda. LOL

Anyway, today the serial number was confirmed by Martin and we're so relieved. I did start a list of my instruments Sunday night!

Julie

Edited by - Julie H on 11/17/2009 1:44:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

ArtSap
Lokahi

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2009 :  08:40:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit ArtSap's Homepage  Send ArtSap a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Back in the early 70's my buddy's 1962 Fender Jazz bass was stolen out of the trunk of his car in Oakland. About a month later his wife asks him to take her to a store in SF so that she could pick up something. So he takes her and opting not to go into the store with her he decides to check out a small music store two doors down that sold lower priced and lower quality music equipment. Lo and behold, hanging on the wall in the back corner of this store was his guitar. How did he know it was his? He had written the serial number on a piece of paper and stuck it in his wallet! Also happened that he didn't have to pay anything for it because it was a reported stolen item. Keep in mind that this was an actual store and not a pawn shop! Several years ago I created a small and simple Excel spreadsheet with column headings of Make, Model, Serial Number and Description for all the equipment I've collected over the years. You just never know...

Art
SF Bay Area, CA / Mililani, HI
"The real music comes from within you - not from the instrument"
Go to Top of Page

basilking
Lokahi

124 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2009 :  3:20:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heartily agree with pix & written descriptions incl make/model/serial # and any/all notes that clearly define your instruments. I've been blessed with not losing very much stuff over the years, hope this post doesn't jinx it. I do know that there are honorable folks who unwittingly accept for re-sale or buy for their own use instruments that end up being revealed as stolen. I also know that diverse folks [incl dealers] react diversely to this unwelcome news. Crisp records make it "easier" to recover your stolen instruments if needs be. Sadly there are some folks happy to buy a vintage instrument for 10% of its likely value in a quick cash sale. Better to have records & legal recourse than take matters into your own hands, trust me.
Go to Top of Page

Fingerpickin
Lokahi

117 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  6:50:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fingerpickin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good suggestions, everyone.

Another idea is to mark your instruments in such a way that only you know they are marked and yet identifies you as the owner. Try this:

Next time you change strings, write your name or drivers license or something on the bottom of the guitar top. Using a stubby pencil or golf pencil, you can put your hand through the sound hole and mark the top. On electric instruments, just remove one of the covers on the back of the guitar and write your info on the inside using a sharpie or white pen.

This trick identifies the instrument as yours, and yet no one can easily see the markings.

Just a thought. Glad to hear your good news, Julie!

Lance

"Hey Lance, try watch." -Ozzie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000