Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Aloha Music Camp URLs
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Hula Rider
Lokahi

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2003 :  11:05:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hula Rider's Homepage
Aloha no!

Ahhhhh! On Saturday evening I returned home exhausted but thrilled after having spent a week teaching at Keola Beamer's Aloha Music Camp. We celebrated Auntie Nona's 80th birthday - My gosh what a lady! And one of my musical heroines put in a special guest appearance - Emma Verie sang at the party. What an incredible voice! Still exquisite. When I was a girl, I would stand in front of the parlor mirror wearing my Nana's caftan and try to imitate her. Calvin Ho and his family also were there and performed with Keola.

What a fantastic week.

The next camp will be June 20-26 at Kaupoa Beach Village on Moloka`i. You can log in to www.AlohaMusicCamp.com for more information. If the new info is not yet up, it will be as soon as Mark recovers from this past one!

I've also started an Aloha Camp forum to talk about the camp, discuss finer points of Aloha Music Camp life - like "How do I ship ALL the instruments I want to play there?" and "If I use Finger-Ease will it double as mosquito repellant? Or can I just use the repellant as Finger Ease?" The URL is: http://forums.delphiforums.com/amcf

A hui hou,
Auntei Lei

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2003 :  1:38:44 PM  Show Profile
Why not just use the existing AMC forum?

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2003 :  01:15:38 AM  Show Profile
Hi Dusty, I had talked to Leilehua about this while at Aloha Music Camp and my question was: "Is there a way to have a website where we can all submit our camp photos, and all of us can have access?" My feeling is that the AMC website is OK for messages, but I sense that the higher authority there would like to keep a tight reign on the site. I may be wrong, but that is my gut feeling....
It also appears that there is little day-to-day maintenance on AMC, and consequently it doesn't feel as user-friendly as TaroPatch.net. (Hi Andy, we sorely missed you at camp) So anyway, there's the clarification for Leilehua's post... Aloha nui, Julie
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2003 :  11:41:08 AM  Show Profile
Well, well, well. So, the next camp will be held at Kaupoa Beach Village on Moloka`i. No info yet on the AMC web site.

I found this description of it on TripAdviser (anyone know more than this about it?):
-------------------
The Beach Village is one half of the Sheraton property on Molokai, with the other being the Lodge. The Village itself is a series of bunglaows that are within a few minutes walk to the beach, where monk seals can be seen, and are located about 8 miles down a coral paved road from the lodge. (This road is very very bumpy and guests have a tendency to speed). Located amidst what are arid conditions, the grounds had wild turkey as well as a number of other birds that roamed around the area. There are no phones, no TVs, and the only way to get to civilization is to have a car or to take one of the shuttles that run during the day time. The village itself is nice...in a camping sort of way. Each bungalow has two bedrooms which are a canvas material over an aluminum framing. Since it was very windy when I was there, it creates A LOT of noise both during the day and the night. The bungalows have a bathroom that has a composting toilet and a solar powered shower, both of which have only a partial roof. There is dining at the beach village, it is a little kitchen which is supplied from the main lodge and food there is adequate. If you get the adventure package your meals are included so it ends up running ~350 night for two people. I began my trip to the islands here to unwind and found that this place was great for it. However, there is not a terible ammount to do on the island, and most of the activities on the ranch can be a little pricey. If you are a good to above average mountain biker you will enjoy this place since there are trails everywhere. Note though that much of the area is covered in a fine red silt that can create problems when going fast down trails. All in all it is a nice place and very different than Oahu, Kauai and the Big island. If you want to see the islands as they likley were when first discovered, this is the palce to do it. If you want a lot of activites and places to explore, you might want to look at the more developed islands.
-------------------

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2003 :  5:47:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Well, well, well. So, the next camp will be held at Kaupoa Beach Village on Moloka`i. No info yet on the AMC web site.

