Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Grammy's cut Hawaiian Music category
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2011 :  10:41:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This just in from AP:
http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/Hawaiian_music_Grammy_cut_in_overhaul_of_awards.html

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

kuulei88
Akahai

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2011 :  11:04:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
READ The Recording Academyʻs press release. Thanks to Retro who posted this in another thread.

MAJOR CHANGES AFOOT

The Recording Academy this morning announced a restructuring of the Awards overall (including the way members are allowed to vote) - press release at http://www.grammy.org/recording-academy/announcement/press-release

Main thing you'll all be curious about, of course, is the Hawaiian Album category. Well, here's what is happening with that (quoted directly from the Grammy.com website):

American Roots Music. The traditional and contemporary blues categories and the traditional and contemporary folk categories each were consolidated into one per genre, due to the number of entries and given the challenges in distinguishing between Contemporary Folk and Americana and Contemporary and Traditional Blues. There has been a great deal of concern over the consistently low entries in the Hawaiian, Native American and Cajun/Zydeco Categories. It was believed best to continue to honor such regional music, but to do it all together, recognizing the very cream of this crop, with one category: Regional Roots Music. This has a pattern/precedent in Regional Mexican Music and would incorporate Hawaiian, Cajun/Zydeco, Native American, and Polka music (which has a regional home in the Great Lakes states).

amy k
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2011 :  11:38:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Also from the other thread - for those curious about the new criteria:

From the Grammy.com website:

Minimum entry thresholds per Category.
It is now expected that each Category shall have at least 40 artist entries. If a Category receives between 25 – 39 artist entries, only three recordings would receive nominations. If a Category receives fewer than 25 artist entries, the Category would not be presented that year (and entries would be moved to the next most logical Category). If a Category receives fewer than 25 entries for three consecutive years, the Category would be discontinued (and submissions would be entered in the next most appropriate Category).
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2011 :  2:36:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seems like da Grammy guys figgah da small kine music ony wase time. Dey really ony like hea "KA-CHING!"
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2011 :  2:41:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thumbstruck

Seems like da Grammy guys figgah da small kine music ony wase time. Dey really ony like hea "KA-CHING!"

I think they combined Hawaiian with Polka so that YOU could win, K! (You can do Cajun, too, right?)
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  04:10:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm all for "smorgasbord" ala NWFolklife, where many styles easily accessable. Cross fertilization and creativity cause new things to happen. But, genres are easily identified with a region or ethnic group, highlighting the uniqueness of the style. Why have Grammy categories at all? Just give the award to the one with the biggest $.
Go to Top of Page

donkaulia
Lokahi

249 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  08:06:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit donkaulia's Homepage  Reply with Quote
'Ka-Ching' is right...all about the money.

We Hawaiians, like other minority groups on this planet, have always been taken advantaged of...since the overthrow, our land properties, our language, our culture and our music...has been taken advantage of.

Everything we do is spiritually tied to Akua and our ancestors.

Perhaps this may be a 'slap in da face' to some, to others this is
Kharma justified naturally.

Thank you Germany, They never had any Hawaiian category but awarded their Echo Award to my childhood friend and playmate braddah IZ ..Israel Kamakawiwoole.

I have always believed that a Grammy Chapter for Hawaiian Music should be located and designated here in the Hawaiian Islands. We already have HARA to recognize Hawaiian artists every year and a collaboration with a Hawaii Grammy Chapter would suffice.

Perhaps Germany will set the precedence beyond the corporate music world of America for Hawaiian music. Hawaiian music will always live on.

donkaulia
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  09:39:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From the Maui News:

http://www.mauinews.com/page/content.detail/id/548063/Prize-for-Hawaiian-album-lost-in-Grammy-overhaul.html?nav=10

Hawaiian music is being eliminated as a category from the Grammy Awards, as part of a reduction in the number of categories by more than 30 in the biggest overhaul of the awards in the 53-year history of the Grammys.

Most artists with Maui ties were not immediately available for comment Wednesday, but four-time Grammy winner and slack-key artist George Kahumoku Jr. said there at least will be a category for Hawaiian music artists to compete in, even if it is in the more general category of "regional roots music album."

In the new category, Hawaiian music would be included with Zydeco and Cajun albums.

"At least we're still in there," he said. "It's better than all of us being wiped out."

