Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Kahumoku Alaska Tour
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Turtle Song
Aloha

47 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2002 :  03:53:15 AM  Show Profile
I just got in from George’s concert here in Anchorage and all I can say is. . . .well, I can’t, I’m speechless.

He began at Borders with a brief presentation and CD signing. From there he went downtown for a workshop followed by the full concert (I passed on the workshop as it is graduation week for my oldest son and my mother-in-law was coming in tonight -- I opted for cleaning house.

Regarding the concert downtown, I had a tough decision to make, go to the airport to pick up MIL, go to listen to wonderful Hawaiian music and talk story. . . . go to the airport to pick up MIL, go to listen to wonderful Hawaiian music and talk story. . . . go to the airport. . . .Nah, Hawaiian music. )

He sang, played and told stories (do they ever get old? ) he was wonderful. In addition to local dancers joining in, his cousin Mervyn (who used to live in Kodiak and recently moved here) sang and played guitar and uke with him. TWO 12-string guitars playing Slack. I can’t even begin to describe it to you. The depth and ring were awesome. Mervyn joined him at both Borders and the concert.

Mervyn’s daughter, Pua, performed two vocals for us. It sounded like it was her first performance from the way George introduced her, but she sounded quite polished to this listener as she belted out her lyrics. What an awesome and delightful young lady, the audience just fell in love with her.

Maile lai were everywhere and the fragrance hung in the air. Oh, I could almost close my eyes and imagine I was somewhere much warmer. . . .

From what Nancy said, it sounds like George’s Alaska tour has been wonderful.

One conversation overheard in the lobby during intermission near CD and sales:

Husband: “Honey, do you think we have enough Hawaiian music?”

Wife: :::::Rolling eyes and continuing to walk::::

Me, jumping in where not invited: “You can NEVER have enough Hawaiian music.”

Wife: “Oh, you haven’t seen what he has.” (Holding up hands to display how large the collection is, which really wasn’t all that large, haha. )

Guess she just doesn’t understand.

Hmmm. . .not bad for someone who is speechless. . .

aka Deborah
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000