Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Share your favorite story...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2004 :  11:12:46 PM  Show Profile
Ah, Liko.

A man whose heart is twice the size of his
shirt!

Thanks Dusty, so good to see that picture.
Julie, dat you with that Hawaiian drum thingy
back there?
Mike

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2004 :  03:12:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
bwop,
thanks for the encouragement. No chance of me slacking off (pardon me) on this one. the music is in me, I would llove to come to the islands for a camp, learn from all you guys. this year is out, building some cabins for my retirement, and my son is with me for the first time in 2 years and will stay for 5 months, more than any year since my divorce. I can't afford to lose any time with him.
He has been a natural on guitar since he picked one up as a 10 year old. Trouble is, or, was, he was always into some different type of music than i was. Or, he would just pick up the guitar and start playing. Not anything you or I had ever heard before, just playing. rarely an off note, just working up and down the neck finding music in the wood. Mostly on electric. I haven't an original note in my body, and here he is improvising all over the place. Well, he is twenty now, stillplays the same way, making his own music, playing a few licks he likes from Phish or somebody. But, for the first time, we are now beginning to connect with music, and it sure is fun. You may remember from my story he was in the audience the night of my Hawaiian "debut", and has since tolerated my playing more. But the other night, i came up to our music room and he was doing his thing, so i picked up my resonator and slid along with his stuff, trying to accent some of his lines. It sort of worked, he liked it. So we tried another. Then we decided he would try to play along with me. Ke Aloha, of course, the one song I can play, and one he had at least heard before. I played the first verse, he chimed in with a harmony line on the next, by the end of the song he had worked the whole deal out in standard tuning! Kid's a freak!!! Almost makes me want to put the guitar down.
Almost. But, then, this is really cool, playing with your kid, not against him like we had before. So, next afternoon after work he comes up the stairs toting my jumbo that i keep tuned to open C or F wahine, whichever I want at the moment. He strummed it and said what tuning is this in? Hit it for me once....oh, that's open C. He sits down and starts playing right off the bat, on the 4 base strings! I had always used the top strings for melody, and the base was just there. All of a sudden here is a whole new aspect of this tuning, given me by my own flesh and blood, who had never played a note in it in his life. How do people do that??????
Among my projects of the last few months has been the organizing of several tab booklets I have written in over the years sitting in airports or on the beach, stuff I had come up with, more often stuff I had figured out of other artists. So I put all the open G in one book, open D in another, Open C in a third, etc., and for each a whole page or two of chords I had figured out or movable figures in each tuning so I could remember them. In ten minutes, my son almost doubled the number of chords I had accumulated over 8 years. He is either really good, or I stink!
I LOVE it!
I was lucky enough to have been a winner of last month's drawing on this site, and requested a Moses Kahumoku slack key CD. Got it today and played it in the car on the way home. Jethro (my son) really liked it. I think I may have found my learning partner:> (Hey, how do you get those silly smiley faces stuck on here, anyway?)
Karl
Frozen North

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

huiohana
Lokahi

115 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2004 :  04:56:12 AM  Show Profile
Karl,
You need to post a new changes message to get those smiley faces on the messages. Go ahead...it's fun!!!A hui hou...Keali'i K.

Edited by - huiohana on 04/13/2004 05:00:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2004 :  11:21:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Hey Karl, if you click on "Reply to Topic" (right above the "Quick Reply" box at the bottom of this page) or on the "Reply with Quote" icon (looks like a page with an arrow pointing to it, at the top of each post) then you'll see a whole bunch of smiley icons to the left of the message area that you can click on to add smileys to your post.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 04/13/2004 4:35:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

Stacey
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2004 :  11:56:00 AM  Show Profile
I just want to thank all you guys for sharing your wonderful stories of Aloha! I'm truly enjoying reading them, though I don't have any super fab stories to share of my own. Just inspiring workshop experiences with George Kahumoku Jr. and Keola Beamer, plus meeting various Hawaiian artists after their gigs ~ which still is really awesome to me! I did dig up an old archived post of mine (with pictures) that I wrote in 11-2002 after the the first Hawaiian gig I ever went to:
http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=490

My family and I are going to Maui next week for spring break and I'll have a lesson with Uncle George then. He's sooo nice to loan me a guitar for the trip so I don't have to haul one ~ so generous!!! I think I read that Rossasaurus will be in Maui at that same time. Perhaps I'll run into him and Sybil at Makana's show or something.

I just had to fly to So Cal last weekend for a family emergency and gate checked my guitar (Southwest Air). You should have seen the horror on my face in baggage claim when my guitar case came shooting down the steep conveyor belt ramp neck first! Then you should have seen my balancing & acrobatic act on the baggage carousel as I caught it before it hit the bottom! Phew! No damage done, but I was TICKED cuz they said they'd walk it up for me.
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2004 :  6:44:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Well, let's see if this works . All i see on my screen are a bunch of hieroglyphics (sp?) . But, that's cool .
Guess I'll find out tomorrow how well I did Hope I didn't mess up
Karl

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2004 :  7:37:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Well Karl, Piff will tell you that you completely messed up but the smileys came across just fine!