Kahumoku said he's been fortunate to win four Grammys for Hawaiian music, a feat that appears unlikely to be repeated.

"I think we've been blessed to be able to get this far," he said. "I'm not pleased it went that way, but it's better than nothing at all, not to have any Hawaiian music."

The number of categories for the Grammys has been cut from 109 to 78.

Other awards, such as best Native American album and best spoken-word children's record, have been eliminated.

Mountain Apple Co., which produces Hawaiian music albums, blasted the move and asked the Recording Academy to reconsider its decision.

"It is regrettable that - at a time when Hawaiian music as a genre is experiencing greater popularity and gaining traction with new audiences - the music industry will lose an international platform for recognized gifted artists," the company said. "Hawaiian music deserves to be acknowledged as a category in its own right, not only for reasons of language but for cultural and historical reasons as well.

"It is more than simply music from a specific region; Hawaiian music is unique," the company said. "Due to the nature of the worldwide music industry, it is incredibly challenging for artists from less-dominant cultures and non-English-speaking backgrounds to break through into mainstream music. For Hawaiian artists, the Grammys served as a key vehicle to achieve this objective. . . . The loss of the Grammy for Best Hawaiian Music Album is not only a major loss to the Hawaiian, but to music lovers across the globe. The Grammys have the power to reach millions, if not billions, of new listeners - people who are waiting and watching for new music."

While no musical genres will be excluded from Grammy contention, the changes will make the awards a lot more competitive.

"It ups the game in terms of what it takes to receive a Grammy and preserves the great esteem of which it's held in the creative community, which is the most important element," Recording Academy President and Chief Executive Officer Neil Portnow said in a telephone interview Wednesday.

While the Academy has adjusted its rules and adapted to industry changes over the years, these changes follow its first major examination of the awards structure, a process that took more than a year.

The biggest change will come in the number of categories. Awards will no longer be given in such categories as rap performance by a duo or group; some of the instrumental categories in pop, rock and country; traditional gospel; children's spoken-word album; Zydeco or Cajun music album; and best classical crossover album.

That doesn't mean that those types of recordings are ineligible. They will simply compete within larger fields.

Portnow said the changes will make the awards process more rigorous.

"That's appropriate. We are talking about the most prestigious, coveted award and it should be a high bar in terms of the measurement of receiving that," he said.

Separate male and female vocal categories in fields like pop, R&B and country are among those being dropped. Men and women will now compete in each overall field. That is already the case in the field of rock, which does not have male and female vocal categories.

"A great singer is a great singer is a great singer, and somebody that has a gift in terms of their voice, and is at the top of their game in terms of their delivery and emotion, really isn't necessarily defined by gender," Portnow said.

The changes would appear to make it more difficult for artists in lesser-known and less-mainstream categories. Tia Carrere won't be taking home any more Grammys for best Hawaiian music album, for example. But she could still win in the new best regional roots music album category, which comprises more genres.

Other changes will require each category to have at least 40 entries instead of 25, and categories that receive between 25 and 39 will have only three nominations instead of four or five.

If a category gets fewer than 25 entries, it will be removed for that year, and if it happens three years in a row, the category will be discontinued and the material will find a new home in a related genre.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  11:45:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It appears that the Grammy folks are able to do what Taropatch user couldn't do- define Hawaiian music. At least we can put that discussion to rest, since the definition is clear, even to myopic people like me. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the True And Unexpurgated Definition of Hawaiian Music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZHWy6W00oM
It's a little bit reggae, a little bit Rock-N-Roll.
"Paint pictures, nosy, all talk is lies."- Bob Dylan
Unko Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  07:09:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Video explanation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-GiMfedT-E

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Michael Benner
Aloha

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  08:55:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Benner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So who'll be first to write The Slack Key Polka?
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  09:23:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Benner

So who'll be first to write The Slack Key Polka?

thumbstruck, if he hasn't already!

keaka
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  1:13:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Taropatch tuning can yield zither-like sounds. I've figured out a couple laendlers in that tuning.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  1:15:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Traditional music is alwasy accompanied by great food. What does "pop" music have? I rest my case, yer honor.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  1:29:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Soda pop and pop rocks and pop corn and pop tarts.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  4:48:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thumbstruck

Traditional music is alwasy accompanied by great food. What does "pop" music have? I rest my case, yer honor.

Da weasel? ...and so it goes.

keaka
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000