Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 KoAloha Q&A
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Craig
Aloha

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2004 :  01:00:02 AM  Show Profile
Hi, KoAloha:

I apologize if it appeared that I suggested something was wrong with the intonation of the instrument. I realize KoAlohas are made to exacting specifications and, speaking as the owner of a humble little soprano, I appreciate that!

I think the problem is this. I keep the action very high because if I reduce it I get some fret buzz. A couple years ago I wrote to your company and a gentleman by the name of Alan K. Okami very kindly mailed me some replacement saddles. I used the highest one I was provided.

I don't mind the high action because it really allows the instrument to project. Unfortunately, if I fret higher up the neck, I think the higher action pulls the string a little out of tune.

I love this instrument for chords in the lower positions. It has a bright, perky, lovely sound. I'm experimenting right now on a uke/bass backup to Tickling the Strings/Honolulu March (steel guitar). If I get something listenable I'll post the link.

The KoAloha has a wonderful sound. A little frustrating to get and keep in tune... but that's the nature of ukes. I knew the job was dangerous when I took it.

Thanks,

Craig P.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2004 :  4:36:21 PM  Show Profile
Paul,
Say Hi to Bruddah Alan for me (CAPT Mike). I toured the factory two years ago and purchased a Tenor Uke from you-all. What can you tell us about Worth Strings? I understand that is what Herb Ohta Jr uses them on his KoAloha -- does Daniel Ho as well? I have some of the synthetic strings you carried for a while but don't like the "sticky" feeel when trying to slide up or down a fret. The black Hilo strings don't have the same tone.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

KoAloha
Akahai

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  09:35:33 AM  Show Profile
Hi Mike!

Worth Strings are my personal favorite. The tone that they produce is bright and clear, and they are more responsive than the standard black nylons.

I mounted Worth on Daniel and Herb's ukes and they both love the strings. We don't officially carry the line yet, but be looking for a KoAloha Worth set soon.

Aloha,
Paul
Go to Top of Page

Tommy
Akahai

USA
72 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  1:21:48 PM  Show Profile
Paul,
Last night I saw a concert billed as HAWAI`I CALLS...WITH A MESSAGE OF ALOHA. An excellent musician played a KoAloha tenor all night as it sweetly filled the room with sound. It was a good room too--Carnagie Hall! Quite a feather in your cap. Do you know the player's name. The program was pretty sketchy, it lists a piano player, Aaron Sala; and the only guy who played the piano was the uke player for most of the show.
I admire your instruments.
A hui ho,
Tommy
Go to Top of Page

KoAloha
Akahai

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  6:31:16 PM  Show Profile
Hi Tommy!

I don't know who it was, but that's really nice to know. It's amazing to see what skilled musicians can accomplish, with such a humble instrument. I don't think anyone would even dream of playing the ukulele at Carnegie Hall back in the 50's, but the little four string has come a long way since then. I think it's really nice that a lot of modern musicians are breaking the barriers of the perception of what the ukulele can accomplish.

Aloha,
Paul
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2004 :  05:31:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
Tommy,

Yes, Aaron was playing a Koaloha uke. I'm not that familiar with ukes, but I had a chance to fiddle with it a little bit. It's a nice sound. There are some really nice ukes out there these days.

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/
Go to Top of Page

Tommy
Akahai

USA
72 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2004 :  1:27:55 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo Paul for you response. I've loved every KoAloha `ukulele that I've heard. Thanks also to Darin for letting us know that it was Aaron playing the tenor. Darin, were you the slack key artist featured? (If so great job) We haven't met yet, but I hope that will change at the HCF hula/kanikapila on Tues.
Tommy
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2004 :  2:05:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
Yes, that was me. I'm looking forward to meeting you too on Tuesday. Andy should be there too.

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2004 :  8:18:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Darin,

You are the man. Meant to call you that night but it got late. Heard you were great. See you and Tommy on Tues.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

KoAloha
Akahai

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2004 :  5:57:19 PM  Show Profile
By Aaron, that wouldn't happen to be Aaron Mahi, would it?
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2005 :  9:53:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I just returned from a workshop with Herb Ohta Jr. and David Kamakahi, who both play Koaloha ukes. Wow.
Both were outlandishly figured koa tenors and David's had a cutaway. When either one was plucked, it sounded like it was plugged into a hidden amplifier. The bass frequencies out of those ukes (both tuned low G)were simply amazing.
The ukes were very mellow, perhaps too mellow for some players, but the sound, especially from David's, could have come from a full-size classical guitar.
Now if I could only afford one...
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2005 :  11:38:50 AM  Show Profile
Paul,
I can't find any low-G tenor strings here. What would happen if I used some normal tension classical guitar strings and only used the D,G,B,E strings out of the set? Would there be too little or too much neck tension? I have a Koaloha Tenor.
Aloha ke Akua,
CAPT Mike

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

KoAloha
Akahai

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2005 :  08:22:45 AM  Show Profile
Jesse - Thanks for the kind words.

Mike - Classical guitar strings should be fine, but you'll probably have to experiment with the sizes, to see what tone and tension you like. I believe Jake uses the G, B, and E strings from a classical guitar set. Since he strings with high "g," he uses the high "e" from a second pack for the "g."
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2005 :  10:03:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Capt Mike, you can get a wonderful selection of strings by contacting http://www.alternatetunings.com/ be email or phone.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

konacat
Aloha

36 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2005 :  2:37:40 PM  Show Profile
Paul,

I also just attended a workshop with Herb Ohta Jr. and David Kamakahi in Whittier CA. I agree with Jessie that those custom Koaloha Ukuleles were beautiful looking and sounded fantastic. Those two young gentlemen are very very talented and can really work their Koaloha’s. I was fortunate enough to have front row seats to see them in concert. What a treat to see and hear them play at such a close distance. WOW!

I was wondering if you knew what strings these talented guys used? I know they used a low G but I did not ask what strings they were using. They looked black and slick like maybe Hilo’s?

I found out why my Koaloha soprano with extended neck doesn’t sound that good. It all boils down to the fact that I am just a lousy musician (Ha Ha Ha). The Ukulele sounds great just not when I play it. Oh Well, I have fun anyway.

Philip

Edited by - konacat on 01/26/2005 2:38:08 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000