Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 Great to see everyone back: At Waihee
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  04:03:02 AM  Show Profile
Jus wanted to say how great it was to see Bill back at waihee again. Doc, Kawika, Kittie,and "Bruddah" Bill. Hey Bill even though your shoulder's were in pain was nice to see you playing again.

Kawika, you and Doc sounded so sweet. So "DUKE" we're going to see you on the 20 huh? Kawika the flute playing was like, we were back in the old day's.

By the way, Patrick Landeza will be on Maui, Oct. 10 thru the 12.
Another slack key artist will be welcomed to join us in waihee valley
Patrick, hope you can fit in sometime to join us. I'll give you a call.

Once again, when ever any of you from taropatch, or any where in the world, decide's to visit Maui, you are welcome to join the rest of the ohana in waihee valley. ( Keith Marzzulo is a regular.)

Aloha!
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  10:38:15 AM  Show Profile
Aloha, Eric

That's ok eric, they'll be other opportunity's.

What time do you start?..... and what day's.

Next time im there, I'll be sure to catch your show.
I remember George very well, we would play on his day's off. That was in the late 70's at the "Lokelani" ball room sheraton maui.

How's your class coming along?

a hui hou
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  1:47:42 PM  Show Profile
Aloha e Kevin,

Sarah and I are glad to hear that the Waihe`e jam continues. For some reason, even though we are not there with all of you, it is comforting to know that you are still doing it - it is like we still have a home to go to and our `ohana is still there.

A hui hou,

Reid
Go to Top of Page

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  1:56:36 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Kevin

Yes, I'll see you on the 20th in Waihee! Really looking forward to it.

Duke
Go to Top of Page

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  3:51:06 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Kakahiaka All!

Yes! It was indeed great to be back in Waihe'e Valley with "Bruddah" Kevin guys. During the past few Saturdays, I had pre-occupied with other things and events. For the event part, we just had our 30th High School Class Reunion that began from 5:00 in the afternoon, till the staff at where our Reunion was held at, had to kick us out.....Nah nah nah...that's not true. It began at 5:00 and supposed to have ended at 1:30 Sunday morning....But we stuck around for as long as we could or was allowed to.

Myself and all my Classmates never wanted our Reunion to end....Some had come all the way from Bellevue WA. Some from parts of California like Corona. There others that also made the trip overseas but no can remember from what areas. Myself and the rest of our Reunion Committee had been busy putting it all together, and excited all at the same time.

For the other thing part, as I had posted previously, I have been plagued with a really bad right shoulder. Meaning, I could only play for a very, very short time. That was the worst....."Bruddah" Kevin, Sarah, Reid, and Keith no how much I love to JUS'PRESS...It's not like me to not have that enjoyment of hours of continuous stylings. I found it fustrating (frustrating?) and really not like me! But yet, I still do pick-up my kika...cause when I don't have kiho'alu in my daily repertoire.....All you slackers know the feeling....

Yesterday's kanikajammapila was like breathing again. But the bad shoulder still persisted.....but allowed me to at least play for a spell. Limited slack key is better than none at all! We had alot of fun! I really had alot of fun at first just listening, then picking-up a guitar cause I couldn't stop me wanting to play....But as always, I would have to stop a bit....allow the throbbing to ease....only to pick-up a guitar and play again! You know the saying "NO PAIN NO GAIN"!!!!!!

I may have a bad shoulder.....but it won't stop me from doing what I love! "Bruddah" Duke! "I look forward to hopefully join you and the Waihe'e Slackers down in the Valley!" Take care all my Ohana here on TaroPatch.net! I'll try to stay in touch! Love you guys and Gals! A Hui Hou!

slackkey Bill
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  10:11:45 PM  Show Profile
Hey Bill,

Glad to see you back with your special kind of aloha!

I hope that shoulder heals soon.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2003 :  01:45:24 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Sarah and Reid

Yes! Maui will alway's be your Home, away from Home!
Especially Waihee Valley, you left your "MANA" there.

"Bruddah" Duke..... Spock you on the 20th.

Missed you ED! ( Kalama.)

