Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Kevin Brown is da bes!!!!!!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2004 :  11:09:22 AM  Show Profile
I'm sure that no matter what music camp we attended, we had a great time. I chose the Aloha Music Camp on Moloka'i mainly out of tradition. It was there that I met the most wonderful and kind person anyone could hope to meet in this lifetime: Kevin Brown. His aloha, kokua, encouragement, inspirational playing and beautiful voice kept me and a few others up 'til 2:30 four nights in a row. Who needs sleep anyway?

Thank you Kev. I love you brah. You da bes.

Kawika

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2004 :  2:22:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Kevin - I will second that.

Mahalo Kevin for everything. Don't think I can ever say enough mahalos for your friendship, music, aloha and support of this website.

You have a beautiful `ohana and my `ohana had a wonderful time spending time with you.

You guys out there know the music of Kevin and Ikaika Brown? Oh you should! And there's more... those at the Maui slack key festival learned that Kevin's daughter Ka`ena Brown is their secret weapon! What a voice! Please sing more Ka`ena!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2004 :  8:21:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hey big dog! it was great being your neighbor at AMC in downtown kaupoa!

kevin is my idol too - he's the best. and, you can't forget his contribution to cultural education by accompanying us on the middle of the night bread run and the lesson on how to eat kanemitsu's best.

aloha to dave and to kevin,
keith

Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2004 :  10:04:41 PM  Show Profile
Breadrun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Plain with butter, dipped in hot cocoa. Yum! Ah, the nightlife in Moloka`i.

Keith, it was truly a pleasure getting to know you. You still owe me an Uke lesson.

Mahalo,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2004 :  01:02:33 AM  Show Profile
To the "AMC Ohana"

Things will never be the same since i got back from molokai. I have truely made new friends, and got to spend time with old friends too.

Everyone made it so easy to teach, They worked together as a group and waited for those that was having to spend more time on the song. It makes it easy for a teacher because, everybody's on the same page.

I could see the desire in each student, and how much they wanted to learn. I believe if someone really want's to learn, give him or her your fullest attention, and to make sure when they walk away, they will have that same feel and understanding as you have. ( the teacher.)

Kawika, both Mark's, Keith, Rich, Ka Welina, Duke, Playing with you,I have also learned a lot. Even as a teacher, there is no end to learning. All of you have your own style and what makes it great is you all play "nahenahe". Mahalo for making my stay on molokai a memorable one.
It will forever remain in my thoughts and heart forever.

My aloha to, Liko, Ka Liko, Byron, Keola, Lelehua, Dennis, Mark, and Aunty Nona, Through the week, I have grown to love, and respect, these teacher's too. To Annie, mahalo for keeping on top of everything.

What other place to meet and make new friends, then Molokai.
Know wonder they call it the "Friendly Isle".

And yes! The "Bread Run" was the Bomb!!!!!

Me Ke Aloha
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2004 :  12:28:04 PM  Show Profile
It is so nice to see that Kevin is getting the wide notice that he deserves. Sarah and I have known him for 8 years and he, along with Uncle Sol Kawaihoa, is the reason that Sarah (especially) and I have changed our lives. Kevin is a true genius at making the whole group sound the best it can be.

Credit is due to Keola and Mark, and this creation of Andy's, for providing the exposure.

BTW, we call Kevin "The Mayor of Wai`ehu". Everybody knows him and he can't walk down the streets of Wai`ehu or Wailuku without being stopped for a talk. Takes him a loong time to get anywhere :-)
And, I hope you got him to talk story with you. Not only does he know lots of stuff that nobody else does, but he is truly funny and a comic actor.

We wish we could have been there with you.

...Reid

Go to Top of Page

hakeedude
Aloha

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2004 :  6:09:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit hakeedude's Homepage
Kevin-I have to echo everyone else's sentiments. Just got home this afternoon after the long red-eye flight to the midwest, and it is your teaching sessions, your kindnesses both in word and deed that I remember above all else.
And yes, Ka'ena should definitely join you and Ikaika more often! It was a treat getting to see/hear the 3 of you twice within one week!
All my best to you and your family.
...Michael from Cincinnati

Michael
Hawai`i Pictures including 2004 Aloha Music Camp at: http://community.webshots.com/user/hakeedude
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2004 :  10:22:44 PM  Show Profile
I will join the chorus... Yes ... Kevin is Great.