So much for the surprise factor... I was waiting to make a general announcement until after I'd completed a mailing to our present and former campers. But yes, it's true. The next Aloha Music Camp is June 20-26 at the Kaupoa Beach Village on Moloka`i.

I have to take exception to the description you posted, Reid, as it contains many innacuracies and misleading statements. I'll not take them point by point, save to say that Annie and I spent some time at the Village last year and it was far and away the nicest vacation we have ever had. I sincerely wish that you'd checked out the site yourself before posting something that can only cause harm and confusion.

Oh, and we will have rooms available in the Lodge (a short 4 miles away) for those wishing a more traditional resort experience. All for less than the cost of a typical week in Hawai`i.

I'll have lots of pics on the website in a couple of weeks, in the meantime go to

[http://www.molokairanch.com/

http://www.molokairanch.com/rr-beachvillage.htm

BTW: Since this will also be a source of no small amount of discussion on this forum, let me say right now that we discussed the move and the dates with George Kahumoku, Jr. last spring. At that time, the dates we chose did not overlap his camp. In fact, we specifically discussed the desirability of have the two camps back-to-back in order to make it possible for mainlanders to attend both on a single plane ticket.

I learned two days ago that they Maui slack fest has been set far later in the month than we'd been led to believe. This means the two camps may indeed overlap - George generally waits to set his dates after the slack key festival is announced.

I'm sorry, but it can't be helped. You can still go to both if you want.

Mark

Go to Top of Page

richard
Aloha

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2003 :  8:42:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit richard's Homepage
Gotta agree with Julie. I can't get into the AMC website discussion threads even though I've been to a couple of camps.

Andy, you're a wonder of a website administrator. We did miss you on the big island this year.

Aloha,
Richard
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2003 :  8:59:04 PM  Show Profile
Hey, Mark, don't blame me about the TripAdviser thing. That was the only thing I could find. I asked if anyone knew more.

So, tell us all about it.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2003 :  11:00:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
e aloha kakou,

we've been to the resort part on molokai, and it is a beautiful location. its true that it's a long haul in to get some guava bread at the bakery in kaunakakai, but the white sand beach there makes big beach on maui look like a sandbox. plus, it's going to be a great place to head out early in the morning (having not gone to bed, maybe?) to practice while the sun comes up - kalani honua is a beautiful location, but not for morning strumming. sunsets are great, too...

anyway, i'm going - too many nice people to see and jam with not to go! is that web site up yet? :-)

aloha,
keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2003 :  01:13:14 AM  Show Profile
We just returned from the Aloha Outrigger Races and Festival at the Santa Cruz Wharf, where Keoki Kahumoku, Herb Ohta Jr. and Patrick Landeza were headlined. During one of our conversations, Keoki told me that Keola's and George's workshop would be in conflict. That made me really unhappy. I have a certain loyalty for both of these musicians, and if I'm forced to choose, I will be really upset! The workshops are very different in flavor and I enjoy each tremendously.

Frankly, the physical conditions at Kalani Honua (Aloha Music Camp site) left a lot to be desired this year, and many people are ready for a change. Moloka'i just might be the ticket.

But darn it, this is a year away and there must be a way to juggle the schedules! I won't believe that everything is cast in stone already. Remember, evolution rewards adaptation! (Yikes, one of those big words we were warned about at AMC!) Aloha, Julie
Go to Top of Page

annie
Aloha

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2003 :  1:54:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit annie's Homepage
Hi Julie,

We have been working on this move to Moloka'i for well over two years - there is quite a long lead time to book a facility in Hawai`i. As you may know, it is very difficult to find a facility that will meet the very special needs of an event the size and scope of the Aloha Music Camp. We strive to offer an immersion into the music and culture of Hawai`i. That requires something very special. We believe we have found it at the Kaupoa Beach Village.