Malama, Pono!
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2003 :  05:30:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by ohanabrown

Aloha, Eric

That's ok eric, they'll be other opportunity's.

What time do you start?..... and what day's.

Next time im there, I'll be sure to catch your show.
I remember George very well, we would play on his day's off. That was in the late 70's at the "Lokelani" ball room sheraton maui.

How's your class coming along?

a hui hou
Kevin

Alohas Kevin, yes there will be other chances to play with the gang at Waihe'e. I'll just follow the sweet sounds echoing through the air. Just keep playing and they will come.

I perform in the Luau show from 5pm to 6pm, Mondays and Thursdays.

I had a feeling you knew George Paoa, I never met the man but his daughter let me borrow some taped recordings of his shows to enjoy and provide me with some musical arrangement ideas.

My Slack-key classes are going slow which is normal for a new class offering. I have spoken to 4 experienced guitarists who have expressed interest in the class but no sign ups yet. That's cool though I'd be happy just to kanikapila. Aloha no!
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2003 :  3:39:17 PM  Show Profile
George Paoa was in a class of his own. Great voice!
Jus the piano and him. He was well known all over the world.

Hey eric, it's jus great to know, there's someone out there who's willing to teach! ( keep up the good work.)

a hui hou!
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

edkalama
Akahai

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  01:11:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit edkalama's Homepage
Aloha Kevin & all the Waihee Ohana!

eh Kevin Bruddah, now you really make me feel guilty for missing a few Saturdays. Almost made it last weekend, had my guitar in the truck already when I got a telephone call that I had to respond to (Real Estate kine). Glad to hear Slack Key Bill in action again, even though not full-time yet. I marked my calendar already for Sept. 20th to jam with Duke. Also is Patrick doing a show in Maui in October?

Might join you this coming Saturday!

ed

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  05:05:23 AM  Show Profile
Aloha, Ed

I kinda knew you were busy, But that's ok, you have to take care of business first. The jam sesion is like a "Time Out" for all of us who had a long working week.

Patrick will be on maui for couple of day's. Coming to relax, hopefully he can come by waihee and sit in with
the rest of the ohana's. He will also make a stop on molokai too.

When you mention the word "Aloha" your describing Patrick. What a humble person!

Yes! see you on saturday, if you have the time.
If not , the 20th. Was great hearing from you again.

Me Ke Aloha
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2003 :  2:14:37 PM  Show Profile
G'morning TaroPatch Ohana! My name is slackkey Bill! From the "Valley Isle of Maui, Hawaii! Neh neh neh neh....jus joking around....ha! ha! ha! I figured since I've been MIA for awile, I thought I'd just throw that in. But I do hope all is well here on this AWESOME website!

"Bruddah Kevin"! How wuz da kanikajamapila with "Bruddah" Duke yestahday? Kala mai...I sorry I nevah mak'em ovah dat side. Dakine....my right shouldah no wuz too good....Everytime I start 'press'n no take long fo da bugah fo come soah! Bum-bye let me know how went K!"

It's hard to enjoy my Kiho'alu Stylings when this shoulder of mine would begin to act-up....I still do tho, no matter what, but it really ruins the moment as I would start to really get into it.... the discomfort comes, so I have to stop. But enough of that....

How is evryone doing? I've been noticing alot of "Kanikajammapila Sessions" happening in different parts of your very "Big Island called the Mainland! I think that's really great! Right now I'm listenng to Cyril Pahinui's NIGHT MOON CD (Po Mahina)

With the exception of the bad shoulder, all is well here on the Northshore Of Maui. However, Sunday's already here, and tomorrrow's back to work! "Sarah! Reid! Andy! Lynette! Keith! Susie! Ross! WASSSUPPP!!!!!!"Miss ya!

Well, I just wanted to drop on in to see how all my Ohana here on TaroPatch is doing, and above all else....to let you know I'm fine...sore....but fine. Take care all! Love You! A Hui Hou!

slackkey Bill
Go to Top of Page

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2003 :  2:32:12 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Bruddah Bill!