He was the best prepared teacher at George's Workshop last
year, with both TAB AND A CD of the tune played correctly
to hand to each student!

And, yes He is the kindest, most generous person I have yet
met in Hawaii.

...Lawrence

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2004 :  4:10:59 PM  Show Profile
Aloha käkou,

Yes, my vote too! Kevin is da bes!!! *Thanks, Kevin, for everything!* Like the others here, I cannot say enough about his kind, generous, and patient nature, nevermind his beautiful playing and singing.

Kevin has helped and encouraged me since the time I first started slack key. It's meant a great deal to me. I'd never played guitar before, but no matter, he is gifted at seeing where other musicians are, and he can meet you at whatever level you are. He has so much experience and knowledge, it's a privilege to be on the receiving end. And he kept us in stitches with some of his stories — I bet the Molokai Bread Run is gonna be one more :-D

As Kevin's brother Sheldon once told us, "Kevin is one of a kind". I think maybe Sheldon meant it a bit teasingly (Kevin is his little brother), but it's really true.

many mahalos to you, Kevin!

me ke aloha nö,
Sarah

Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2004 :  9:21:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
I'd like to add my vote – Kevin Brown has one huge heart!

I don't think he ever sleeps -- no matter what time I was walking around Kaupoa Beach I'd see Kevin sitting with one or two guitarists; showing a song, helping with fingering, or just sharing a tune. I was on the dawn patrol this year -- something about sleeping footsteps from the beach makes you raise early -- and Kevin always was up before me. And yes, when the Bad Boys thought we put the camp to bed with a midnight jam session, Kevin was just warming up with the Big Dogs.

How do you do it, bra'?

For me, the highlight of the Aloha Music Camp was playing one-on-one with Kevin -- what's Hawaiian for "simpatico"? -- while we talked story with Joan Kalahiki... wife of ‘ukulele legend Harry "Mungo" Kalahiki; one of the top 20 women surfers in the world back in the day; and percussionist on recordings by Sonny Chillingworth.

Talk about chicken skin!

Mahalo nui loa, Kevin. I sure wish we lived closer to each other, cuz I want to be in your band. I'll even carry the gear.

me ke aloha,

Mark

Go to Top of Page

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2004 :  12:28:07 AM  Show Profile
I gotta chime in here and add my sincere praise and thanks to Kevin for all the personal attention and aloha. What a week! Kevin--watching you play and listening to your singing has really inspired me. At hula practice the other night, I felt as if I was almost floating around the music we played. Mahalo nui loa. It's hard getting back into the swing of things with my mind and heart lingering on Moloka'i. I can't wait to make it over for a Saturday Waihe'e kanikapila session!

Me ke aloha

Duke
Go to Top of Page

hakeedude
Aloha

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2004 :  08:28:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit hakeedude's Homepage
"I can't wait to make it over for a Saturday Waihe'e kanikapila session!"

Duke-you are so lucky you live Hawai`i, even if you do have to make that long, w i n d i n g drive to get to Waihe`e.

It was a pleasure meeting and playing slack with you in classes last week. Michael (the quiet one)
Go to Top of Page

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2004 :  12:22:24 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Michael! Yes, good to meet you too. Hope to see you there next year. --duke
Go to Top of Page

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2004 :  4:38:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
Yeah, when I first met Kevin at George's camp I though he was the camp's reverend... Take good care of yourself man. The world needs more people like you.
Go to Top of Page

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2004 :  5:36:20 PM  Show Profile
Yup to all the above---Kevin is one of the reasons I'm starting to save ye pennies for next year. Mahalo nui loa!!

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2004 :  4:00:51 PM  Show Profile
OK, here's my $0.02 worth - Kevin is one of the nicest people I've ever met. I got to meet him at Keith and Suzie's, on Maui, before the camps began. I got to jam with him (and Keith) and got a sneak preview of the material he was going to teach at Aloha Camp. I feel very honored. We sure wish we could have been at two places at the same time.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000