Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 KoAloha Q&A
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

KoAloha
Akahai

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2004 :  04:06:49 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone. I was doing some random websearching on KoAloha tonight and stumbled on this forum. It's not often that you get to "meet the maker," so I'd like to try something out.

My name is Paul and I run the shop of our family business, KoAloha Ukulele. My father, Alvin, is the founder. My brother, Alan, is THE BOSS.

Anyway, go ahead and ask me a question and I'll do my best to answer it. Don't ask for any trade secrets, though. Those cost money.

Seriously, though, ask me anything about KoAloha, or even something about general ukulele construction. Like I said, I'll do my best to answer and we'll see how this topic goes.

Aloha,
Paul

Juan
Aloha

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2004 :  4:03:36 PM  Show Profile
Hey Paul,
Aloha! I previously asked on this forum which ukes were tops. Of course there's lots of makers, intro ukes, mid-range and those that the pros stand by. I took a serious look at two - based on price, reputation, etc. - and decided on two potentials, Kamaka and Koaloha. I had the chance to visit McAbes Guitar in Santa Monica, CA, and compared both Kamaka and your uke in the tenor size and after about two hours of picking, strumming, examining, holding, walking around, sitting down again, comparing, listening, playing harmonics, and just admiring both instruments, I went with the Koaloha (dated June 2004). Each uke had a few little things that made me put some checks against purchasing it and many big things that were in each uke's favor. I loved the Koaloha's sound, tone and the unique bracing. There was one small spot that didn't have any finish on it but like I said, it was a small check. I have one question that maybe you can answer on tuning as well. I don't know if you are familiar with Bob Brozman's Ukulele Tunes instructional video but he's playing a National Uke tuned to ADF#B. I tried to match this tuning but I'm really hesitant to tune the Koaloha that high on the 4th string. Instead, I tuned it to C tuning (GCEA). Without seeing the vid, is it the case that he's playing a smaller uke that is tuned that high? What tunings do you recommend for the tenor Koaloha? Overall, I am really pleased with the uke. It's a beautifully crafted instrument and I'm proud to own it. Mahalo in advance,
Juan
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2004 :  4:23:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hi Paul,

Welcome to the forum. A couple years back, I almost visited your shop because my friend Vince, told me about it. He must be a friend of yours or your brother? Hopefully, I'll make it another time and meet you in person.

Thanks for dropping in and inviting `ukulele conversation. Hopefully, some of the `ukulele builders and players here will have some good questions for you.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2004 :  4:59:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Juan, I assume you know that ADF#B is the equivalent of GCEA with a capo on the 2nd fret. In other words, you can play a GCEA-tuned uke just the same as a ADF#B and the only difference is that you'll be playing a whole tone lower.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 10/07/2004 5:02:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

KoAloha
Akahai

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2004 :  7:12:15 PM  Show Profile
Hi Juan,

First off, thank you for choosing KoAloha.

Like cpatch has already mentioned, ADF#B is the same relative tuning as GCEA. We tune our ukes to GCEA, from the factory, but you can tune them to ADF#B without a problem. It's really a matter of preference. We also tune our tenors to GCEA.

Aloha,
Paul
Go to Top of Page

goto636
Aloha

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2004 :  11:56:42 PM  Show Profile
Hi KoAloha,

I noticed on a website that sells KoAloha ukes, that they have a KoAloha super concert available (accepting reservations). Is this a uke size that you make on a regular basis or just an occasional special run?

I like the idea of a concert body with a tenor neck and wondered if they’ll be around regularly.
Go to Top of Page

KoAloha
Akahai

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2004 :  02:12:17 AM  Show Profile
We added the extended neck concert to our normal product line, so it should be available regularly. Originally, we built a special custom for Daniel Ho, with a tenor neck and concert body combo.

quote:
Originally posted by goto636

Hi KoAloha,

I noticed on a website that sells KoAloha ukes, that they have a KoAloha super concert available (accepting reservations). Is this a uke size that you make on a regular basis or just an occasional special run?

I like the idea of a concert body with a tenor neck and wondered if they’ll be around regularly.

Go to Top of Page

Herb Jr
Aloha

4 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2004 :  3:35:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Herb Jr's Homepage
Hey Paul,
Welcome.

Herb, Jr.
www.herbohtajr.com
www.jrjrjr.com
Go to Top of Page

River
Aloha

1 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2004 :  11:41:37 PM  Show Profile
Hi Paul,

I am interested in one of your concert models but am having a hard time finding any dealers that have any instruments in stock. Is there a reason instruments are scarce? Also is there any difference sound wise between the all Koa models and the models with mahogany necks?

Thanks for your attention,
Ken

quote:
Originally posted by KoAloha

Hi everyone. I was doing some random websearching on KoAloha tonight and stumbled on this forum. It's not often that you get to "meet the maker," so I'd like to try something out.