Mark spoke with George last spring to discuss the move and coordinate the dates of his workshop and our camp so that there would be no conflict or overlap. At the time Mark and George spoke, there was no conflict or overlap, so we went ahead and commited. In fact, we were excited about the opportunity to offer mainlanders the chance to attend both camps on the same plane ticket.

I still haven't heard what the dates of George's workshop are.
If they do overlap for one or two days, no reason you can't attend both camps.
aloha, Annie
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2003 :  2:17:04 PM  Show Profile
The pictures on that site http://www.molokairanch.com/rr-beachvillage.htm sure look nice. But, I wish there were more of them and it were easier to tell what was what. Mark and Annie, we are eagerly awaiting your pictures. Let us know when they get posted.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2003 :  7:41:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Hi -

I'm still working on the updates to the camp website, but here are a couple of links:

Some pictures of the Kaupoa Beach Village:
http://www.alohamusiccamp.com/Facilities.html

Here are some pics from the recent Aloha Camp:
http://www.alohamusiccamp.com/03pics.html

There's some more info and pics on the homepage, too:
www.alohamusiccamp.com

On-line registration starts in September -- as always, we will send out a pre-registration announcment to our current and former campers.

Hope to see you there!

Mark
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2003 :  8:27:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Here's more information along the lines of what Mark would prefer :

http://www.ican.com/news/fullpage.cfm/articleid/62AD3220-8CDE-48CF-A5C04B32DBE7D660/cx/travel.news_opinion

BTW, if you're into ocean kayaking check out http://www.clearbluehawaii.com !

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 08/25/2003 8:53:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

Popoki
Akahai

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2003 :  1:56:10 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Julie and others,
I was thinking for those of you who like to go to both camps, George's and AMC, that maybe writing Milton Lau (who produces the Slack Key Festival) and see if that date is changable or not might be an option. It usually has been earlier...a couple of year's ago it was on Father's Day, last year on June 22nd. Just a thought.
Aloha, >^..^<

From http://www.hawaiianslackkeyguitarfestivals.com/news.htm
contact Milton Lau at Kahoku Productions  kahokuproductions @ yahoo.com

Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2003 :  01:35:51 AM  Show Profile
So, we actually do not know yet the date of the Maui Slack Key Festival for 2004, do we? Rumor has it that it will be later than ususal. If that is the case, and George moves his workshop to coincide with the Festival, as he always does, that would present a definite problem, wouldn't it? If AMC starts on a Monday, and George's starts on that same week Wednesday, we can't possibly do both, without missing out on a whole lot of AMC. Am I correct on this assumption?

And Annie, of course, I am sure you and Mark have worked on this long and hard, and I don't know much about promoting events, yet. But it seems to me that if there is a built-in conflict, both parties may suffer financially. And your willing campers may have to make some choices that are not very satisfying. It's a dilemma! But I never meant to belittle your efforts, on the contrary, I think you're tops! Thumbs up signal here. Aloha, Julie

Edited by - Julie H on 08/28/2003 01:37:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

Popoki
Akahai

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2003 :  7:43:25 PM  Show Profile
Hi Julie,
I saw it listed in the Maui News when I got back from the Big Island.....
Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 2:00 to 7:00 pm
13th ANNUAL KI HOALU STEEL (?)GUITAR FESTIVAL
A&B Amphitheater. Bring the whole ‘ohana and enjoy an all-day, all-star line-up of Hawai´i’s finest slack key musicians. The captivating journey of the Hawaiian slack key guitar has evolved into a popular musical tradition that truly captures the magic of Hawai´i. Bring a beach blanket or towel - relax on the lawn – enjoy the best music under the sun when the Ki Ho´alu Slack Key Guitar Festival celebrates its 13h anniversary at the MACC. Event festivities include sales of fresh flower lei, fine Hawaiian arts & crafts and delicious local-style food.
Tickets: FREE Admission! (Q)
http://www.mauiarts.org/june04.html
Aloha, >^..^<

Edited by - Popoki on 08/28/2003 7:56:44 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000