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 04/13/2004 7:38:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

Stacey
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2004 :  9:12:26 PM  Show Profile
Craig sez
quote:
Well Karl, Piff will tell you that you completely messed up

I've actually found cmdrpiffle very helpful and encouraging! Craig, I've noticed he mostly tells YOU that you completely messed up. Hee Hee! All in fun, I'm sure.

Nice smileys, Karl!

Edited by - Stacey on 04/13/2004 9:57:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2004 :  10:16:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Piff did use the smileys once... ONCE! (Bad Johnny Dangerously reference)

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Bwop
Lokahi

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2004 :  10:55:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bwop's Homepage
Aloha manawa elua e Karl,
When my sons were 8 & 10, they asked me to teach them how to play guitar. I started with a single finger G chord, and said we'd move on to the next step next week. They said, to wit, "Thanks anyway, but we'll just go ahead and learn a bunch more than you know much faster at a way more earlier age...". And they really did. I had made a concerted effort to expose them, from utero on, to myriad eclectic music genres (jug band, folk, bluegrass, "world music" (before that's what they called it), anything). They listened well, and, apparently, respoinded on a cellualar level (my son Kerry coiuld sing "Whoopie Ti Yi Yo" before he could say "Mama" or "Papa"). They've had bands (several at a time) ever since, and they do me the honor of letting me sit in occaisionally. Best of all, they're so into various music forms, they graciously have joined in our family ki ho'alu band ("Bwop And The Wing 'Ohana"), as well as a "world music for children and their parents" kinda band "The Wing String Thing". As the great Dr. Suess once said, "It is fun to have fun, but you have to know how...". What better way in the round world to share our history, our lineage, with our children than through music! (Dr. Suess also said, "If you never did these things, you should. These things are fun, and fun is good!").
As far as "emoticons", they seem (to me) to be as insideously vapid as plug-in air freshners (e kala mai if anybody really likes those...). Nothing (to me) seems to be as emotive as the, well, if not in person playing music, the written word itself. Is there anyone out there who could waap my jaw by writting a post using ONLY emoticons???

Bwop
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2004 :  12:25:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by Stacey

I've actually found cmdrpiffle very helpful and encouraging!
Yes, but he's deathly allergic to smileys.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2004 :  10:43:26 AM  Show Profile
Bwop,

I admit to being an emoticon user, although I do try to limit the use to some extent. I will hide behind my double-X chromosomes - it's a girly thing, like dotting "I"s with hearts. I agree that it would be best if my prose were emotive enough to stand on its own, but I have found that in the absence of vocal and body-language cues, it is sometimes helpful to have the emoticon to indicate subtextual meaning, particularly the "winky" face to indicate "just kidding!" where offense might otherwise be taken. I have been on some boards where a statement was made that (to me, and presumably to the author) was obviously in jest, but someone took it wrong and got all huhu. So I look at it as something of a disclaimer. Also, I have been known to use a string of happy faces to express my glee in the absence of a web-cam to show me twirling around the room in paroxysms of joy, as when a ki ho`alu performance actually makes its way to my part of the world.

So far, Piffle has let them slide....

Me ke aloha,

Debbie
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2004 :  12:38:48 PM  Show Profile
All of creation mocks me. :)

Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2004 :  1:05:42 PM  Show Profile
Just so you all know...

I was once an emoticon user. Sure, I didn't see any harm in it.
Every now and then I'd nod my feelings with a harmless splash of
color. I could always go back to colons and parentheses. What was
the harm in a little bright yellow now and then right?

Soon I'd notice that I was 'thinkin' about maybe just trying a
different color. You know, just try it. Once. It's not a problem or anything. I just wanna see what maybe...ohhh, the green one with the tongue was like.

Later, I'd find myself thinking about emoticons all the time. Now I wasn't using them mind you, but I was thinking about them. A lot.
My use of descriptive prose, and the occasional colon/parentheses soon fell by the wayside. I was on my way down man.

A year later I had lost my job, house, and everything else.
I was mired in emoticon use. In fact, I was now breaking into others
wordprocessors and e-mails and adding emoticons to their work.
Hmmm....this is interesting. "Ted from development reports that
quarterly numbers are going to be 12% higher than same quarter
a year ago".....ya, 12% higher with a nice big SMILEY CLOWN FACE, AND A PINK SURPRISE! and maybe just a SAD BLUE, and a couple of EIGHT BALLS. Ya, eight balls , 3 of em, right after Ted's quarterly numbers that outta do it.

I was clearly out of control. I needed help.

When the end came, it was ugly. Fortunately, the Government was willing to hold the trial, 'offshore' in Barbados. This kept a lot of the damaging information about emoticons out of the US press.

One thing about those Federal 'programs', they do seem to work.
Since those days, I've only had a single reported use, and it was
an informed decision on my part. (Johnny Dangerously)

So, Keali'i and Karl...be careful. Sure it's fun at first. Everyone does it. Wheres the harm, right?
;)

Go to Top of Page

milikona
Aloha

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2004 :  1:32:14 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kealii,
Reading your posts, you seem to be familar with many local Hawaiian musicians.
I was wondering if you know what happen to Steven Hall a local guitar player who backed up many Hawaiian performers including Martin Pahinui?

Milt
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000