Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 BAHMI Big Mahalos
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2004 :  11:31:43 PM  Show Profile
I want to thank Patrick, Cyril, Dennis, David, Herb and the whole supporting crew of BAHMI for putting on a superb set of workshops. Last night at the Hukilau was outstanding: ono grinds, ono music and ono ohana. What a special treat. Mahalo!!!!!!!!!

Last but not least, it was great to put faces to the Taropatch aliases. Now when I wan go beef, I know who I'm going up against (or with).

Ke akua pu,

Dave

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2004 :  12:05:46 AM  Show Profile
Hey, glad you had a good time. Funny that you should mention meeting TaroPatch ohana: I was minding my own business at the Aloha Festival on the Wharf at Santa Cruz, but who should come up to me and introduce himself but hawnboy Richard. He said he recognized me from the photo on my profile. We had fun getting to know each other, and listening to Cyril Pahinui play. Which brings to mind, I feel somewhat disappointed when I read an interesting post and check the poster's profile, only to see that there is absolutely no info on that person. Difficult to pursue that ohana feeling without some info.

The more I get to see the Next Generation, and other musicians, the more I realize that this music is far from dead! A great big mahalo to all of you who strive to keep the music alive!

Aloha, Julie
Go to Top of Page

enr1co
Aloha

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2004 :  01:01:36 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by `Ilio Nui

I want to thank Patrick, Cyril, Dennis, David, Herb and the whole supporting crew of BAHMI for putting on a superb set of workshops. Last but not least, it was great to put faces to the Taropatch aliases.

Cannot state it much better than Dave- MUCH MAHALOS to ALL for
a memorable weekend!
(only regret not being unable to make it to the evening
social activities due to some "work" stuff in the way)

It was a honor to spend time with the Masters within
an intimate classroom setting as they shared their skills,
stories and encouragement- both inspirational and entertaining!

The opportunity to meet the talented Taropatch Ohana was equally special- Its always a privilage to spend time with folks who share the passion and love of the music!

Look foward to future kanikapilas with my new friends and the next BAHMI!

In the meantime, boy, do I need to practice...

Thanks to Tim for shooting the photos!

Edited by - enr1co on 08/23/2004 02:09:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

bobby3dog
Akahai

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2004 :  11:10:47 AM  Show Profile
I too want to thank everyone who,clearly, worked so hard and gave so much of themselves in order give such a wonderfull gift to the bay area slack key community.For me it was a dream come true and I have to think that I'm not the only one of us who felt this.

b3d
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2004 :  12:16:01 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo Patrick and the "guys" for the great time. We missed Keoki, but I know he had some important family business. Finally got to meet Catheglass, BWOP, Ilio Nui, Rossarius, RJS and the crew from Grass Valley. Got to see Stacey again. What a trip. I was overwhelmed by the talent of the ohana. If the TaroPatch CD is even close to the mark, we'll all be impressed by the collective skill. I've pretty much stayed away from the Maui and Molokai camps because I didn't think I'd learn that much given the format (I'm pretty much a 1-1 guy with respect to lessons). This weekend changed my attitude about the whole process - Yeah, I know -- Dusty and Bob and Keith have been telling me this for a couple of years. Thanks to BWOP and Dave and Raymond for the suggestions and playing for the group. Thanks to Cathe for "Patchwork Quilt" (Uncle Dennis loved the story). Aloha! Chunk's on his way to the Big Island.
Go to Top of Page

bobby3dog
Akahai

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2004 :  12:38:33 PM  Show Profile
oops, pressed the wrong button! I also want to thank all the people who who came to recieve this wonderful gift; I was so touched by the graciousness with wich you all accepted it.
Up till now, my personal slack key journey has been following a kind of kapakahi path, but this morning after I woke up , got ready for work and sat down for my early morning guitar practice, I realized that the path had straightend out; again MAHALO NUI

Allan (b3d)

b3d
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2004 :  2:00:12 PM  Show Profile
So, Terry is "chunky" -- sometimes connections are hard to come by.
The two days were a real treat -- I add my thanks to Patrick, the instructors -- and everyone else who had to work "behind the scenes" to make it a success. Mahalo a nui loa.
Go to Top of Page

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2004 :  4:57:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage
I think Patrick's favorite word is "Awesome" but it doesn't even begin to describe how great the BAHMI weekend was. It was a pleasure to meet so many very nice people, and I totally appreciated all of your willingness to share your music and the talk story.