My name is Paul and I run the shop of our family business, KoAloha Ukulele. My father, Alvin, is the founder. My brother, Alan, is THE BOSS.

Anyway, go ahead and ask me a question and I'll do my best to answer it. Don't ask for any trade secrets, though. Those cost money.

Seriously, though, ask me anything about KoAloha, or even something about general ukulele construction. Like I said, I'll do my best to answer and we'll see how this topic goes.

Aloha,
Paul

Go to Top of Page

KoAloha
Akahai

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2004 :  02:27:58 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ken,

Our ukes sell pretty fast, once they hit the dealers, so it's hard for them to keep them in stock. I believe Elderly Instruments will let you now when the model you want is in stock, if you call and ask them.

There's a small difference between the koa and mahogany necks. Generally, the mahogany models tend to be a little more clear in tone, while the koa ukes have a little more power. As far as what's "better," it comes down to personal preference.

Aloha,
Paul
Go to Top of Page

konacat
Aloha

36 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2004 :  5:02:49 PM  Show Profile
Hi Paul,

I was on Oahu in May and had the opportunity to stop by Koaloha factory. The map quest map I had was not too accurate but I found the location easily enough. While I was there I met Alan, your mother, and either your sister or a cousin. Everyone was so kind and helpful and patient with someone who is obviously not very musical. The timing was right and I was able to purchase an extended neck soprano that was a second. I really love the ukulele and it is a pleasure to play. While in Hawaii I went to several ukulele manufactures and many shops checking and testing the ukuleles and the Koaloha was among the top of the list. It is hard to beat the combination of quality, sound, feel, and price. Unless you have a bundle of money and can wait for a custom ukulele then I would certainly suggest that you take a serious look at the Koaloha brand. Now if I can ever learn how to properly tune with the Schaller tuners I would be ok. Say hello to your mom and I’ll drop by next time I’m on Oahu.

Philip Perdue

Edited by - konacat on 10/29/2004 5:03:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

Craig
Aloha

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2004 :  12:26:48 AM  Show Profile
Sorry about the previous post. I was having a little problem remembering my password. ('Test' post deleted by Admin)

Anyway.......... here's a couple tunes I did on my lil' ol' Koaloha soprano:

http://members.cox.net/swingbros/Mp3s/Whispering1.mp3

http://members.cox.net/priorcraig/Personal/Everybody%20Loves%20My%20Baby.mp3

As you can hear, there are intonation/playability issues as I get further up its lil' ol' neck.

I'd appreciate suggestions.

Thank you,

Craig.

Craig P.
Go to Top of Page

kahealani
Akahai

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2004 :  01:58:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit kahealani's Homepage
It sounded really good! Did you add two tracks on the first one? A rhythm and a lead?

The second one sounded great! I liked the tremolo in the beginning and all of the chords in the song as well.

Awesome!!

Brittni Paiva
www.brittnipaiva.com
www.myspace.com/brittnipaiva
Go to Top of Page

Craig
Aloha

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2004 :  12:54:10 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, kahealani.

I didn't add tracks to either of these. In both cases I just turned on my software to "record" and kept trying until I got a cut a I liked. Incidentally, I used plastic fingerpicks which can be a little "clacky", but I didn't think they were too distracting.

Probably the answer to my question is that the soprano is a little tiny for my huge hands and I'd be better off with a tenor. A shame, though, because in the lower register this lil' Koaloha soprano is a very recordable instrument: nice even tone, perky, lots of fun.

Maybe it's best to use this one as a rhythm instrument using open position chords.

Craig P.
Go to Top of Page

Dominator
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2004 :  2:59:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dominator's Homepage
Craig,
Great sounding stuff. I too thought that the first track was overdubbed. Very good playing to play all that at once. Very Nice. Can you put it on paper in tab form for all of us to benefit from? I know I would benefit from working on the first tune and I am sure others would to.
Dominator

www.dominator.ukeland.com
www.myspace.com/dominatoruke
Practice makes Practice Perfect!
Go to Top of Page

KoAloha
Akahai

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2004 :  3:34:18 PM  Show Profile
Philip - Thanks for the kind words. Definitely come by, next time you're in town.

Craig - Sounds great. Have you tried changing strings? They are the main culprit when our ukes develope intonation problems. We have a custom made, (in house) fretting saw, that it accurate to .001". All of the slots are cut at one time, so all of our fretboards come out exactly the same. The fretboards are then attached to the body and the bridges are set using a jig. We very rarely have intonation problems due to the instrument itself, so the first thing I suggest to any customer with intonations concerns is to change the strings. That usually works 99% of the time.

Other factors that can affect the intonation are the saddle and nut height, as well as the size of the instrument, relative to your hand. If you are uncomfortable fretting chords in the higher register, it will be more difficult to hold them properly. It gets harder, if the strings are set higher than you are comfortable with.

Anyway, if you have any other questions or concerns, you can post them here, or go to our website and send me an e-mail.

Aloha,
Paul
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000