Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Hawaiian Music Grammy nominees announced
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  11:39:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The nominees for Best Hawaiian Music Album (Vocal or Instrumental):

— "He Nani," Tia Carrere & Daniel Ho [Daniel Ho Creations]
— "Friends & Family Of Hawaii," Amy Hanaiali`i [UA Records]
— "Nani Mau Loa: Everlasting Beauty," Ho`okena [Hoomau Inc.]
— "Masters Of Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar, Volume 2" (Various Artists)
Daniel Ho, George Kahumoku, Jr., Paul Konwiser & Wayne Wong, producers
[Daniel Ho Creations]

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  11:49:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations to all the nominees.

I'd also be interested in seeing the list of the Hawaiian CDs that were on the preliminary ballot. Does anyone have that or know where to find it?

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  12:51:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
imagine my surprise. why do they even bother starting out with 20 possible candidates?
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  1:57:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Only four nominees this time ... interesting.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  5:42:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Congrats to all nominees.

How about another Taropatch.net compilation... make a run for Grammy 2011? Hee hee.

quote:
From http://www.nahenahe.net/?p=3196

2010 Grammy Entries
Posted on September 22, 2009 by Keola.

Here is a list of those CDs entered in the Hawaiian Album category for the 2010 Grammys. Good luck to all most of the entries.

1. Aloha Pumehana, Darlene Ahuna
2. Papaku Bring It Home, Faith Thompson Ako
3. Aloha ‘Anianiau Leilani Rivera Bond
4. Hawaiian Man, Brother Noland
5. He Nani, Tia Carrere & Daniel Ho
6. Somewhere, Danny Carvalho
7. Friends & Family Of Hawai‘i, Amy Hānaiali‘i
8. Ho‘ōla I Ka Poli, Kawaikapuokalani Hewett
9. Nani Mau Loa, Ho‘okena
10. Kani Wai – Sound Of Water, George Kahumoku, Jr. & Bob Brozman
11. ‘Ī, Natalie Ai Kamau‘u
12. Kaua‘i, Keli‘I Kaneali‘I
13. Pili O Ke Ao, Kūpaoa
14. Mailani, Mailani
15. Venus, And The Sky Turns To Clay, Makana
16. Solo ‘Ukulele Orchestrations, Gordon Mark
17. From The Heart, Noly Pa‘a
18. …With Aloha, Pali
19. Nāpo’ona Mahina: The Illusion Of Reality, Aaron J. Salā
20. Masters Of Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar, Volume 2, Various Artists

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  7:16:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Uh-oh, I'm slipping. There are four albums on that original list that I don't have! (2, 6, 16, 17)
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2009 :  03:50:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gregg, not to ignore the other gaps on your list, but, get the Faith Ako CD. I think it's outstanding.

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

PearlCityBoy
Lokahi

USA
432 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2009 :  07:18:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by markwitz

Gregg, not to ignore the other gaps on your list, but, get the Faith Ako CD. I think it's outstanding.

Ditto what Markwitz said, except get Faith's first album too. Also, if you get a chance, see her perform live--she's the real deal (as a bonus you get to hear the sweet slack key of Taropatch's own Jim Cramer backing her up!).

Aloha,
Doug
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2009 :  3:19:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know my radio co-host, Manono, has Faith's first album; wonder if she has the second as well? I always appreciate the recommendations.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2009 :  4:40:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gordon Mark is a magician with the ukulele. He and Pops Okami are putting together an album as well.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2010 :  1:33:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know if any of you have heard rumblings of pilikia about this year's nominations. If you participate in Facebook and are friends with various folks in the Hawaiian music community, you probably know there is something going on.

FACT: In order for the Grammy website to permit voters to listen to nominated music, all nominees in a category must provide approval to stream the music. If one does not provide approval, no streaming of anyone's music in that category will be permitted. (My editorial comment: I suppose this is done to "level the playing field", so that unless they all can be heard, none can be heard.)

FACT: One musician was quite upset because the Grammy folks disclosed that one Hawaiian category nominee did not provide appropriate approvals to permit streaming of the music so that voting members of NARAS could hear the music before voting.

FACT: Above said person was advised by person(s) involved with the Awards that said lack of approval came from Daniel Ho.

FACT. It was indeed a recording released by Daniel Ho Creations.

FACT: It was Masters of Hawaiian Slack Key, Volume 2.

FACT: The recording has four co-producers and quite a few artists from whom approval had to be obtained in order to stream the music.

FACT: Above said person accused Daniel Ho of deliberately sabotaging the process by withholding his approval to stream the music.

My comments: It could have been an administrative SNAFU due to the sheer numbers of people from whom approvals had to be obrtained for the Masters of Hawaiian Slack Key recording. Why would ANYONE who permitted their work to be submitted for a Grammy not want the voters to HEAR the music? They've already recorded it...and they want the promotion and recognition that comes from being nominated or winning the award. Therefore, it seems ludicrous to me to think that someone would DELIBERATELY withhold permission in a misguided attempt to hurt the other artists.

Folks frequently look for conspiracies when none exist.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2010 :  5:32:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they AREN'T out to get me!
Unko PAul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2010 :  9:09:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Clarity in the story finally comes out:
http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=20101260331

FWIW, it was Eric Gilliom (not even a nominee this year) who posted the stuff on Facebook; he has since pulled it off (but has he apologized to Daniel Ho?)
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2010 :  11:49:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rendesvous1840

As bystanders, I'm convinced it's not our place to discuss it further. Perhaps we should be slower to post about situations in which we don't always have all the facts.
I do hope you've covered this topic with your charming soulmate, Paul. (Personally, I'm appreciative of the wide range of topics the two of you post and comment about, but that's just me.) And as for bystanders - well, there are a number of us here who are Grammy voters and involved in the process, especially when it comes to having gotten the Best Hawaiian Album Award created in the first place.
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2010 :  12:35:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Eric Gilliom (not even a nominee this year)

I guess that would be the brother of Amy Gilliom then?

(Who likes to go by Hanaiali'i these days and IS a nominee this year)

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2010 :  8:25:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lawrence

I guess that would be the brother of Amy Gilliom then?
One and the same, also 1/2 of Barefoot Natives (with Willie K) and a hell of a fine guitar player. Defending his sister's honor, perhaps?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000