Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Grammy's cut Hawaiian Music category
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2011 :  04:58:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thumbstruck

Traditional music is alwasy accompanied by great food. What does "pop" music have? I rest my case, yer honor.

Whatever 12-24 year olds eat...
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2011 :  08:33:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Weasel,possum,groundhog,it's all the same. Tastes like chicken.
Unko Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2011 :  09:54:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rendesvous1840

Weasel,possum,groundhog,it's all the same. Tastes like chicken.
Unko Paul

Eh, Paul! I agree about possum and groundhog, but weasel?????

keaka
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  04:14:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lute fisk is traditional at Christmas time. Smells strong but tastes great!
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  12:34:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Someone said today on Facebook that now video game music is eligible for Grammies. Did they etake away Hawaiian category so they could make a dumb category for something for weird post-adolescent boys who never see the light of day?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  12:57:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More today from Honolulu Pulse: http://www.honolulupulse.com/music/hawaiian-grammy-winners-return-home-2

HONOLULU PULSE STAFF / staff @ honolulupulse.com

Grammy Award winners Daniel Ho and Tia Carrere are coming back to Hawaii to address the hotly contested issues behind their two consecutive wins as well as the recent restructuring of awards categories that subsequently made the Best Hawaiian Music Album and other regional category awards obsolete.

“Debating Culture” will be a special addition to the ongoing series of programs entitled “… aia i ka wai … Dialogues on [the Present & Future of] Hawaiian Music,” sponsored by the Dai Ho Chun Distinguished Chair, the University of Hawaii-Manoa’s College of Arts & Humanities, Hawai‘inuiakea School of Hawaiian Knowledge, Kamakakokalani Center for Hawaiian Studies, and the Gladys Brandt Chair in Polynesian Studies.

The presentation will be held from 6 to 8:30 p.m. Thursday, April 21, at the center, located at 2645 Dole Street. Admission is free.

Amy Ku‘uleialoha Stillman will also be part of a moderated discussion with Ho and Carrere following the duo’s 45-minute performance. Stillman wrote the Hawaiian language lyrics to Carrere’s two previous albums (released under the Daniel Ho Creations label), “‘ikena” and “Huana Ke Aloha,” that won Grammys in 2009 and this year, respectively. The Hawaii-born Stillman is a faculty member at the University of Michigan as an associate professor of American Culture and a member of its Center for Southeast Asian Studies.

In her announcement about the April 21 program, Stillman wrote that “the successes of Tia Carrere and Daniel Ho in the Grammy awards have drawn controversy, displeasure and attacks from the Hawaiian music community. Many of the attacks are irrelevant to the guidelines for Grammy awards published by The Recording Academy. (The April 6) announcement about The Recording Academy’s sweeping reorganization of awards categories adds a new perspective to the volatile mixture of issues in play.”

Starting next year, nominated Hawaiian albums will have to compete in the newly formed Best Regional Roots Music category, along with albums from other now-deleted categories such as Native American, Zydeco/Cajun and Polka.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  1:17:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Someone said today on Facebook that now video game music is eligible for Grammies. Did they etake away Hawaiian category so they could make a dumb category for something for weird post-adolescent boys who never see the light of day?
Sigh --- the distribution of such nonsense just adds to the ongoing misunderstandings about the Grammy Awards.

Video game music has been eligible for some time, competing against film and television music in the "visual media" categories. Nothing was added or removed from that field; they just renamed those three awards.

You can research these kinds of concerns at http://www.grammy.org/recording-academy/announcement/category-list
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2011 :  2:22:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Follow up article on last night's panel with Dr. Stillman, Ho & Carrere ---
http://www.honolulupulse.com/events/ho-carrere-address-criticism-head-on

Whatever side you take in this concern (and you don't necessarily have to "take a side" - it IS possible to understand everyone's perspective, if you try), you must give the trio credit for standing up in a potentially hostile environment and defending their art.
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2011 :  04:44:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Retro

.... you must give the trio credit for standing up in a potentially hostile environment and defending their art.

Sorry to sound contrary, but why must credit be given?

Why would there be the need to be defensive if everyone would just do what you are saying and just agree to disagree?
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2011 :  08:21:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sm80808

Why would there be the need to be defensive if everyone would just do what you are saying and just agree to disagree?
Sure would be nice - but the attacks keep coming. It's one thing for some artists to just complain about the results, but it's quite another for some to threaten lawsuits, as has been happening recently. In such an environment, how long would you have the potential defendants stay publicly silent?
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2011 :  10:56:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Retro

It's one thing for some artists to just complain about the results, but it's quite another for some to threaten lawsuits, as has been happening recently.

Lawsuits that is unfortunate.

If anyone was there, did Mr. Ho say something along the lines of:

quote:
of course I respect my elders, but they need to earn my respect first. . .

and also:

quote:
they (kupuna) are just like us and therefore no better than us. . .

I realize that can sound really disrespectful when taken out of context. Can anyone who was there fill in the context of that statement if he did indeed say that.

Thanks.

Edited by - sm80808 on 04/24/2011 11:02:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2011 :  12:42:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eh, Shawn. A friend once told me that humanity is a succession of more knowing less.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2011 :  3:11:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sm80808

If anyone was there, did Mr. Ho say something along the lines of:

quote:
of course I respect my elders, but they need to earn my respect first. . .

and also:
quote:
they (kupuna) are just like us and therefore no better than us. . .

I realize that can sound really disrespectful when taken out of context. Can anyone who was there fill in the context of that statement if he did indeed say that.

Thanks.

I was there but left at 9:10pm, I think, just before Daniel answered the question.

This is from Kumu Amy Stillman's facebook page:
quote:
For anyone following yet another attempted vilification of Daniel Ho, here are Daniel's words, transcribed from the audio recording of the last portion of Daniel's response to very valid and valuable question from Hoku Zuttermeister:

Daniel: "I am personally offended when people make comments that our music is not Hawaiian, or that it's an insult to Hawaiian music, as one of our elders had said in a recent article. Which brings me to respect of elders. I believe that we're all people. And I do respect elders. But elders need to have to earn their respect. These people that have spoken out to redefine the aloha spirit over the years, these elders--do I respect them? [pause] We're all people. Just because they're older than someone else gives them no right to attack them. That, I feel very strongly about that." I have the audio recording on my laptop.

Please note: Daniel did NOT say "elders have to respect me first," which is what is circulating according to memory and hearsay.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2011 :  7:52:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Andy (& Dr. Stillman). This topic is heated enough; it doesn't help to foster understanding if people are using inaccurate information for their discussion.
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2011 :  03:35:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Admin

This is from Kumu Amy Stillman's facebook page:
quote:
Daniel: "I am personally offended when people make comments that our music is not Hawaiian, or that it's an insult to Hawaiian music, as one of our elders had said in a recent article. Which brings me to respect of elders. I believe that we're all people. And I do respect elders. But elders need to have to earn their respect. These people that have spoken out to redefine the aloha spirit over the years, these elders--do I respect them? [pause] We're all people. Just because they're older than someone else gives them no right to attack them. That, I feel very strongly about that."

Thank you for the clarification Andy.

Now that there is context, we can agree or disagree with that statement as a whole.

Question for everyone: What do you think was accomplished by having this forum?

It seems both sides have just solidified their positions even more.

Edited by - sm80808 on 04/25/2011 03:36:13 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000