Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 BAHMI Big Mahalos
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2004 :  09:23:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage
One item that Dennis and Cyril both stressed was that you learn by playing with others. Even if you can't make good licks you take one anyone anyway, as your contribution to the group is expected.

Everytime you play in a group of mixed talent, you come away with a little more experience. I think it was Dennis that said we don't get to jam enough here on the mainland. Jammin is probably the most important ingrediant in learning to play slack key.

How we played as a group and taking a lick was something I had never done before. It was most nerve wracking, fumbling and embarassing for me, but what an experience. Thanks to those in the group that gave their skills to the session, I came away with a better knowledge of what this was all about, an eagerness to do it again, and knowing that I can do better next time. I don't think that would have happened if I was in a group that had the same skill level I'm at.

Dennis and Cyril spoke about how they learned by "watching and listening" So lets not lose sight that no matter what skill level you are at, there is always someone "watching and listening" to you. If you are a beginner there is always another beginner who knows less than you, and probably considers you to be advanced.

I truly appreciate being able to join more experienced players in a class setting. Shareing, along with the "watching" and "listening" is the spirit of our music.
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2004 :  10:37:01 AM  Show Profile
Well said Don. Thank you. Thank you for your contribution in class. Your playing was beautiful and brave, as was everyone's.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2004 :  02:33:04 AM  Show Profile

Aloha kakou:

Interesting thread, this......I agree with Julie that it's a pain in the okole to attend a paid class with folks who haven't ever touched the instrument, sometimes the solution is up to the teacher; dividing into groups, or reserving some time for the more accomplished, etc. I do that in my glass classes.
At the same time, there needs to be some flexibility in registration - at my first AMC slack key class, I wasn't a complete beginner, yet not an intermediate either. What to do? I chose the Iintermediate Slack Key Class, and although some of the material was tough for me, I learned a tremendous amount. Also, some of the guys in the class were really helpful (you know who you were!) and made the time fly by. I'm still grateful for all the help freely given. <BEG>
I thought the descriptions of the classes at BAHMI were quite complete, and made it easy to choose the appropriate class level.

cathe
Go to Top of Page

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2004 :  4:08:41 PM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
Great topic!

I felt Pat's class descriptions were accurate. He also said he "didn't want to see me in his beginning class", so that personal push from a teacher who knows your capabilities is pretty useful.

One thing George did in 2002 was have the real beginners like me come early to cover all the most basic stuff like getting tuned, or learning a simple turn-around or two. That saved those further-along the yawn of sitting through that stuff. Perhaps having the first day for bare-bones beginners classes, say Friday afternoon-evening.

Another idea might be a questionairre as part of registration; questions like:

What materials do you use?
Ozzies book
Patricks book/DVD
Keolas book/DVD
Marks book
other

Do you know what a turnaround is?
Can you play one or two?
Do you know your scales in Taropatch? can you play them?
Do you read TAB?
Can you tune your guitar?
Previous musical experience?
Can you improvise?

you get the idea.

I also hope that the instructor would feel comfortable suggesting someone move to a class(if it's concurrent) where they might be better matched.

Like Enrico, I found material I could handle, some I could barely handle, and something to work on in the future; I like it that way the best. I'm curious how many would sign-up for a class that was just called "advanced" anyway. Alot of us would probably say "oh, I'm not advanced, I can't take that class."

As Ozzie once said(sorta); if you learn only one thing in a class then it's all been worth it.

Ross
Go to Top of Page

UncaJohn
Aloha

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2004 :  10:49:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit UncaJohn's Homepage
Hello,
My wife and I had a great time at La Honda yesterday. Just the single mention of a BAHMI at the concert got me here to taropatch and to join this forum. I look forward to the norcal event in January.

Have you found a place yet? If not, I may be able to help.

John

Let's go back to the valley, one more time. = ) ...Ekolu
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2004 :  11:45:16 AM  Show Profile
Patrick sez:
quote:
I am happy to announce the Southern California Hawaiian Music Institute (confirmed) which will take place on January 15th and 16th, at Whittier College

We will be in Kaua`i during this time... If there is anyway to be dissapointed about a Hawai`i trip, this is it!
Actually I'm not dissapointed about being in Kaua`i.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2004 :  3:52:20 PM  Show Profile
E Ilio Nui, my sincere apologies for bringing up "ratings". I never meant to discount the BAHMI workshop, as everyone I have talked to absolutely loved it. My only wish was that EVERY workshop would go as well as planned. I would never purposely take away from something as interesting as workshops, I am addicted as you must know.

Patrick, great job!

Me ke aloha pumehana, Julie
Go to Top of Page

Lopaka
Aloha

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2004 :  2:28:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Lopaka a Yahoo! Message
Shame on me for being so tardy with this... been way to busy with other stuff (business travel, weddings, etc.) and just now making time to get back in touch with things that matter (e.g. taropatch)

Mahalo to everyone... Patrick, Uncle Dennis, Uncle Cyril, David, Herb and all of the workshop participants! It was great. I learned a lot and really appreciated everything. Plus you can't beat the people at these events. Everyone is so friendly, supportive and helpful. Definitely looking forward to the time around.

H a w a i i a n ..at heart!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000