Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 Looking for people to play and learn with
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2004 :  12:52:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Cool! What would be helpful would be if you limited the state to abbreviations AND included a city field. Especially for large states like CA, it's useful to know what part of the state people are from.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2004 :  01:00:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I need to work out the kinks. Seems whatever I've done has temporarily messed up the search on the members page. The search function is back online.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2004 :  01:10:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Shoot. I totally forgot about listing Ohio members: Ok, so I did not need to list OHIO-HAOLE but maybe someone will find it useful. Good luck with seeking other players out.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

OHIO-HAOLE
Akahai

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2004 :  09:49:53 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Andy...We'll see what happens...I'll give these people a shout out...Listen I'm SURE your memory is better than mine. I think all the work you do here is great.And don't worry about listing me too...I get so busy sometimes I forget who I am!...That's why I need Ki Ho-'alu to sit and chill!...mahalo!
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2004 :  2:52:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Andy,
Any chance of a list of other Alaskans? (If there are any!)
Karl

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2004 :  3:53:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Aloha all, and RJS in particular,
In pursuing the possibility of video conferncing for long distance lessons, I struck out with our local Kinkos; they say the bigger stores have them but "we are just a little Kinkos". I spoke with my daughter who had made me a charming DVD of a 'day-in-the-life-of-your-daughter' for my birthday on her computer. She said it was done with a digital video camera, but she knew of a video conferencing tool by Macintosh that was availabe. Both she and my wife are teachers so we have Macs (school district-friendly)......OK, OK. stop throwing those rotten eggs! I like my power book, a lot, and we don;t get hit with any viruses, so there:>
Got on the Apple Store site and sure enough, they have a clip-on camera for the Mac that allows real time conversation and video from any two points in the world. Only $149 with software. I am not certain if that is just for the one camera or both, but even at $300 total for two it would be cheaper than several visits to the Kinkos venue. Only problem is, both ends need Macs, as I don't believe this outfit is PC compatible.
Anyway, it is an option I will be pursuing with my friend in hawaii who has agreed to giving lessons if I can figure out the technology aspect. I don't mind purchasing the cameras, but buying him a Mac, if he is one of those PC guys, might be out of the question.
How about, you, Raymond? Mac of PC? And,thanks again for the idea. I passed it among several local pickers and they would be thrilled to join in learning slack key. We are getting somewhere!
Karl
Frozen North

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2004 :  4:31:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Karl Monetti

Andy,
Any chance of a list of other Alaskans? (If there are any!)
Karl
Hi Karl,

Sure no problem! As of 3/27/2004, I see these members located in Alaska.Good luck!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2004 :  9:46:08 PM  Show Profile
I have a PC, but one of my friends has a MAC and a high speed line. She said if we could work out the timing, so would be open to letting me go over there and use her set up. Let me know if your Hawaiian connection doesn't pan out for you.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2004 :  02:08:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Karl, $149 is for one camera and the software (you can find it online for around $125). It requires a broadband connection (DSL or cable modem, preferably DSL). While it works best when connected to another Mac with the same software and camera, you can also use it (with the latest version of the software) to videoconference with someone with Windows and AOL Instant Messenger 5.5 software. For more information check out http://www.apple.com/ichat

Craig
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2004 :  02:09:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by Admin

I need to work out the kinks.
You can do that while the Alaska folks work out the Kinkos. (Sorry, I tried really hard to resist but to no avail.)

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2004 :  01:58:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Craig,
Yeah, that was a baaaaad pun, but it worked, so that makes ot OK.
Thanks for the info on the iSight camera working with PCs. I will check it out.
I did buy two iSight cameras, got them for a slight discount of about 20 bucks each as my wife is a teacher. So soon I will be able to test your theory (or is it fact) abouit compatability. Thanjks again for the help.
KArl

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2004 :  02:03:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Raymond,
Thanks for the offer. We will give you a try soon. First we(our group) need to bet to gether to determine where each of us is in our playing, , then decide what we want to learn. Then we will contact you and Bobby. Can't hurt to learn from more thanone person??? Or can it?
Karl

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2004 :  02:15:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Andy,
Thanks for the list of Alaskans. I will try to contact them and see if any are within driving distance.
Karl

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2004 :  03:19:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Karl, actually I meant that you can use an iSight on a Mac using iChat to connect to a PC running AIM 5.5 with a PC-compatible camera. I don't believe the iSight can be used with a PC at the moment...at least not until someone comes out with a Windows driver for it.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2004 :  3:06:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Craig and Raymond,
Last week I posted a note somehwre in this forum about not having had any response to my own introductory message back in February. In recent correspondence with Andy, he sent me a link where I could view my intro, and, embarassingly, your replies. Please forgive my lack of knowledge of the site that promped my erroneous assumption.
You guys are great, and I have been made to feel quite welcome over the past few weeks.
Thank you both.
Karl

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000