Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 KoAloha Q&A
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2005 :  6:53:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
David and Herb said they use Worth Strings, which are made in Japan. Both play low G tuning. Worth has a website listed on the string packaging, but I didn't write it down.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

KoAloha
Akahai

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2005 :  08:42:29 AM  Show Profile
David and Herb both use the CT-LG set. You can order them from Elderly Instruments or Ukuleleworld, and soon from us.
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2005 :  2:35:54 PM  Show Profile
Not to steal away your business, but Mike at Altered Tunings is a great guy who also carries Worth strings.
info @ alternatetunings.com

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2005 :  12:17:54 PM  Show Profile
How about the Worth CTLG-HD strings with the heavier low G string. Any big difference between that and the CTLG. What about the CHLG strings. Are they too hard for a nice feel on the KoAloha Tenor?

I am going to order some but now have too many choices (TMI).

Is there a specific reason why Herb and David use those strings? Daniel Ho stay he uses whatever Alan strings for him "
quote:
i just use whatever strings alan put on my uke. they're black with the low g wound. i also like the worth strings which doesn't have a wound low g."

Alan gave me some other strings while I visited you a while back but they have a sticky feel and make slides hard.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

KoAloha
Akahai

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2005 :  6:12:38 PM  Show Profile
I haven't tried the higher tension sets yet, so I don't know how they would feel. The normal tension is pretty easy to play, so I would imagine that the hard tension set would still play nicely.

In terms of tone, the Worth strings tend to be brighter and louder than the factory mounted black nylons. They are flourocarbon based, instead of nylon.

One other advantage to the Worth strings is that the low "g" set doesn't use a wound string. This eliminates the sliding sound when moving around on the fretboard.

Aloha,
Paul
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2005 :  06:46:13 AM  Show Profile
Paul,
Thank you. I will try them.
Keep up the good work.

Go to Top of Page

Jeebs
Aloha

1 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2005 :  12:11:09 PM  Show Profile
Hi,
I just stumbled on this forum, I'd just like to say howdy and thanks to the KoAloha folks. I was born in Honolulu and on my first trip back a couple summers ago, I received a KoAloha soprano (dated June '97) as an all-too-nice gift.

I had the intent of picking up a cheap 'uke to dink around with, but came back with an instrument that felt alive in my hands. I can probably count the days I haven't played since on one hand. I've since gotten a concert (Nov 1998)built by you folks, and am even more astonished by the quality of that instrument.

In any case, I'd just like to say I've enjoyed my instruments tremendously and hope to for years to come.
Go to Top of Page

KoAloha
Akahai

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2005 :  7:14:48 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jeebs,

I'm glad you like your KoAlohas. It's a great feeling to hear from a customer who loves their uke.

Aloha,
Paul
Go to Top of Page

konacat
Aloha

36 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2005 :  06:34:16 AM  Show Profile

When I saw Herb Jr. and David play in Whittier the strings they used were black. I have been told that Worth doesn't make black strings. Could there be an optional set they use? Recently I replaced the strings on my concert to Ko’olau golds and they are way to rough for my tender fingers.

Does anyone have an opinion for a set of strings for a Baritone? I am giving my father a Samick Baritone for his birthday. He is a life long guitar player (steel string only) so it will be no problem in the baritone standard tuning.

Thanks as always.

Philip The only thing worse than my playing is my singing.
Go to Top of Page

KoAloha
Akahai

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  6:42:06 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by konacat

When I saw Herb Jr. and David play in Whittier the strings they used were black. I have been told that Worth doesn't make black strings. Could there be an optional set they use? Recently I replaced the strings on my concert to Ko’olau golds and they are way to rough for my tender fingers.

Does anyone have an opinion for a set of strings for a Baritone? I am giving my father a Samick Baritone for his birthday. He is a life long guitar player (steel string only) so it will be no problem in the baritone standard tuning.

Thanks as always.

Go to Top of Page

1four5
Aloha

8 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  01:44:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit 1four5's Homepage
A friend of mine just got a new Samick Baritone, and I played it last weekend. What a beautiful instrument for the money, and it playes loud and clear. I'm quite suprised that there is not more talk on the internet about the Samicks, as I would put them #1 in their price range for beauty/playability/volume/tone. I have no idea what kind of strings my friends new Samick came with, but they sounded and played fantastic. On another note, I finally got around to trying the highly acclaimed Aquila Nylguts baritone strings on my old Silvertone bari uke. Sorry, but the G string broke at the 2nd fret at about 4 hours of playing time and the D string was all unraveling. The wound aquila bari strings, although they did sound pretty, have no durability.

ukeblue.com
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  1:59:28 PM  Show Profile
The high tension Worth strings sound very NICE on my KoAloha Tenor. No more squeeky on my low G string.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000