A big Mahalo to Patrick, Dennis, Cyril, David and Herb for the information and especially the inspiration they so willing gave.

Go to Top of Page

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2004 :  12:04:47 AM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
Ditto, ditto, ditto...

Thanks to everyone involved setting it all up; pat, Craig, Jennifer, Norbert, the uncles, Herb & David, the FOX theater, da Hukilau palo Alto.

Special thanks to Cyril & Dennis for sharing their love of kihoalu with all of us, and so openly. I feel so fortunate to learn from you both. Mahalo nui.

Was great meeting some of the SoCal TPer's too.

Ross-asaurus
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2004 :  01:33:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I'm assuming there's another Craig involved because I had nothing to do with it.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2004 :  02:47:56 AM  Show Profile

Aloha kakou!

Is it gilding the lily to add another mahalo nui loa to everyone for making this such a special weekend?
to Uncle/Rev Dennis for a great class, to Herb and Kawika for another great class, to Patrick for all the work setting it up, and maintaining his sunny smile throughout the weekend, not to mention the very funny characterizations at da Hukilau Saturday night. To Uncle Cyril just for all his warm sharing, and everyone for hteir aloha.
Also to great to meet SoCal players and see so many old friends.

My spirit is brighter.

cathe
Go to Top of Page

hwnslacker
Lokahi

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2004 :  12:19:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit hwnslacker's Homepage  Send hwnslacker an AOL message
Aloha All!!

We slept pretty much the whole day Monday! We injoyed the Institute very much and spent half the night figuring out how we can make it better! All of you did great and what a wonderful turnout!

I am happy to announce the Southern California Hawaiian Music Institute (confirmed) which will take place on January 15th and 16th, at Whittier College and a big concert on Sunday. Registration begins on Oct 1st, Taropatch members will have priority registration. The Pacific Northwest Hawaiian Music Institute will take place January 8-9 in Seattle (TBA) and the BAHMI will be on Jan. 21-22.

Mahalo again for all your support and ideas, Midwest and East coast we will hit during the summer if there is interest? Is there interest? Let me know!

Aloha!

Patrick Landeza
www.patricklandeza.com
Go to Top of Page

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2004 :  4:39:12 PM  Show Profile
Patrick-

There is interest!!!! There is interest!!!! Heck, yeah, there is interest!!!! (At least on my part....any of you Ohio folks second the motion?) Just PLEASE pick sometime other than mid-June....

A hui hou,

Debbie

Go to Top of Page

hwnslacker
Lokahi

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2004 :  7:29:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit hwnslacker's Homepage  Send hwnslacker an AOL message
Aloha Deb!

AWESOME!! Let's hear it and I will look into it ASAP! We would like to come down in March but I need to see if there is interest first here on taropatch. We may go to Chicago then if there is interest on East Coast we will head there as well...

Let's hear it gang!

Aloha!

Patrick Landeza
www.patricklandeza.com
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2004 :  7:31:53 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like everyone had a great time, and all of us up here in the Pacific Northwest look forward to the Pacific Northwest Hawaiian Music Institute in Seattle January 8th and 9th. We'll be watching for your informational post!

Aloha,

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

elikapeka
Aloha

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2004 :  9:53:59 PM  Show Profile
The Oregon duo has safely arrived home, fueled by rice crackers, music and memories. Maggie and Elizabeth had a smooth trip back up to the PNW, and giggled, hummed, remembered and actually set a couple of goals for our continuing work here - yes, scales are part of the upcoming practices, sigh.
Mahalo (yet again) to all who worked so hard for the undoubted success of the first BAHMI, and to the Masters-at-work - - it was truly a significant event.
Elikapeka (aka Elizabeth-from-Oregon)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000