Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 New logo - are your creative juices flowing?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2003 :  11:05:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
In my post titled Some post trip reflections, there was mention of creating a TaroPatch.net "button" for people to wear during workshops to help identify other forum members. This spurned a call to create a button or new logo for it.

I'm calling on anybody out there interested in donating their time and effort to create one. Not sure if it will replace what we have on the site or just be used for buttons or whatever.

Please submit prospective logos to me via email. I will post each one received (anonymously, that is without indicating the author) so that there may be an impartial vote for a winner. Please refrain from posting your logo to the forum and also submit your graphic image on or before July 24th, 2003.

Good fun.

Andy

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2003 :  01:15:21 AM  Show Profile
Cool! I guess the scanner-less can go to Kinko's or such.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2003 :  03:58:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
July 24th?? Where did that come from?!

Also, for the sake of versatility, said logo should ideally be adaptable to other uses, such as t-shirts. If you've never designed a logo before, a good logo is graphically simple (i.e., not too much detail), easy to identify, and is able to communicate at a glance the essence of what it represents.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 07/04/2003 2:07:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2003 :  12:14:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
July 24th?? Where did that come from?!
Just picked 3 weeks in hopes of getting some buttons before the Beamer camp. It'll be kind of tight though.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2003 :  1:46:44 PM  Show Profile
You know the one that already exists that I love, does everything that Craig pointed out, and has instantly identifiable meaning?

The guitar player Hawaiian petroglyph that Mark had put on some of the Aloha Camp stuff.

Maybe if TP.net added something simple like the URL in a circle around it, Mark wouldn't mind the use of his idea - and it might even be considered a nice tie-in.

I know this is a stretch, because Mark probably won't like stealing his IP, and it might be construed as showing favoritism to one camp among competing camps (however friendly the competition), but it is a killer logo.

Do I have to ask for opinions :-)? I'd like to hear what Mark feels about it, too.

Also, Andy, 3 weeks is too tight for something that potentially we will have to live with for a long time. Aside from production problems, you can't legislate creativity. As you might remember, I was involved with the CD cover design for RMMGA CD 2 and that design generation and voting and changes, etc. took over 1/2 a year.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2003 :  2:10:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
The petroglyph would work really well for Beamer camp buttons, maybe with a slogan like "Meet me at the taro patch...TaroPatch.net" and as space for your member name. Personally I'd like to see something uniquely ours for a general logo though.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

ongchua
Akahai

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2003 :  2:25:39 PM  Show Profile
Hello Craig,

Do we have an image of that petroglyph somewhere?
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2003 :  3:25:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Hans, try http://www.alohamusiccamp.com

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2003 :  4:01:41 PM  Show Profile
Actually, I have seen several variations of a "guitar player"
petroglyph over the years so the AMC one is not particularly
unique. It is one of the better ones I have seen with this
theme. I have seen similar one on T-Shirts and also remember
one that Fred Hansen created for his SF Bay Area Slack Key
festivals of 6 or 8 years ago. (his company went broke)

What about a logo with a Taro Plant?

This is a little more subtle than showing a guitar or uke,
since the Taro plant represents Family or O'hana in the
Hawaiian culture (and we are a family, are we not?).
A Taro Plant with some musical notes emanating from it
would get the idea across and with "taropatch.net" above
or below the plant it would be complete.

Just some rememberances and thoughts for brain-storming.
(or is that stain-brorming)

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 07/04/2003 4:22:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2003 :  5:31:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Great idea Lawrence.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2003 :  2:04:48 PM  Show Profile
Me, too. Swell idea, Lawrence, although, as you noted, there *must* be some connection to music.

Just a few weeks ago on Maui, I saw a lovely kalo leaf representation, but, for the life of me, I can't remember where. Since a kalo leaf and stalk is so simple, it needs to be done with some flair, and what I saw had that - a 3/4 view in white outline on a teal green background and infill. Now, somebody graphically artistic (there are lots of musically artistic folks here) has to have a design brainstorm - or several sketches to choose from.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2003 :  3:51:53 PM  Show Profile
Kinda agree with Reid here on the guitar playing petroglyph. I overheard a discussion between Mark and Steve Grimes over whose logo it was.
It is a simple and very cool design.

Mark or Steve ? Any thoughts. Copyrights etc?

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2003 :  5:28:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Hi -

I'm leaving in the morning and will be out of contact for two weeks -- good thing I stumbled onto this thread.

Thanks for the nice words about the Aloha Camp logo.

The guitar guy glyph is owned by me personally, and is not available. Sorry, but I have to be a heavy on this -- I get about three requests a month. I designed it for the Learn to Play Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar Book.

Before Keola and I had formalized the plans for the Aloha Music Camp, Steve Grimes asked me if he could use it for a T-shirt. I licensed it to him for that one purpose -- we don't see eye to eye on the terms, though. I thought I got a guitar in trade; I believe Steve's exact words were "In your dreams, sucker...."

Aside from this one permissible use, the logo is reserved for the Aloha Music Camp exclusively. We do have hats. T-shirts and gold charms available with the design.

And yeah, I have copyrighted a version with one puka, too. So please don't just make a couple pen marks to the camp logo and leave it go at that.

Lawrence -- thanks for the historical info. I'm sure I'm not the first to think of it -- in fact, I recently saw a glyph playing a strat. That was cool. Nonetheless, this particular little guy's spoken for.

Get out those thinking caps....

Mark
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2003 :  12:46:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Let's make it interesting...whoever submits the winning design receives the Hawaiian music CD of their choice (my treat).

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2003 :  01:57:02 AM  Show Profile
Craig, how about the Hawaiian musician of our choice? Now that would get me going! Heehee, Julie
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2003 :  10:26:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Just a quick update... so far I've received 7 logos, and there's about a week before I post 'em so we can see where we are. Great work so far so I'm really eager to put them out there.

Andy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000