I wasn't able to make it over to your side of the island yesterday. There was kind of a last minute Music Festival that was put together (I don't know how last minute it was, but I didn't hear about it until a few weeks ago and I didn't see much promo on it), but because of it, I ended up getting busy and had to work most of the day.

I did manage to catch the tail end of Don Kaulia's performance, heard/saw Owana Salazar (she was awesome), Bruddah Noland, and got to see Keola Beamers film on ki ho'alu that was really good.

Not too many people turned out for the event--it was a fund raiser for the Hana Canoe Club--but maybe next year with a little more notice they'll draw more people. I think they did okay raising funds despite the small crowd. Anyway, it was nice to sit under the beautiful Hana night sky and hear some great music.

I was sorry, though, to miss a chance to go to Waihee but it sounded like Kevin was busy with another event in Wailuku. One of these days, I'm gonna get there!

I tried to email you sometime last week to talk about your shoulder--I had similar problems about a year ago--but your email bounced back to me "undeliverable" Kinda like "Return to sender, address unknown, no such number....

Malama pono
Duke

Edited by - duke on 09/21/2003 2:34:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  04:28:47 AM  Show Profile
Aloha "Bruddah" Duke! Bum-bye try try again e-mail me. My e-mail address is <slackkey @ tiki.net> Looking forward to hear from you! A Hui Hou! slackkey Bill
Go to Top of Page

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2003 :  01:51:32 AM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
Welcome back SKB,

Take 'um easy on your shoulder, hope it heals soon. Nothing like the warm waters of Maui to fix it up, yeah? I forget what happened to it?

I think my sweetie and I go to kaua`i come early November to take her moms ashes over, where she was born. I still have to tell my boss!!!, as it's busy time, oh well, some things more important than work.

Probably won't make it to Maui this time though.
Sometime I come Waihe`e.

Trying to learn Moe`uhane from Sonny CD & Hnason's TAB, yikes, still in the first page but that double bass is starting to stand-out and sound familiar to me so there's hope yet!

Was invited to a Friday uke night couple weeks ago and had fun playing da little buggah for da first time! Stood behind and watch & imitate. Looking forward to the next.

gotta sleep now, take care Bill.

a hui hou,
Ross

Edited by - rossasaurus on 09/25/2003 01:58:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

donkaulia
Lokahi

249 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2003 :  4:19:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit donkaulia's Homepage
Howzit T/P Ohana,
I was just browsing through the T/P Website on my spare time here in Kona. I kinda miss the jamming at Waihee and my regular gigs on Maui. Maui has been very good to me and my ohana. We lived there for 12 years, a year after my daughter Mary was born I was transferred to work on Maui. Now I'm here on the Big Island. I have no regrets just missing the friends and the beauty. My move here may have been a blessing in disquise. I hooked up with a couple slack key giants here, Omi and brother Sonny Lim. We've been talking about doing performances and a recording in the making...3 slack key performances with different styles. Should be interesting.

My album, 'Slack Key in the Key of Aloha' just got mastered and it will be on the store shelves by the second week of December 2003. This will be my fourth cd project. The 3rd project Kanoeau Wailau with Chance Gardner of PureSound has not been released pending legal issues. The new project began when I moved to Kona in August 2003. My friend Richard Harrison of GrassShackRecords.com has a studio in Kealakekua, Hawaii overlooking the Bay. I met Richard a couple years ago while performing at the Bankoh Slack Key Festival at Keauhou Kona. Since then, we have been making music. On the album I have a special quest celloist Sandy Norton playing on three tracks as a duet piece. The rest of the tracks features me singing, playing the bass, the guitar and the ukulele. I chose three of my favorites traditional songs and the rest of the lineup is all new songs written by me. The entire album is in slack key, G, D & C.

I'm already laying out the music for the next album to feature my wife and kids.

I've been busy working too at Grace Pacific Corporation as the Island Superintendent. It sure feels good to play music after a stressful day at work. Either way, I love my day job and I love the music.

Keep up with the Slack Key...it is a valuable treasure that is ours to keep and share. Slack key is progressively becoming a worldly attraction.

Aloha, Donald Kaulia....www.kaulia.com

donkaulia
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000