Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Camp pain decision 2005...vote here.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2005 :  06:06:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Andy:

WHAT A GREAT IDEA!!!! Lots of Hawaiian activity over there (music, gatherings, conventions, from what I understand). Good airfares and packages from all parts of the country too, since it is a premier convention destination. Maybe we can get a consensus from TP'ers and other interested parties to see if this is worth pursuing. It would be great to have a mainland event, especially for many who can't make it over the pond. It would not replace, duplicate, or compete with the camps and HMI workshops, but be just another opportunity to get together and promote Hawaiian music, share ideas, learn about new instructional materials. etc., etc. It's incredible how much this genre has evolved in just the short time I've been connected with Taropatch. Now with Hawaiian music becoming a Grammy category, who knows what'll happen!

Whaddayathink folks?
Go to Top of Page

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2005 :  06:49:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage
As some of you know I am moving to Las Vegas area (Hendeson) sometime in June. We have looked at a venue and plan on putting on a BIG slack key, Hawaiian Music show sometime in the early fall. It is an event I would hope to do annually. It can certainly be a Taro Patch Convention.

Perhaps we can combine one of Patricks Music Institutes, a big concert and lots of Kanikapila if we can get enough interested in coming. I will be more than happy to set it up with special airfares, hotel etc, but REALLY need the support in people coming if we do this.

What do you think of the idea and sometime in August or September.?
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2005 :  08:39:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Aloha Ianui (Don)!

YOU were exactly the person I was thinking of to handle this, if it became something of interest! I didn't realize that you were moving to NV either. Perfect! Even though I have been an event planner in the past, it would be very difficult for me to be able to coordinate something of this nature from long-distance. With you being there, it would certainly be more convenient to handle all the logistics and all the intricate details to produce an event like this. I'm so happy to hear that you were thinking of doing something like this already. Right on!

Date-wise, if you're thinking about this year, you might want to check w/Patrick to see when his August PNWHMI in Seattle will be so, there won't be any conflicts. Late Sept. would be ideal (the weather gets a tad cooler over there, but it may not make a difference). I don't know what the Hawaiian concert circuit looks like for the fall, but you could certainly tie in with folks being on the mainland already during August or September. Looks like on Mele.com, there isn't anything scheduled at the moment between August 21 and September 4 and thereafter until October. You probably know all this already, so I'll just zip da lip for now.

I will indeed come for something like this and also assist wherever I can to make it happen. If you want to chat more over the phone, Don, please email me through TP and I can either contact you or I can give you my number to call me.

Auntie Nancy:

I'll be on Maui until only the 27th. Poopers! Tempted to stay longer, but cannot. Was thinking of rounding up folks after the slack key fest and meeting somewhere for our last night there. I know all the AMC'ers will be concluding their weekend on Molokai too. Gosh, too much to do, so little time! I have family in L.A. I will definitely look you (and all you So. Cal. TP'ers)up when I go down there next time. It would be fun to meet ALL of you!

M
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2005 :  09:43:29 AM  Show Profile
Hey Maggie -
I sent you an e-mail and it came back. Are you sure you're up and running and it's current? And Don, I think LV is the perfect place because "significant others" have lots of things to do when they get bored with us. (how can that Be??)
Lemme know when i can help...
n

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2005 :  10:12:11 AM  Show Profile
Don, your NV proposal sounds very good. Will you be getting any "big names" to perform? Pretty sure we can get a caravan of people from the SDSKSk to go. Combining it with a HMI workshop may be a tall order however.
Count me in for any support you may need.
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2005 :  1:15:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Hey Auntie Nancy:

Just sent you an email w/my address. Try that one, and if it doesn't fly, I will see what's wrong, ok? Thanks!

M
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  8:42:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Ianui and MahinaM, and anyone else,
Guess what I got for my birthday today from my daughter and wife?!?!?!?
A trip, somewhere on the west coast, to a guitar workshop of my choice. In recent posts you both mentioned Patrick Landeza in Seattle, and the possibility of something in Las Vegas in the fall. IS there a schedule for Patricks workshops? DO you have any concrete, or even plastic, plans for Lost Wages?
Is there anyone else out there planning a lomng weekend slack key workshop? I am really excited about this, hope someone has some ideas.
Maui and Molokai are tempting, but the deal says west coast, and i really cannot afford another full week away from work.

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2005 :  7:37:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Aloha Karl!

First of all, happy birthday! Secondly, what a wonderful gift from your family! I think Patrick mentioned on another thread that he'll have his workshops all lined up by the end of the month and will post them on TP. Seattle in August looked like a strong possibility for a second HMI workshop, and even Portland has been considered. Both cities would be closest to you, I suppose. The idea about something in Las Vegas was kicked around, but nothing concrete has been posted yet. So, stay tuned, and we should hear something soon! Hope to see you at one of them!!!!

Maggie

[No more double post - duplicate deleted. -Admin]
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2005 :  10:17:25 PM  Show Profile
Last year after the Maui Slack Key Festival a group of TP'rs gathered at the Oh boy now I can't remember the name... Dolphin something in Maalaea harbor area. We did open mike and had a great time, the management there tried very hard to accomodate us all. We could do that again maybe. Sheesh, I hate growing old and forgetting things
Julie
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2005 :  04:45:27 AM  Show Profile
Hi Julie,

It was the Blue Marlin, wasn't it?

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2005 :  05:31:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Hi Julie & Reid!

D'ya think we can perhaps do this again (maybe make it an annual tradition)? Who organized it last time?

Maggie
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2005 :  06:51:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
was the blue marlin trip organized? i think that don kaulia had some hand in it...

we're going to AMC but will be on maui the week before and the day after, if anyone's keeping track of who might show up...

aloha,
keith
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2005 :  07:23:34 AM  Show Profile
It was islandboo and I who got the idea started last year as islandboo was going to come over to Maui from AMC for the Maui Slack Festival. Don Kaulia got involved (even though he was moving to Kona), and got his friend who owns/runs the Blue Marlin to invite us.
(Actually, it was going to be at another place in Wailuku, but it was changed (back) to the Blue Marlin on Sunday.)

We had a great time and lotsa TPer's showed up. Don was there and was a most excellent house backup band. One of the radio announcers from the Hawaiian Music (KXXX?) station was MC. Donley played first and serenaded us through our dinner, then others came up one (or two) at a time till we closed the place down. The place is not huge but it looks like the main table area could be stretched to accomodate about 20 folks, and more could sit on the sides.

...L

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2005 :  11:58:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Hey, any AMC'ers coming over for the Slack Key Fest this year? If so, maybe you can try and get together afterwards with us folks from the Maui workshop who aren't returning until Monday or later (or even those who want to squeeze in just one more activity before leaving that Sunday night!). Maybe we can contact the Blue Marlin again or wherever else that can accomodate us and do it again. It sounded like fun for everyone last year.

Keith, when are you heading over to Molokai from Maui that week? I'll be there (Maui) from the June 18th midday until late eve on Monday, 6/27. Would love to meet you and any other TP'er who happens to be coming over from AMC. I'm trying to rendezvous with Auntie Nancy post festival too. Auwe, so little time and so much I want to do!

M
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2005 :  12:29:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi maggie,

we'll be on island the week before camp, and will probably take the ferry over on saturday morning, june 18th. and, we're leaving for the mainland the day after AMC, sigh...

so, how many would be interested in a kanikapila on june 17th? we have a place in ka`anapali that could accomodate twenty or so folks. wish we could do this after camp, but we're winging back to the really big island.

aloha,
keith

Edited by - marzullo on 02/21/2005 12:34:34 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000